Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

good state primary followed by good secondary schools in London??

(17 Posts)
vannah Fri 08-Aug-08 22:58:02

Sorry if this has been done to death, my search didn't come up with much.

We currently live in crouch end and are desperate to move before our children start school (DS will start next sept).
Primary schools here are fine, follow on secondary are not good.

I know of Fairway primary (NW7) following on to Mill Hill county high. And I think frith manor primary is also supposed to be good.

any other good combinations? There surely must be more than one?
Not really too sure we want to move out of london...

many thanks

christywhisty Fri 08-Aug-08 23:14:32

schools change in the time frame your talking about my ds's secondary school went from a failing sink school, to one of the most improved schools in the country. Also know of schools that were highly sort after go downhill.

oops Fri 08-Aug-08 23:36:51

Message withdrawn

vannah Sat 09-Aug-08 20:56:12

thankyou both.
Oops, Im rushing because I would prefer the transition from primary to secondary to be a bit smoother on the children in that they would already be familiar with some of the children going to the same school -
rather than schooling them in crouch end, then getting up and leaving to another new area and expecting them to start all over again with making new friends.
I found it daunting starting secondary school but was mighty glad that a few friends were going to the same school...

Maybe Im being overprotective, just using my own experience...

thankyou

christywhisty Sun 10-Aug-08 13:17:08

Year 7 is a minefield for friends, in someways I wish my ds knew no one when he started.

FluffyMummy123 Sun 10-Aug-08 13:17:46

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Sun 10-Aug-08 13:18:12

Message withdrawn

wreckles Mon 11-Aug-08 01:44:09

There are no feeder schools in Barnet. Fairway does not automatically follow on to Mill Hill County High.

isgrassgreener Mon 11-Aug-08 08:55:21

Have you considered Muswell Hill? or is that too obvious/not your thing.

Lots of people move there for Fortismere and all of the primary schools are OK.

NL3 Mon 11-Aug-08 09:21:38

Another vote for Muswell Hill, even if it is a bit obvious, get as close as you can afford to Fortismere, the catchment is small. DS1 attends at the moment, on balance a good experience, and, as the previous poster said all of the primaries are pretty good.
MHCH has a really tight catchment (most of the catchment, apart from one large estate of houses (premium pricing for the catchment), is along the A1, M1 and A41, the traffic noise is atrocious.

vannah Mon 11-Aug-08 20:57:23

NL3 you are absolutely right. Moving to Mill Hill for us was so off-putting because the 'catchment' areas for some of the schools seemed to be right next to the A1 and M1.

Now, please - if you happen to read this thread again tell me a tiny bit more about Fortismere: I had not considered it as had heard from a few friends that it was "awful" (so sorry as this is not your experience) and that a lot of the kids were into drugs - could be a baseless rumour, please correct me if wrong.
And, at the moment we are in a flat (urgently need to get into a house for extra space), not sure if we could afford a house near to fortismere
christywisty thankyou for that - its interesting to know that the opposite is true.

isgrassgreener Mon 11-Aug-08 21:38:40

Vannah, I want to be helpful, but wonder by your response if any of your friends have secondary school age children, or if they are mainly pre schoolers like yourself.
From my experience it all seems so big and scary before you start the whole school thing and it is easy to get a bit worried about everything, but actually once you get involved in a school and an area many things make you want to stay there or leave.
In an ideal world you would choose to get it right first time and manage to stay in the same place, but in reality so many things can happen to change your situation.
It is a long time until you will need to go to secondary school and so much can change in that time.
Fortismere has had a new head for about 2 years now and he is making many changes, so it is impossible to predict what will happen by the time you need to go.
There is also a new secondary school opening in Haringey in 2010, between Ali Pali and Wood Green.
I know quite a few parents with teenagers at Highgate Wood and they are very happy.
Also you have no way of knowing how bright your child will be, many people in the Crouch End/Muswell Hill area try for the grammer schools as well, so that could be an option you could consider.
As for the drugs thing that is a bit of a problem everywhere as far as I can tell.
Catchment for Fortismere is usually within about 0.5 of a mile, so it is quite expensive.
I hope this is helpful as I know it is a very difficult thing to try and plan for.

ComeOVeneer Mon 11-Aug-08 21:43:12

DD went to frith manor. It is indeed a good school, lovley and modern and well equipt since it was rebuilt after the fire.

vannah Tue 12-Aug-08 21:22:15

isgrassgreener - thankyou for all your advice. Was helpful indeed. I think Im realising that its a bit unrealistic to plan ahead for both schools. A lot of what you said made sense.
No friends with children in secondary school...
comeoveneer I am going to see frith manor in sept..

MarsLady Tue 12-Aug-08 21:25:48

Actually Highgate Wood isn't as bad as you think and I'm guessing you'll be in catchement.

They've shrunk the catchment, they've introduced uniform and the new head is impressing all around.

MarsLady Tue 12-Aug-08 21:29:42

Also.. unless you live in the grounds (practically) then it's next to impossible to get Fortismere.

You do have time to make your decision, a lot more than you think. That will give you time to look at HW and see what you think of it. Often children are happy if they are near friends (which has its own pros and cons).

vannah Tue 12-Aug-08 22:30:23

thanks marslady..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now