Talk

Advanced search

Can any pianists advise me if this piano might be ok?

(32 Posts)
jenthehen Thu 21-Aug-08 09:21:28

I've been offered a Steinbach upright piano, about 5 yrs old and wondered if it would be ok for my ds (aged 6) to play. He's been having lessons for almost two years but has so far been learning on a weighted keyboard. His piano teacher has suggested that he will need to move on to a real piano this year. Unfortunately she is on holiday at the moment and I'm going to see this piano tomorrow so I can't ask her advice. They want £400 for it. Any advice greatly received. Thanks

SauerKraut Thu 21-Aug-08 09:29:43

We were advised to make sure ours was at concert pitch before we bought it, that there were no cracks in the soundboard and no sign of water damage.

jenthehen Thu 21-Aug-08 09:31:38

I think I' need a professional to tell me this then .....I wouldn't have a clue how to recognise "concert pitch".

nailpolish Thu 21-Aug-08 09:32:49

whats a weighted keyboard?

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 09:36:57

weighted keys are ones that play louder the harder you hit them grin

nailpolish Thu 21-Aug-08 09:37:36

what si the point of them?

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 09:38:19

so that you can play music loud or soft, or get louder or softer in the music you play. A pretty important part of playing any instrument smile

nailpolish Thu 21-Aug-08 09:39:45

so all pianos arent weighted?

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 09:43:48

yes - but op's DC has been using an electric keyboard - some of which are weighted, some of which aren't.

IMO a good electric (weighted) piano is just as good for learning/practising on as an upright (hence the reason I'll be more than happy for ANYONE to take my upright off my hands - as it's too big, and DS3 keeps climbing on the keyboard and standing up there shock) and save up for a nice Clavinova grin

nailpolish Thu 21-Aug-08 09:46:58

ohi see! thanks for clearing that up FAQ

id lvoe to take your piano but you are bit far away from me

i keep seing them on freeccyle but i imagine they are a load of junk

CoffeeCrazedMama Thu 21-Aug-08 10:46:53

Get a piano tuner to check it out first - any one you know in RL who has a piano should be able to recommend. The tuner (their fee to tune is usually around £45, so should be no more than that) will be able to tell you if tunable to concert pitch, and if soundboard etc ok.

The tuning thing is really important - we had an old piano that could not be tuned above a semitone below. So glad we got rid soon after ds showed serious interest as he has perfect pitch and it could have been ruined.

jenthehen Thu 21-Aug-08 11:22:26

Thanks for that. We won't rush into anything.

PoorOldEnid Thu 21-Aug-08 11:23:33

where do you live faq

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 11:24:00

Northamptonshire

PoorOldEnid Thu 21-Aug-08 11:27:22

do you think a clavinova is worth it for learning (even for me blush)

PoorOldEnid Thu 21-Aug-08 11:27:53

i like the fact they are small

dd2 (almost 6)is keen

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 11:29:31

ooo I would love a clavinova - I have my heart set on one in our tiny local music shop - when the money from my Granddad's estate came through it took all my effort not blow the lot (nearly 3k) on it blush.

I think for learning on any properly weighted piano (whether electric or standard) is fine (but that's just my opinion grin)

PoorOldEnid Thu 21-Aug-08 11:33:20

wow are they really 3k shock

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 11:41:54

well - the one I like is - but I think it's the top of the range one - you can get them much cheaper than that

tortoiseSHELL Thu 21-Aug-08 17:55:25

I don't think a clavinova is worth it - I'd go for a real piano every time. Ime the pupils of mine who have clavinovas at home can struggle with transferring to a real piano at their lesson! I would also much rather have a real piano to play than an electric one.

Having said that, we are the house of keyboard instruments - we have 2 pianos, a clavinova and an organ...

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 18:31:41

ahh but tortoiseshell - when the piano you paid £450 5yrs ago you're now struggling to sell for even £50 - because it's been scratched to pieces, and your 15 month old has taken to running across the lid of it........and it takes up more space than you can really afford - a Clavinova is a much better.

Having said that I know that the cheaper ones aren't that great - which is why I have my heart set on this one in the music shop.........well I can dream can't I wink.

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 18:35:12

mind you it is the electric piano equivalent of the sort of organ that Catherdrals have when their grand old pipe organs are being restored

<<<<<<<<<<wonder how it ended up in our tiny music shop - can't see it having much of a market round here - probably why it's been in there for so long>>>>>>>> grin

tortoiseSHELL Thu 21-Aug-08 18:36:44

It depends what you want it for imo! Our clavinova is up in the kids' bedroom - we rescued it from church, where it was going to go on a skip shock - and they mess around on it. Serious playing happens downstairs on the 'proper' pianos!

Have you thought about just getting the piano renovated? You could varnish out the scratches, or just get the inside overhauled so it plays ok. I guarantee that if your boys have hurt a real piano, they will smash a clavinova to smithereens!

FAQ Thu 21-Aug-08 18:41:11

oh god I'd never put my Clavinoa in the boys room grin - not the one I've got my heart set on lol.

I really don't have the space for this piano - it was bought when I lived in a different house, and had space for it, it's been squashed into a space next to the wall right next to the dining table, which means to play it I need to actually move the dining table (it's one of those big uprights) which is a complete hassle.

They haven't smashed it - they've just scratched the wood (and it's gone right down into the wood DS2 scratched it that hard 2yrs ago sad) so it's not just a case of re-varnishing the wood itself is damaged - plus one of these days DS3 is going to fall off the closed lid and smash his head on the side of the table........

uberalice Thu 21-Aug-08 19:02:27

Just to clear up some terminology:

Weighted keys are keys which are heavier to press down. The term only applies to keyboards - all pianos are "weighted" by design.

Touch-sensitive keyboards play louder when you press the keys harder. Again, all pianos are touch-sensitive.

Another vote here for a piano over an electronic keyboard. If you're serious about playing, play a piano.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now