Talk

Advanced search

Visiting 2 primary schools next week - what do I ask?

(8 Posts)
aideesmum Thu 11-Sep-08 12:42:31

I am visiting the 2 local primary schools for my DS who will start Sept 09 or Jan 10 depending which school he gets into. I am taking him with me and I need to know what questions I really should ask them. Can anyone help please?

mummyloveslucy Thu 11-Sep-08 14:25:44

I asked the same question a few days ago. smile The responses I got were:

Class sizes
bullying policy
Sets
What extra help is given if needed
What extra help is there for gifted/ tallented?
What clubs do they offer?

The most important thing is the atmosphere and can you inajine your child being happy there. Instinct plays a big part.

Do the children look happy and well controlled in class, are they polite etc.

I'm going to see my daughters potential school on tuesday. Good Luck. smile

clutteredup Thu 11-Sep-08 14:35:05

Same as MLL - its how you feel when you look round that matters - is the school tidy and clean ie no broken things and graffitti. Do the children interact comfortably with the staff and how do they respond when people walk into the class. I too am looking at schools next week as we're moving. Good luck smile

Nagapie Thu 11-Sep-08 14:44:28

I would also ask what staff turnover rate is

mummyloveslucy Thu 11-Sep-08 15:12:36

I asked what 11+ pass rates were like when I visited another school. The teacher seemed a bit offish and said, the top 5% the same as all schools. Maybe that's not a good question, or she was having an off day. My daughter won't be going there anyway. wink Oh and that has nothing to do with the pass rate.

JLo2 Thu 11-Sep-08 22:39:42

I don't really think you should worry about asking particular questions unless something comes up on the day (or after it) that you want to know. You will get a 'feel' for a school and know whether it's the right one regardless (or perhaps even in spite of) of how they answer your questions.

AbbeyA Fri 12-Sep-08 08:11:21

It isn't so much the questions as the feel of the school as said by clutteredup.
If children show you around are they proud of their school? Are they keen to tell you things? If the Head shows you around she should speak to children and know their names, they should be wanting to show her things.
Does the school look clean, tidy, bright and welcoming?
Is there plenty of children's work on the walls?
Are children engaged in their work-even when not under the direct supervision of the teacher?
Is there evidence of interesting projects, drama, trips out etc?
Can you see your DC fitting in?

I would ask about bullying, if they say they don't have any I would be worried, I would want to know about their anti bullying policy.
I would ask the same questions as mummyloveslucy but I wouldn't ask about 11+ (it may not be relevent anyway).

AbbeyA Fri 12-Sep-08 08:24:25

Sorry relevant -I should proof read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now