Advanced search

how do you make boys write essays whent hey hate them

(18 Posts)
FluffyMummy123 Thu 04-Sep-08 20:14:54

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 04-Sep-08 20:16:27

Message withdrawn

robinpud Thu 04-Sep-08 20:19:07

Bribe them with serious amounts of cash.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 04-Sep-08 20:19:47

Message withdrawn

AMumInScotland Thu 04-Sep-08 20:23:51

Bribery?
Threats?
Promised rewards?
Guilt?
Frankly, I don't know what you'd have to bribe/threaten me with to write an essay on any of those topics grin

I'm really helpful, amn't I?

FluffyMummy123 Thu 04-Sep-08 20:25:04

Message withdrawn

robinpud Thu 04-Sep-08 20:26:17

Oh god, well then give them all the tricks of the trade ; ie make sure they understand that it is game playing at its worst and that they have to include certain things to get the marks. If he's not so hot on descriptive language then work on that- looking at text examples, analysing why they are effective, taking a sensory walk through different settings ( use still from favourite dvds) and then practice writing. build his confidence and drink lots of wine yourself

WHY is he doing this?

FabioFlangeCat Thu 04-Sep-08 20:26:51

Start with spidergrams and cartoons.
Then get descriptive.
Introduce thesaurus function in Word or a real live genuine thesaurus.
"Find how many words there are for 'bum/rubbish essay/cat' why dontcha?" will spark interest.
As will the cash.

I want skis.
I've put in a request on the Christmas Appeal.

FabioFlangeCat Thu 04-Sep-08 20:36:56

Google for lists of metaphors and similies.

lol at rough hippo skin

Was he writing about you?

<legs it as fast as collar will allow>

scaryteacher Thu 04-Sep-08 21:49:05

Remove PS2 and other games consoles. Padlock bookcases. Cut plug off computer. Sit child at table/desk.

Give reward/bribe for every paragraph written.

Normal night doing English homework here.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 05-Sep-08 09:10:19

Message withdrawn

fircone Fri 05-Sep-08 09:20:01

I heard from a mother at the local prep school that they all practise essays with content that can hopefully be used whatever title is given.

Eg: Someone I admire

I admire Great Uncle Cornelius. Although his skin is as rough as a hippo covered with mud, he is...

Alone

I was petrified. My skin was so goosepimpled I felt as rough as a hippo covered with mud...

The Prince of Darkness is a Gentleman

Although we may fear him as we fear a wild hippo, skin rough with mud, we also know that...

FluffyMummy123 Fri 05-Sep-08 09:20:48

Message withdrawn

fircone Fri 05-Sep-08 09:20:59

As you can see, I am severely procrastinating about going out in the rain to do the shopping...

robinpud Fri 05-Sep-08 12:19:56

Please explain- does the 11+ now include an ESSAY ? Or is this the entrance test for some poncey school you want ds1 to get into?

Is it not worth getting a tutor? It all sounds horrible; am so glad not to have to deal with 11+. It made me ill as a child and have never seen the point of worrying about exams since.... but would hate to have to worry about my children and can sympathise with those who have to play the 11+ game.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:22:15

Message withdrawn

Jux Fri 05-Sep-08 12:38:22

An old friend of mine used to work at Merchant Taylor's! I wonder if he still does.

PrimulaVeris Fri 05-Sep-08 12:52:09

My ds (9) writes stuff like the hippo analogy. Thank god he's not doing 11+

His teacher last year: "He has not got a single ounce of imagination. I've never seen such a boring story"
Me: "It's got a, um, dragon, knight and big battle in it. He had to imagine those"
Teacher: "But there is NO DESCRIPTION!!!"
Me: "But wouldn't it be rather 18+ blood and gore if he did?"
Teacher, unsmiling: "That is not the attitude"

Me to ds afterwards: just stick in those describing words syou say are boring and get in the way of the story to keep her quiet. No battles, mind.

Sort of worked for a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now