Talk

Advanced search

Do you need a 1st class honours degree to do PGCE in Science?

(27 Posts)
lilymolly Sat 16-Aug-08 09:28:28

Recently applied to OU for info on PGCE and was informed that if you want to do science your degree must be a 1st shock

For all other topics a degree of any standard would be acceptable.

As my degree is a 2.2 in Biology I obv need to do the science PGCE but dont have a 1st.

Can anyone advice if this is the norm within other universitys especially ones in the North East; Sunderland, Durham etc

TIA

Katisha Sat 16-Aug-08 09:29:22

Well if it's true it's hardly surprising we are short of science teachers...

Habbibu Sat 16-Aug-08 09:30:09

Would be very surprised, given that they're desperate for more science teachers!

Slouchy Sat 16-Aug-08 09:30:55

I am amazed at this TBH; Science is a shortage subject and they are desperate for Sci teachers. To the extent that you would get a ££ golden hello when you start.

I should look elsewhere if I were you, see what their requirements are.

RubberDuck Sat 16-Aug-08 09:30:57

I doubt it - I got onto a Science PGCE with a 3rd in Astrophysics.

SqueakyPop Sat 16-Aug-08 09:31:09

You can have any degree. 1st to 3rd, and ISTR that pass degrees were OK too.

A 2.2 is fine and in teaching is a 'good honours degree'.

I suspect it may be a case of supply and demand for the course.

RubberDuck Sat 16-Aug-08 09:31:09

(not with the OU, mind)

wessexgirl Sat 16-Aug-08 09:31:25

Surely that can't be right. For a PhD, yes, but for a PGCE that seems insane.

There are few enough applicants for Science PGCEs as it is, without narrowing the field even further.

Habbibu Sat 16-Aug-08 09:31:38

Durham doesn't say anything about grade...

lilymolly Sat 16-Aug-08 09:31:55

Thats what I thought

I mean how many people have 1sts in science and then go on to become a teacher?

Habbibu Sat 16-Aug-08 09:32:49

Newcastle say at least 2.2 Just google pgce plus university name plus science.

SqueakyPop Sat 16-Aug-08 09:35:38

You'd be amazed, lily - it is quite a few. There are plenty of science teachers who get a 1st or 2-1, then do a PhD, and then straight into teaching.

Not everyone wants to do research/industry/management.

But it makes no sense to restrict applicants to 1sts. You only have to 'know' as much as you are teaching, which presumably you got from your own high school education and certainly by completely 1st year of university.

lilymolly Sat 16-Aug-08 09:44:03

Oh I am getting all excited now. smile

Currently working as medical rep in orthopaedics so very knowledgable in anatomy and did joint degree in physiology/Biology so quite capable

I am currently pg with dd No 2 due in March 09 and taking full year off work so I would want to apply for 2010.
When do I apply?

Can I have your positive and negative experiences of PCGEs with small children please?

Thanks

SqueakyPop Sat 16-Aug-08 09:50:54

I started my PGCE with a 3 year old and a 9 month old. I had been working and already had a childminder, so just kept going with that. The big thing was the lack of salary along with paying out for childcare, but we tightened our belts and also got a loan to our inlaws cancelled. When I did mine, the bursary was only £500, but I gather it is quite a bit more now.

As for the work, it was easier than what I was doing previously. I had slightly longer hours during the university phase, but was still home before the end of my previous work day. The school phases all took place within school hours, and I could get all my work done, except for a bit of reading, during the 'free' lessons.

mumeeee Sat 16-Aug-08 23:17:00

A 2:2 is fine.

Clary Sat 16-Aug-08 23:37:18

I would be astonished.

I was told that to do PGCE in primary (much more popular than secondary science as I understand) I needed a 2:1, but in fact I was offered a place with my 2:2 (I'm not doing the course now actually but that's another story).

You get £6k to train (tho of course course fees are £3k plus help with childcare if household income is low enough (ours wasn't actually), plus yes, with science a goldern hello when you start working.

mrz Sun 17-Aug-08 11:17:40

Sunderland

Loshad Sun 17-Aug-08 20:50:18

Definately not true, i have a 2:1 (and a PhD) and am starting biology/science pgce at Leeds in a couple of weeks.

Blandmum Sun 17-Aug-08 21:34:04

well, that wasn't the case when I did my PGCE with the OU in science!

I have an undivided Oxford second (which would have been a 2.1 if they had divided) and they took me to do a PGCE 7 years ago

bluejellybean Sun 17-Aug-08 21:40:03

Do you mean you need a 2:1 not a First? I wonder if thats what they meant. Teachers are soon to need an MA to teach now. Glad I got in 6 years ago!!

I needed a 2:1 when I started my Primary PGCE. Do they still have golden hello's for science?

Blandmum Sun 17-Aug-08 21:42:25

I think that isntead of a PGSE they will do a Masters degree in education, I don't think that you will need a masters before you start the course

Loshad Sun 17-Aug-08 21:45:01

byb, yes - decent bursaries, and golden hellos too still.

bluejellybean Sun 17-Aug-08 21:47:05

Yes, its just going back to 4 years training and not 3 in total.

I still think for primary a PGCE is very hard, there is a lot to get your head around as we teach such a wide curriculum and learning to read, write and use number etc is VERY complex!

I mentor Primary PGEC in my own school and i'm not a task master but don't be shocked......the hours are long. My students were in a 7:30, left around 4:30 and worked in the evening on assessment, prep etc.

ReallyTired Sun 17-Aug-08 22:07:00

I think that you have got confused. They mean that your first degree needs to be a science subject. (ie. not meeeedia studies, or golflogy) Certainly it doesn't mean degree classification.

As for doing a PGCE with small children my experience was extremely negative. I found the hours and the learning curve required impossible. I gave it up because my three year old was suffering. He needed his Mummy rather than having her doing 60 hours a week of work.

Contrary to popular belief schools are not family friendly employers. In particular traditional PGCE courses arent. For example if you miss more than about 5 school days due to your illness/ child illness you will not get enough days to pass the course. I had a really nasty bout of flu and my son was ill. I could have gone back to complete my PGCE the following year, but I lost the enthusasm

I suggest that you get a support job in a school. You would learn a bit about managing and interacting with kids through the job. You would also learn whether you actually like working in a school. You would then be in a very strong position to do the Graduate Teacher programme.

KristinaM Sun 17-Aug-08 22:15:38

here is says that you should

have a degree from a UK university, or an equivalent qualification. Your degree should be clearly and substantially relevant to one of the six secondary PGCE subjects available. This means that at least half, and preferably two-thirds, of your degree (at least 180 credit points) should comprise studies relevant to the subject you intend to teach;

a GCSE grade A–C, grade A–C, or the equivalent, in English language and mathematics;

nothing about the class of degree at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now