Talk

Advanced search

Are your primary age dcs doing any academic type work over the hols?

(68 Posts)
RubyRioja Fri 08-Aug-08 10:08:21

?
This is me being neutral to seek out answers grin

LIZS Fri 08-Aug-08 10:11:16

They have workbooks and occasionally I might encourage ds to open his, dd happily does so anyway !

DontNeedAnything Fri 08-Aug-08 10:14:26

I have got them to right me a couple of fun stories/diary entries for a day out just to keep them on top of remembering their punctuation.

I am also keeping them on their toes with their number bonds and 2, 5 and 10 times tables. Which realistically means I ask them a couple fo random sums as I do their hair.

So I amnot doing anything new with; nothing formal and nothing that they aren't enjoying.

motherinferior Fri 08-Aug-08 10:14:35

No.

They brought home optional 'homework packs' but DD1 started getting very bothered and upset about it all so I told her not to bother.

I think children are under far too much academic pressure far too young at the moment.

DontNeedAnything Fri 08-Aug-08 10:14:56

Doh of course they are writing stories not righting them blush

TrinityRhino Fri 08-Aug-08 10:16:54

dd1 has workbooks for english and maths and wants to do them all the time

she asked to buy them for when she can't go to school lol

cornsilk Fri 08-Aug-08 10:18:09

no

robinpud Fri 08-Aug-08 10:19:20

NO no and most definitely no

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 08-Aug-08 10:20:19

Mine have been reading but that is their own choice.

I plan on doing some writing practice with DS1 but am not stressing about it if it doesn't get done.

I am normally oppposed to homework in any form. I think it's unfair. But this summer my DD (8) has been so concerned that she is behind everyone else with times tables that I have bought her some workbooks and games. She is very excited about doing them and I hope her confidence will be boosted come September and the new school year..

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 08-Aug-08 10:21:01

I have no idea how or why but DS1 keeps telling me sums and their answers. grin

Mercy Fri 08-Aug-08 10:24:30

No.

But dd is always reading and writing, well tbh it's just part of her playing.

Hulababy Fri 08-Aug-08 10:25:27

DD is 6 (just finished Y1) and she has done a bit - but purely through choice.

She has done an awful lot of reading. She has read pretty much every day and has also been doing the Team read challenge at the library.

She has also done some writing - again all for fun though, like making menus up, writing mini stories, wriing diary entries every so often.

And she has some of those workbook things as she likes them. She will do them at home sometime But nothing is forced. She does them if and when she finds them and chooses too.

But most of the time we have been out and about, and playing and just having fun. She has learnt to ride her bike without stabilisers, we have been swimming, we have done nature walks, etc. So lots of learning - just not formal.

LIZS Fri 08-Aug-08 10:31:44

They also write stories purely for pleasure on an ongoing basis and read freely. ds is supposed to be nailing his times tables and practising his music for a grade one exam next term.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 08-Aug-08 10:32:05

Message withdrawn

pinkblossom Fri 08-Aug-08 10:34:09

Absolutely no way.

PrimulaVeris Fri 08-Aug-08 10:35:11

Absolutely NO

They need to chill. DS (age 9) is in any case learning a lot as he's been birdwatching and helping in the garden with his beloved grandads, reading what he wants to read (just discovered Antony Horowitz) in addition to the joys of spending hours on computer/Tv/games console etc.

You're only that age once.

Charmander Fri 08-Aug-08 10:37:40

DS1 (10) has to write an autobiography for the first day back. We did it together on the computer (does that me me a ghost writer?).

Other than that all reading like mad because they like to.

Life is too short for school work

MrsWeasley Fri 08-Aug-08 10:41:10

mine have a play on Educationcity occassionally. Thats about it.

christywhisty Fri 08-Aug-08 12:55:50

DD 10 did a g&t maths and itc summer school last week but other than that no.

oi Fri 08-Aug-08 12:56:50

I have enough trouble getting mine to do any work in school time

Fennel Fri 08-Aug-08 13:23:12

No. None at all.

They read. And they play.

Smithagain Fri 08-Aug-08 14:17:36

DD1 has nothing that was actually sent home from school, other than a vague encouragement to make sure they do some reading over the holidays.

She has chosen to do a few things that you might term "academic" - e.g. the summer holiday reading challenge at the library and a "mad science" day at the leisure centre. And she has taken up writing "books" off her own bat.

We have been watching butterflies in the garden (they are laying eggs and hatching, which is quite cool) and she may or may not write about what she's seen, depending whether she suddenly gets the urge.

Twiglett Fri 08-Aug-08 14:19:11

absolutely not

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 08-Aug-08 14:23:02

my dd is starting school so i am teaching her how to write her own name and how to regonise her letters and numbers.

i spent ages yesterday trying to teach her numbers (she can count she just cant recognise which numbers are which) and it just wasnt sinking in. this morning she was playing with her dora laptop and knew all of her numbers after quizzing her she replied "i do know my numbers mummy and my letters its just funny when you try to teach me" i asked her to point out random letters and numbers on her keyboard and sure enough the little madam was right! she does know her letters and numbers!

we are moving onto writing the letters and numbers now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now