Talk

Advanced search

Help needed- son wants to research "psychology behind advertising "

(8 Posts)
sasquatch Tue 26-Aug-08 21:19:05

Can anyone advise me what books would be suitable for a serious 13 y.o wanting to do a project on this? and where I might find them?

I have seen some giant coffee table sized things with beautiful images and others which are far too technical, all costing about £25. Am I flogging a dead horse do you think?

Marina Tue 26-Aug-08 21:25:15

Vance Packard is a good starting point. He was a revolutionary writer when this was first issued and it is still relevant today
Hidden Persuaders

No Logo is also important

Marina Tue 26-Aug-08 21:28:35

But this is much more age appropriate I guess Made you look

LittleBella Tue 26-Aug-08 21:43:19

He might get a good response from some of the big advertising agencies, if he approaches them. The planning departments of agencies like Grey, Bartle Bogle Hegarty, Leo Burnett, Saatchi's, etc., should have loads of stuff on this (that isn't confidential) and will usually be quite helpful.

Acinonyx Tue 26-Aug-08 23:11:06

The role of Freud's nephew, Edward Bernays is fascinating. He is credited with basically inventing marketing in the US based on Frued's theories. Just googled this link - I'm sure there's a ton of stuff about him:

http://www.articlecity.com/articles/politicsand_government/article348.shtml

gigglewitch Tue 26-Aug-08 23:14:01

oooh it is an absolutely fascinating subject! smile

anything wrong with him hunting on the internet, or does he specifically need textbooks?

sasquatch Wed 27-Aug-08 19:18:05

Thanks for all your replies: Marina I will check out the books you recommend,thank you so much. LB, brilliant idea about approaching agencies, promise not to pass it off as my own.Giggle,Thanks for your appreciation of subject, i agree. yes he is allready looking on internet so Acinonix lead is really useful to have someone point you in the right direction so he isnt wasting his time.

Let you know how it goes,
Thanks again for mn's helpful and knowledgable support.

Sas

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 27-Aug-08 19:21:08

I used to work in advertising, as a planner, and still have a few contacts who might be useful, if that would help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now