Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone opted out of collective worship for their child?

(7 Posts)
Dragonbutter Tue 09-Sep-08 10:07:56

How does it work?

Fennel Tue 09-Sep-08 10:11:12

I think you just have to send a letter to the school. I haven't done it because school assemblies tend to be far more than just an "act of worship" and I think the children would miss out on all the certificate-giving and notices and all that.

But I would opt the dc out of collective worship or RE if they asked me to.

Dragonbutter Tue 09-Sep-08 10:16:20

It's a tricky one isn't it.
I just wonder if anyone actually does it.

StellaDallas Tue 09-Sep-08 10:19:59

I wouldn't do it, because the worship bit is such a tiny part of assembly and they would miss out on the 90% that is about being part of the school community. Still think it is ridiculous that they are required to have it though.

Fennel Tue 09-Sep-08 10:20:57

One person did it at the primary school I went to as a child, she always seemed really left out, sitting outside the school office on her own. Things might have changed but I suspect not. It's a way of making your child stick out a lot, I think, which they might not thank you for.

Dragonbutter Tue 09-Sep-08 12:46:31

You'd think there would be enough parents against the 'broadly christian' nature of collective worship that there could be a group of children who would meet while the others are singing hymns to do something else.
I understand that the 'collective worship' really means assembly and is not all about worshipping. But it seems odd that to opt out of the worshipping would make my child excluded from the community aspect of assembly.

Spatz Tue 09-Sep-08 13:07:49

I know a Muslim woman who took her daughter out of trips to the church at the church school. She had to actually look after her during that time! I'm not sure how she felt about assembly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now