Talk

Advanced search

train fares to school

(9 Posts)
3littlefrogs Sat 06-Sep-08 15:32:47

Ds has to pay full fare to school (he is 17). He has to be there by 9.00h. A student rail card is only valid after 10.00h.

His fares will cost me £5 per day for this academic year.

Is there any other option I don't know about?

I know there probably isn't, but the price of everything has gone up so much.....

It is only about 3 stops, just too far to walk or cycle.

Blandmum Sat 06-Sep-08 15:34:06

would a season ticket work out cheaper in the long term?

compo Sat 06-Sep-08 15:34:11

is there a bus that might be cheaper?
round here all chuldren get free bus fare but i can't remember if that stops at 16

badgermonkey Sat 06-Sep-08 15:35:28

He should get a season ticket - mine would be about £7 a day but it costs £85 for a month, so I save over £55 (because it's 30/31 days rather than four weeks).

SqueakyPop Sat 06-Sep-08 15:35:43

Check out your County website - the roads & transport part.

My DS is getting a bus pass that costs £10 and lets him continue to pay child fares. It is only valid for routes that begin and end in Surrey, and he had to nominate a single route.

There is also a train pass that does the same thing (nothing to do with the Young Persons or Student railcard scheme).

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Sep-08 15:39:13

We are just doing the sums re a season ticket ATM.

There is a bus, but it is very unreliable and if it doesn't turn up, as happens frequently in winter, he has to get the train anyway. Bus fare is cheaper, but he gets detention for being late, and train is more reliable in the mornings. It is a dilemma.

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Sep-08 15:44:08

Unfortunately we live right on the border of 2 boroughs. So any scheme for reduced fares in our borough are only valid within the borough. You are not allowed to cross over.

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Sep-08 15:46:16

He has just told me he won't get detention for being late, apparantly they don't do that in the sixth form. However, I would prefer that he arrived on time for lessons, for all the usual reasons.

flack Sat 06-Sep-08 16:10:34

Liftshare?
How far is it, if he were to try and cycle one or 2 days a week?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now