Talk

Advanced search

Kumon - has anyone used this teaching method?

(6 Posts)
Hethbell Tue 09-Sep-08 01:42:48

Hi all

My son has some learning difficulties and a friend has recommended Kumon an asian teaching centre that gives the child work at there own level and they only advance when they are ready, not based on age just ability.
Has anyone out there experience of it? How was it?
Any info would be great. Thanks

snorkle Tue 09-Sep-08 07:39:40

Kumon was recommended by ed. psych. for dd too. We found it very repetitive, boring and monotonous but stuck it out for quite a while & it did help her learn her bonds. I think it was good for her because she has memory problems and it was the memorising of addition/subtraction bonds and tables that was problematic and she needed the daily practice. For a child that needed stuff explaining to them I don't think it would be so good. For a parent that was organised enough to do a little every day it wouldn't be necessary. It is expensive btw.

singersgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 10:57:33

There are lots of threads on Kumon if you type it into the site search facility. We do it for DS1 and have done for just over a year - it has really helped his confidence in maths. It is very boring and repetitive, and expensive too.

willali Tue 09-Sep-08 13:15:14

my two do it - because they both find maths difficult (not a specific SEN issue though)and yes it is boring and repetitive but as long as you make it a part of the daily routine and prepare yourself for a fair bit of moaning about it then I really believe it has helped both of them from learning basic number bonds up to fractions which is what my elder child is doing now, and beyond.

I think it works because it means doing a little bit of maths every day, almost creating a "white noise" of numeracy in the background IYSWIM. It also I believe instils discipline and persistence and there are enough rewards along the way to keep them motivated.

It is expensive but if yo can afford it I would recommend it.

You should be aware that it takes up a fair bit of YOUR time in terms of marking the work so you might want to consider if it fits into YOUR life too...

Hulababy Tue 09-Sep-08 14:15:28

It is really exensive - over £40 a month IIRR.

Mixed reviews from what I can gather. vERY REPETITIVE, WORKSHEET TYPE STUFF THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE SEVERAL TIMES A WEEL.

Soory re caps.

Hethbell Wed 10-Sep-08 08:01:11

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like it is what we have been looking for. DS only seems to learn by hours of repetition which is what we do already.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now