Talk

Advanced search

Can apply for Ds1's secondary school place online tomorrow for sept 2009, have to apply under rule 2. Anyone know much about this??

(9 Posts)
SparklyGothKat Mon 01-Sep-08 21:15:42

Ds1 has Cerebral Palsy, no statement, but we can apply under rule 2 ie: medical and social needs. We have been to see the school that the eductional Phys. has recommended for him and its ideal, completely disabled adapted, has a very good OFSTED report, will push him (he is very bright) and its every thing we need. The only thing is its not our nearest school. Its 3.4 miles from our house, the other disabled adapted school is 3 miles (but is not as good) and another school is about 1.5 miles (but is not disabled friendly as over 3 floors)

Has anyone ever applied under rule 2 and how do I do it??

TIA

SparklyGothKat Mon 01-Sep-08 21:26:56

also have just found that Ds1 would be able to get transport to school, how does this work?? thanks

ChazsBarmyArmy Mon 01-Sep-08 21:55:54

Hi there
I would try posting this on the Special Educational Needs board or the Special Needs board as they may have more experience of this.

dinasaw Mon 01-Sep-08 22:41:55

I've no experience of applying under rule 2, but I do sit on school admission appeal panels for my local authority.
Make sure you read carefully all advice for applicants and if you are in any doubt ring the local authority and ask any questions you have.
I should imagine there will be a section on the form asking on which grounds are you applying for a place. This is where you state medical and social needs. Don't send medical reports, ed phy recommendations unless the forms specifically asks for this. They will contact you if they need this.
There should also be some tick boxes asking if you give permission for them to seek Doctors reports. Tick these.
Make sure you put the schools down in the order you want them ie first, second choice etc.
When all the forms are in after the closing date, usually October, they count up all the applications for each school and try and match parental preference. I think under rule 2 you may get allocated due to medical and social needs higher other admission criteria.
If you don't get a school that is adequate for your child's needs then you can ask to appeal.
Hope this makes sense! Best of luck.

SparklyGothKat Mon 01-Sep-08 22:44:55

If I put 3 schools down, the 1st one being the one 3.4 miles, and then 2 further away (as the 2 in the town are not very good) will they just give us a nearby school?

SparklyGothKat Tue 02-Sep-08 16:31:34

have applied now, applying under rule 2. Spoke to the helpline, and they said they just need a letter from the EP to back up our application. He also is sending us a form for transport as Ds1 is entitled to free transport.

Nymphadora Tue 02-Sep-08 16:55:09

May not do transport if you are outside the catchment area though at .4 miles you may be able to talk them round. My last school (SN) had about 20 kids sorting own transport cos they weren't entitled.

SparklyGothKat Tue 02-Sep-08 17:13:41

according to the website, if we can show his disability means he is unable to walk that far then he can get transport. He cant walk 1 mile let alone 3.4

Nymphadora Wed 03-Sep-08 11:49:01

Just meant they only transport her to the nearest 'appropriate' school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now