Talk

Advanced search

Another school dilemma! Move to Geneva now possible IN TWO WEEKS! What do I do now?

(34 Posts)
MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 12:17:07

Argh!

Following on from my last dilemma, where we decided to put DD to school until we heard exactly when we were going to be moving, DH now has the signature needed to approve the move to Geneva.

DD starts school tomorrow, we have just been to the school to see which class she is in and take her art materials in.

Now DH's company have just phoned to ask if I want to go ahead of DH, in time for the new Swiss school year on 25th August. IN TWO WEEKS!

God, now I am confused.

This would mean the DCs and I moving into temporary accomodation in 2 weeks time for a couple of weeks. DH would come afterwards with the furniture and rest of the stuff.

What do I do? Stay here and move mid Sept with the furniture. Or let DD start school with the rest of the Swiss DCs?

stealthsquiggle Mon 11-Aug-08 12:21:02

Would this be DD starting school for the first time (sorry didn't see your last dilemma)?

If so I think I would go - and leave DH to pack furniture, etc [evil cackle]

MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 12:25:51

Yes, starting school for the first time.

DH would not actually have to pack anything as the removal company does all of that. But I could do some painting in the new house.

Am I mad to even consider it?

MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 13:52:29

Mum said that I am in a quandry, but that I am going to be in a guddle some time anyway

stealthsquiggle Mon 11-Aug-08 14:29:29

Is she going to be full time at school - and how far is Geneva from where you are now?

(contemplating time-splitting options)

I still think I would go - packing is a nightmare even when someone else is doing it, and this way you can focus on DC and school and not too much else.

MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 14:32:48

She will go from 8 - 12 and 2pm - 4pm (except on Wednesdays for some bizzare reason)

We are near Düsseldorf so approx. 12 hour drive.

A bit far to travel back and forth

Just waiting for DH to call back, he is in a meeting all day.

AMumInScotland Mon 11-Aug-08 14:35:53

I think starting on the first day of term would be the best thing for your dd, if it can be done without total and utter chaos for the rest of you. I assume they can find you decent temp accomodation near enough to the school?

stealthsquiggle Mon 11-Aug-08 14:36:58

Yes, a bit of a commute!

Not on Wednesdays normal for French / French-Swiss schools, I think.

Saturday mornings?

MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 14:39:25

No, not Saturdays as far as I know.

The company would find us decent accomodation.

AMumInScotland Mon 11-Aug-08 14:43:17

What is your daughter more likely to be bothered by - not having her familiar things around her (and daddy of course), or starting school 2 weeks after the others and maybe having to break into existing friendship groups?

Could you do some of the prep for the move in the next 2 weeks, if you feel bad leaving DH to do it?

MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 14:48:26

Hmm, good question, AMIS. She is starting school tomorrow here in Germany but none of her friends are in her class so I don't know how happy she is going to be there.

She would be ok without DH as he is often away for a couple of days on business. He has a week in Geneva mid Sept for job training anyway.

<<dithers>>

AMumInScotland Mon 11-Aug-08 15:07:44

I know what my own answer would be - I know DS would have been very disrupted going to one school for 2 weeks and then dealing with a house move and new school. For him it would have been easier to have the "adventure" of the temp accommodation, and settle into the school with the rest of the class. But it really comes down to personalities, so long as you and DH and the other DC are ok about the practical aspects.

MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 15:25:25

She is quite timid and shy at the moment. She hid behind me when we were at the school this morning, which is not like her really. She was always reasonably confident. The past few months she has gotten very shy.

SSSandy2 Mon 11-Aug-08 15:31:12

Good grief how stressful this whole thing is for you ML. You must be losing weight at an incredible rate the way things are going!

I think I would send her to school in Geneva for the beginning of their school year so she starts with everyone else. I think this would be the less stressful of two stressful options for her (and you)

If her friends are not even going to be in her class here in GErmany, forget it. If it was going to be dragging on indefinitely, I would have let her start here, but if it will just be two weeks with kids and teachers she doesn't know and will never see again, what is the point?

stealthsquiggle Mon 11-Aug-08 15:33:29

If she isn't keen on German school and won't be with any of her friends - I would definitely opt for the get to Geneva ASAP and start school there in 2 weeks option - if she has to nerve herself for school there is no point her having to do it twice within a matter of weeks.

SSSandy2 Mon 11-Aug-08 15:34:35

I'd give her the cone with sweeties and presents in Geneva when she comes home to sweeten her first day at school there.

hippipotami Mon 11-Aug-08 15:37:58

I would move ahead and start in the Swiss school. Your dd will get an extra nearly 2 weeks holiday, and can start at the school she will be staying in.

Like you say, you can also make a start painting the new house before the furniture arrives.

Bit stressfull for a few weeks, but it gets the whole 'starting at a new school' over and done with, and it is always easier as a new child to start at the start of the school year (especially as your dd is starting school for hte first time and so are her classmates)

hippipotami Mon 11-Aug-08 15:39:10

Have just read the bit about none of her friends in her class. No brainer, do not start school in Germany, start in August in Geneva, and do the cone there! smile

AMumInScotland Mon 11-Aug-08 15:42:30

If she's feeling shy and nervous anyway, then I'd def go for the temp accomodation and get her in on the first day of term.

MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 15:51:33

Good feedback, now I just have to convince DH.

Do you think that he will be swayed by the fact that my imaginary friends on the puter told me so?

Thanks all!

SSSandy2 Mon 11-Aug-08 15:53:00

oh no! He hates MN, doesn't he?! Tell him the head recommended it.

stealthsquiggle Mon 11-Aug-08 15:58:30

Do you have anything useful like a relocation consultant you could blame give credit to for the 'collective wisdom' hmm?

LIZS Mon 11-Aug-08 16:12:43

When would dh go ? If October then she could start after the Autumn break, otherwise I'd be tempted to go asap. Most Swiss schools have Wednesday afternoons off but lots of extra curricular stuff goes on then. Is it a public school, if so the timings of her actual attendance may not be as fixed as that suggests !

MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 16:15:28

We do have a relocation consultant, DH wanted to speak to him today.

He doesn't hate MN, he is just suspicious of it. And a bit jealous.

Has gotten better in the past few weeks though since I have spent more time doing the housework and less on MN.

MmeLindt Mon 11-Aug-08 16:18:34

DH starts work in October so would be moving down late September.

It will be a normal Swiss school. Don't know what their timetable is like, tbh. Once we decide on the house (the relocation company has another house) then we can get in touch with the school.

She could wait and start after the autumn break, but that would nto be until 27th October which means a month at home in Geneva.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: