Talk

Advanced search

How early did you start 'preparing' for the 11+?

(11 Posts)
clutteredup Thu 11-Sep-08 12:22:24

Just discovered there are grammar schools where we are about to move to. DS 7 is quite bright and I guess he would have a chance but he is so unmotivated at school ( see other thread about writing).
If I started 'planning' now would it be just be being pushy? I don't want to be a pushy mum but....or am I just ahead of myself here? Am I just putting more worries than I need at the moment?
How early did you 'plan' your DCs academic future?

Creole Thu 11-Sep-08 13:34:33

Well, I know of a child who is being tutored to death at the moment and he is only 6. Also, he was bragging to my child which secondary school he WILL be going to - one of the top in the country.

Creole Thu 11-Sep-08 13:40:17

BTW, I didn't answer your question...but I would start preparing late yr4/early yr5.

Before that, I'll make sure there are no gaps in he's education - knowing times tables, number bonds, reading fluently, writing imaginatively, loads of trips to historic places, museums etc.

ingles2 Thu 11-Sep-08 13:47:52

in Kent, they take the 11+ in September of yr 6 now. So I will be tutoring DS1 from January of Yr 5. HTH's

clutteredup Thu 11-Sep-08 14:11:39

Thanks thats really answered my question - I didn't know they take it in September - I suppose it makes sense.I decided to concentrate on picking up his slack writing skills at the moment even before we knew about this, but I think that's what you're getting at. He's got to be good at the normal stuff if he's going to be in with a chance and then we'll look at the grammar school angle a bit later on. He got level 3's in all but his writing so I think he's quite capable but his writing was 2b which although 'average' and therefore fine won't get him into grammar school. I just wondered if I was beginning to fuss a bit to early but he's Year 3 now and a bit of a slacker I need to encourage him into the right mindset to do well at school. Thank you smile

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Thu 11-Sep-08 14:16:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Thu 11-Sep-08 14:17:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clutteredup Thu 11-Sep-08 14:20:00

DS is bright but not terribly motivated - frustrating as he does quite well at most things without effort. Not keen on working at school thus the writing thing - I guess I'm going to have to work on this area hmm

clam Thu 11-Sep-08 15:01:09

But of course, if you leave it too late, you won't be able to get a tutor (if that's your plan) for love nor money.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 11-Sep-08 17:22:31

Would not worry too much about the writing - especially as he is a boy - both my DS were completely uninterestd in writing, but suddenly at the age of 8 seemed t 'get' it. It is partly to do woth motor skills, which develp attheir own pace and trying to hurry them up is completely pointless. last year DS2' summer diary was completely illegible, and very sparse. this year it could be an entirely different child, it was legible and intersting and
pages of it. this was not doen to teaching, tutoring or nagging - just purely development as he has suddenly become more mature in other behavioural ways.
But if you want a tutor for the 11+ which kost people seem to use, you need to find out who on the local grapevine (pester year 6 parents unashamedly, especailly those with no siblings your child's age as your peers may not be so forthcoming!!)

mumblechum Fri 12-Sep-08 14:08:20

DS started doing practice papers at home (no tutor) from about 18 months before the test & got through OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now