Talk

Advanced search

will dd need a pencil case and school bag for reception class?

(20 Posts)
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 29-Aug-08 15:25:17

dh thinks that she will. i know she will need a pe kit and bag and i have got her one. but dh thinks that she will need stationary and a bag.

my sister says that she will need a homework bag but you get them from the school. the booklets we got didnt say anything about that. and i thought that reception class was just an extension of nursery and she wouldnt be doing much school work it would be mainly play?

i cant phone the school they are closed.

Majeika Fri 29-Aug-08 15:32:24

you can buy reading folders from school

no to pens and pencils - school provide it!

WideWebWitch Fri 29-Aug-08 15:33:42

I don't think so, my dd's school has asked for them to JUST bring book bags and lunch boxes as there's no room for loads of bags all over the place. I'm sure she'll be given pencils and stuff at school and won't need one.

dinny Fri 29-Aug-08 15:34:06

definitely no to stationery - school provide it

Hulababy Fri 29-Aug-08 15:34:29

Depends on the school.

DD is at a private school and does take her own pencil case, with crayons, pencils, ruler, sharpener and eraser. Others are provided at school too.

Majeika Fri 29-Aug-08 15:35:26

LOL Hula!! shock

You pay for private school but they dont provide pens and pencils!!!!!

She will need a bookbag (or school's equivelent (sp?!)) to put reading books/word cards etc in. She won't need any stationary and I actively discourage you from sending her in with it as it can cause all sorts of problems, lending it out, losing it, leaving in playground etc! (have you guessed I'm a teacher yet?wink)

dinny Fri 29-Aug-08 15:36:53

tut tut - it's stationERY not ARY

equivalent and stationery <shame>

Hulababy Fri 29-Aug-08 15:37:30

Majieka - they do provide them as well. But the girls are expected to have their own kit as well, and their own satchel - and learn to take responsibility for them themselves.

TBH it is no problem and I can see where they are coming from. As an ex secondary school teacher there were many children coming to us in Y7 who just didn't have a clue about looking after their own equipment, coming to lessons with a pen, etc. So, yes perhaps a bit much at reception, but can definitely see the benefit for later on in primary.

HA! Dinny! Beat me to it smile - I've never know the difference and equivalent also a puzzler, had to look it up in online dictionary blush

dinny Fri 29-Aug-08 15:39:45

totally missed your equivalent <<oops>>

Sidge Fri 29-Aug-08 15:40:39

I doubt very much she'll need any pens, pencils or stationery, or a bag. Many schools offer book bags which you can buy for a couple of quid, which they use to send home reading books, artwork and letters.

I did cover myself with a (sp?) I KNOW I can't spell it! grin

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 29-Aug-08 16:41:23

yeah the school sells the reading bags ill get her one on monday but no stationary. dh is worried about her being bullied i think as even though its a state school its the poshest one in our town and we are not posh!!

he wants to make sure she will have what every one else has.

mrz Fri 29-Aug-08 16:51:58

As a reception teacher I have to say that children's own stationery is a pain as everyone wants it and by the end of the day the child only has pencil stumps left because everyone wanted to use the sharpener grin

Anna8888 Fri 29-Aug-08 16:53:59

The school sends us a precise list of supplies at the end of the summer term - they are to be bought and taken in on the first day of the September term. I would be surprised that the school would expect you to guess what to buy. I'd wait and see at the beginning of term.

Califrau Fri 29-Aug-08 16:54:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrz Fri 29-Aug-08 16:57:47

We supply everything including bags (rucksacks are a pet hate because they are usually bigger than most of my class)

Clary Sun 31-Aug-08 00:04:08

prob yes to book bag, get from school (first day will be soon enough).

Prob no to pencils etc, but school should tell you.

Our jnr school requests pencil case and the other primary here does too but I think that's unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now