Talk

Advanced search

Autumn Term Topic for Year 2: "When will I be famous?" WTF IS THAT ALL ABOUT?

(24 Posts)
GivePeasAChance Thu 04-Sep-08 21:19:07

Letter home from school about Year 2 - and the topic for this term is "When will I be famous?"

Please someone tell me this is not celebrity worship. What could this be about?

Moomin Thu 04-Sep-08 21:21:49

Well you'd hope not wouldn't you?!

but I'd hold fire until you have more details of the project. It might be research into the early lives of famous people or something. when will you find out?

GivePeasAChance Thu 04-Sep-08 21:25:54

Maybe they will be reading OK! and Hello! ?

I suppose I will find out what the topic is actually about when/if DS tells me what they have been doing.

I just can't see what relevance the word 'famous' has for 6 and 7 year olds.

tortoiseshell Thu 04-Sep-08 21:27:25

ISn't that a Bros song? (shows age)

When will I, will I be famous?

(I can't answer, I can't answer that)

When will I see my picture in the papers?

I can't answer, I can't answer that

But I can tell you when
you'll see my name up in lights....

When will I, will I be famous?

You keep asking me that -

RustyBear Thu 04-Sep-08 21:28:27

This is the history unit they will presumably be studying - it looks at how history is at least partly a study of famous people and why they are famous - usually it's done by looking at a particular famous person, but it looks like your school may be taking a different approach, asking the children to think about what they might do to become famous - probably they would then compare their ideas (Play football, be a pop star) with what madde people famous in history.

Madlentileater Thu 04-Sep-08 21:29:40

no! no!
even if it does end up with researching'famous people' emphasis should be on the fantastic things they DID not that they were famous....awful, bad, depressing.

Madlentileater Thu 04-Sep-08 21:30:38

no! no!
even if it does end up with researching'famous people' emphasis should be on the fantastic things they DID not that they were famous....awful, bad, depressing.

Hulababy Thu 04-Sep-08 21:36:16

Depending on how it is done and the types of being "famous" they use, I thnk this could be quite a fun topic.

gladbag Thu 04-Sep-08 21:36:31

I was thinking along the same lines as RustyBear, although that link is for a KS3 unit (beginning of Secondary).
Y2 children usually do a project on finding out about a famous person (see here). The 'standard' one is Florence Nightingale, but it could be anyone of historical interest. The blurb in National Curriculum says 'Children should learn about the lives of significant men, women and children drawn from the history of Britain and the wider world [for example, artists, engineers, explorers, inventors, pioneers, rulers, saints, scientists]'. I imagine the teacher has just given the topic a catchy (hmm) title.

Moomin Thu 04-Sep-08 21:38:48

Think you might be forgetting the real meaning of the word famous, which is simply "well-known". It might actually be an interesting project that compares people that have achieved fame through human achievement and those that have merely been exposed to the media. (Although at Year 2, that might be stretching it a tad!)

Madlentileater Thu 04-Sep-08 21:39:53

but it's the WRONG catchy title!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RustyBear Thu 04-Sep-08 21:44:01

blush
That was what I meant to link to gladbag! - I found that one first & then searched again & didn't read the second page properly - I thought it was further explanation of the KS1 unit - it does actually sound like they may be starting with the children's ideas of what makes a person famous.

Moomin Thu 04-Sep-08 21:45:21

Yeah how dare the teacher try to use a catchy title that is likely to offend band-wagon-jumping parents who would love to be able to slag off a project that s/he has probably spent most of the summer writing to try and engage their pupils in a fun way hmm

Do you really think teachers would consider a study of Paris Hilton suitable for their class of 6 & 7 year olds?

Don't wait til you know what it's about - Write to the Headteacher, the Governors and of course your MP straight away

hmmgrin

GivePeasAChance Thu 04-Sep-08 21:47:20

It's the I bit that is a bit wierd IMO. Why do they need to be famous?

Moomin Thu 04-Sep-08 21:49:34

It's just a song title!
It's instead of a title like "Famous and worthy figureheads in the 19th and 20th Century" or somesuch, I would imagine.

Perhapa the teacher will be telling the kids that they can be famous - by winning the Nobel Peace Prize or summat

FluffyMummy123 Thu 04-Sep-08 21:49:57

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Thu 04-Sep-08 21:50:09

The I bit could be to get the children's imagination going, to consider new and exciting things that THEY could be involved in, to consider the things they are good at, etc.

Yes, they may not actually be famous in the future, and being famous is not important, but this jut sounds like a catchy title for the teacher to have used, to introduce the topic in a fun way.

Trafficcone Thu 04-Sep-08 21:50:13

Because it's a song title GPAC!! My kids have all enjoyed this topic and Dd got very into it, comparing a 'sleb' with someone who is famous from the past.

Hulababy Thu 04-Sep-08 21:50:49

Bet teacher is around early 30s perhaps? That would make around the right age for Bros wouldn't it?

PeaMcLean Thu 04-Sep-08 21:56:47

Do year 2s know any slebs?

DS did something similar and learned about Grace Darling.

DS wouldn't have a clue about Beckham or similar.

GivePeasAChance Thu 04-Sep-08 22:00:48

The song title was from the 80s. Doubt they will get the 'joke'.

I appreciate looking at achievements of certain people is valid but I really don't think celebdom should be celebrated any further than it already is - epsecially not at 6. It is futile and poor and bad for well being.

ANd yes same here Peas - DS wouldn't have a clue about slebs, so would have to be TAUGHT about them - oh how sad.

You can be excellent at something and achieve WITHOUT being famous, which is why ultimately the relatively jokey title is unnecessary.

Not sure how old the teacher is. Not good at ages after 30.

Hulababy Thu 04-Sep-08 22:02:48

My Y2 DD would know about some celebs - but age appropriate ones such as Hannah Montana, the stars of HSM, etc. A couple of the boys I know would know who certain footballers are, such as Beckham.

Moomin Thu 04-Sep-08 22:05:03

Oh my life

You don't know what it's about yet, so stop getting all chuffy about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now