Talk

Advanced search

URGH. I know dss are in a Catholic school but do they really have to tell ds1 that god created man from clay?

(176 Posts)
KerryMum Sat 06-Sep-08 21:26:51

And he's believing it.

feck feck feck.

I don't have any choice here in Ireland. Religious instruction is a requirement to be taught.

it's doing my head in.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sat 06-Sep-08 21:29:17

grin

KerryMum Sat 06-Sep-08 21:31:04

I mean I find in unfathomable that a grown, educated man is going to stand in front of a classroom full of boys and say that an imaginary being created man despite all scientific evidence to the contrary.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sat 06-Sep-08 21:32:57

In the scheme of things, how bad is it ??

They will figure it out for themselves in the long run.

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Sat 06-Sep-08 21:33:20

Educate Together????

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Sat 06-Sep-08 21:35:04

Yes, agree Bree. I was taught all of this stuff too, and somewhere along the line, your brain throws it up in the air, filters it and only the facts remain!

KerryMum Sat 06-Sep-08 21:35:23

they still have to do religious instruction as well naughtiest.

Plus have heard very bad reports about local ET school around the levels the kids are at. when ds1 started school the local was in its second year and very much a start up. It also has 0 facilities.

PeaMcLean Sat 06-Sep-08 21:35:39

Don't you talk about it at home and give your opinion?

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sat 06-Sep-08 21:36:32

So take them out, if you don't like it.

KerryMum Sat 06-Sep-08 21:36:33

but it's his insistence that is freaking me out!!!!

aaaaggghhhh..

I never would have taught him that clap trap.

KerryMum Sat 06-Sep-08 21:37:56

I can't bree. where would I put them? They have been very good about his other sn (health and educational). He just came out with this prize winning shocker tonight and said, Mr. so and so says that God created us from clay and he created the universe in 7 days.

wtf?

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Sat 06-Sep-08 21:37:59

I'm just curious, but is it any better in america? You know, people like a candidate for vice presidency being a creationist surprises me . Is it that religion is not taught at all in schools?

Blandmum Sat 06-Sep-08 21:38:15

If you don't want them to have a religious education, why pick that school? Why pick a school if you don't share the ethos?

KerryMum Sat 06-Sep-08 21:38:30

I did talk to him about it tonight but he said Mr. So and So is the teacher, he knows EVERYTHING.

shock

PeaMcLean Sat 06-Sep-08 21:38:47

grin

He'll work it out in due course. Don't worry, I don't think he's in danger of being a creationist for the rest of his life, surely.

KerryMum Sat 06-Sep-08 21:39:21

mb - I don't have any choices. The ET school wouldn't\couldn't accomodate him regarding his health problems. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

GodzillasBumcheek Sat 06-Sep-08 21:39:28

How old is he? When i attended a Catholic School they didn't start banging on about the Creation theory story stuff until i was old enough to know about dinosaurs and evolution. They must be starting very early! Sorry, no help i do realise, i just am quite surprised.

MrsMattie Sat 06-Sep-08 21:39:43

PMS:. Oh dear.

MB - I think most schools in the Rep of Ireland are catholic, aren't they? I don't think you get a choice.

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Sat 06-Sep-08 21:39:51

KerryMum, I don't think it would be any better in UK tbh. If that helps at all! My dd used to go to a C of E school in the UK, and she got a bit of that tehre too.. But I guess I was just more relaxed about it.

LynetteScavo Sat 06-Sep-08 21:39:57

He won't always believe it though!

DS is in a Catholic school, and thankfully he has been taught quite a balanced view on creation, adn told to make up his own mind. TBH, I was a but suprised, but pleased.

Are all schools in Ireland religous?

MrsMattie Sat 06-Sep-08 21:40:05

PMSL, I meant. Sorry. I know it's not funny. But it sort of is.

Bluestocking Sat 06-Sep-08 21:40:08

My DS (4.6) has been asking me questions about god - his nursery (which he's just left) is entirely secular, but there are some kids from godbotherin families in his group. On Thursday coming home from nursery we were talking about thunderstorms and why he wasn't going to be hit by lightning - I said it was usually the tallest thing around, like a tree or a tall building, that would be hit. He asked if god would be hit by lightning, and I said no, because god was imaginary. Oddly, I did feel a qualm, even though I've had no qualms about being clear with him that other imaginary things (Father Christmas etc) are imaginary.
I suppose my point is that you should tell DS what you think, and let him have another point of view to put alongside the god and clay stuff.

mabanana Sat 06-Sep-08 21:40:29

Blimey, won't anyone dare to say this is rubbish? Because it obviously is. Isn't it wrong for teachers to tell kids rubbish and pretend it is real?

Lizzylou Sat 06-Sep-08 21:40:58

But, does it surprise you? You know they are in a catholic school, in Ireland, of course they will be taught the story of creation. It's hardly a shocker!

PeaMcLean Sat 06-Sep-08 21:41:17

Take him to a zoo to see some monkeys and talk about evolution. DS is fascinated and recently poo pooed the Garden of Eden story as a result. (oooh I was so proud)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now