Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My Y9 class ...done so well!

(22 Posts)
happymerryberries Sun 20-Feb-05 13:45:00

In the interest of balance, since I so often moan about some of the kids that I teach, can I just tell you all how well my Y9 class have done in a KS3 sats mock. It was an awful test and they all got level 5s and higher. I know that sats are pants but these kids are realy rising to them.

It almost made up for having to spend Sunday morning marking it!

Yorkiegirl Sun 20-Feb-05 13:45:44

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Sun 20-Feb-05 13:45:54

Message withdrawn

pixiefish Sun 20-Feb-05 13:46:36

Excellent hmb. Hope they do as well in the actuals. Good level 5's are worthy of praise.

Didn't have yr 9 group this year so have avoided sats marking

happymerryberries Sun 20-Feb-05 13:49:04

It kills you ,doen't it ?

I had to give the same test to a 'bottom' set and they have none so badly, and I was just getting them to think that they could suceed. So I've made a star chart of them to try to get them to 'engage'. The will get a raffle ticket for each star they get, with a raffle prize every week or so. I'm at my wits end with them, some have made no progress in KS3 at all!

pixiefish Sun 20-Feb-05 13:53:26

We find that though hmb. Then they catch up in KS4. IMO its the fact that there's no real 'continuity' between primary and secondary national curriculum grade depictors- not between the schools but in the national curriculum.

happymerryberries Sun 20-Feb-05 13:58:02

No agree, I have kids who got a 5 in KS2 and will probably get a 5 at KS3. My worry is that this bottom set are working at level 3 and some of them came in on a 4!.....major behavioural issue at the root of much of it It has taken me until now to get them to do any work. Had fights and all sorts to deal with up until a few months ago, solicitors involved (what kids have a solicitor ffs?!)

They are quite low attainment and cannot hold information from one lesson to the next, let alone apply it to a question. In desparation I am going to intitute the star chart and give them mini tests each lesson....oddly they like this, I think it reminds them of Primary and makes them feel more secure. I'd love any advice if you have any!

pixiefish Sun 20-Feb-05 14:12:19

but what i'm saying is that the levels don't match. a 5 in primary is nowhere near a 5 in secondary. if that were the case then the kids could sit gcse and get a c in year 8 (basing that on the fact that if they get a 5 in year 9 we expect them to get a c in two years time iyswim). they should have a wider range of levels imo- 1 -10 or something. kids that get a 5 at ks3 go into our b sets for gcse and are pushed and treated fairly similarly to an a set. there's no way that a child could come up from primary and do this (whish if they were a secondary level 5 they should be able to) iyswim.

the whole system is pants. unfortunately we have to work within it. have you heard of paul ginnis and his kinisthetic approach to learning. lots of role play etc (yup in science as well) hard with a low ability set if their behavious is pants though.

teacher in role, kids ask you quewstions.

chop the paper into tiny chunks. questions on cards at front, kids in teams answer one q, check answer with you. another kid has to get2nd q, etc etc, race to finish.

traffic lights- red, yellow green cards 4 all pupils, have to hold appropriate coloured card up to show understanding.

2 packs playingt cards, 1 pack 4 you, the other given to pupils, you deal, whoever has that card has to answer q- kjeeps them all on their toes-

that's the sort of thing paul ginnis does- v good

happymerryberries Sun 20-Feb-05 14:20:40

THis class is incapable of any sort of group work as they become offensive and/or drift off if they are not doing something now. It is as much as I can do to get them to wait with their hand up....one kid once said' Why bother miss, you don't solve my probelm staight away, you make me wait'

I agree about the levels, but this class realy have 'failed' to make any progress . Well, at least I haven't had a fight for a while!

happymerryberries Sun 20-Feb-05 14:21:16

Oh, do traffic light, most of them will not take part, and just rip the cards up!

pixiefish Sun 20-Feb-05 19:08:31

hmb- sorry- I know what you mean- I have a class like that... ringing so many bells with me

happymerryberries Sun 20-Feb-05 19:11:02

They are getting better, and no longer fight, but normal meaninful interaction seems to be beyond them. What hacks me off is that on any one day two of them will have had a fight in the lunch time, but just to confuse me it is never the same two!

Hulababy Sun 20-Feb-05 20:14:56

Good to hear they have done so well

tigermoth Mon 21-Feb-05 12:49:11

glad you're happier with your year 9s.

I have heard primary school level 5s are not the same as secondary school level 5s. How confusing for everyone! Are the secondary ones murch harder?

maddiemo Mon 21-Feb-05 13:09:10

hmb Glad your year 9 did so well. It is lovely to read.

Ds2 has a teacher who gives out raffle tickets with a prize on Friday. This is at primary but I bet it would work on some secondary kids.

My ds3 has sn and a very poor memory, he is the kind of child that would not be able to retain but would also probably enjoy mini tests each week as it would help him know where he stood so to speak.

Sorry you have such an uphill battle with the class.

happymerryberries Mon 21-Feb-05 16:24:43

Just an update on the star chart thingie. The class loved the idea. They all managed to get at least one star (out of a possible 3) today. For each start they get a raffle ticket and there will be a raffle in 5 lessons time. Lets see if that works.....it significanly 'upped' their work rate and all bar 2 behaved beautifuly

Moomin Mon 21-Feb-05 17:02:50

well done hmb and your y9s

don't even get me started on the difference between level 5 at ks2 and 3 in english - there's no relation at all, which is awful to have to explain to y7 parents

happymerryberries Mon 21-Feb-05 17:13:33

And also to good, hardworking kids in Y9 who are gutted that they are still on a level 5 when they came into school with a level 5!

Mind you I am still realing today, after reading the course work of a smashing kid in the upper sixth, who is also doing English, and cannot tell the difference between their and there!

Moomin Mon 21-Feb-05 17:29:41

ah, but that child obviously didn't go through the literacy hour did they? cos those that did know every grammar/spelling/punctuation rule and exactly where and when to apply it

.... NOT

happymerryberries Mon 21-Feb-05 17:39:11

And just in the interest of balance, I have lots of nice, bright kids in Y9 (second set) who cannot divide 400 by 32 when they have a calculator. ARGGGGHHHHHHHHH! One girl in the lower sixth form (biology set) seriously thought that the sun was alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we are not dumbing down are we??????????

milliways Mon 21-Feb-05 17:50:09

So glad to hear you are pleased with level 5's & 6's. My DD is in top set & predicted 7,7,8 which is unbelievable pressure. It would be fantastic if she achieved this but to EXPECT it of a 14yy old is horrible. They are choosing options now & being given predicte GCSE results. If they predict all As won't some kids just think they don't nees to do much work then?

happymerryberries Mon 21-Feb-05 17:55:43

I also teach kids who are 'on' for a 7. In fact in the class I originaly posted about we have everything from a 5 to a 7. In the 'top' set most will be expected to get 6s and 7s. To be quite honest I will be more pleased with the kids who work hard and get a 5 than those who coast and get a 7 iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now