Talk

Advanced search

what is community nursery

(10 Posts)
elmoandella Tue 05-Aug-08 14:33:17

this is long. please read. i really need help

my friends dc go to a nursery that runs from 2yo. it's seperate thing from the main nursery in the school.

it's run by a qualified nursery nurse. non profit making.

there's a couple of qualified women who run it. to make up the numbers for the adult to kids ratio. the parents of children must take a turn supervising kids. 1 week every month my friend stays with her ds for the 2 hours he's there every school day.

it costs her about £2 a day. just enough to cover their snack.

there is a brand new school been built solely for my scheme. has a large community area which would be ideal for this purpose. as id empty for most of the day. they have already organised a communittee. i would like to approach the committee with the idea of doing something similar to what happens at my friends school.

is this type of thing called a community nursery. and does anyone have any idea how to set this up?

elmoandella Tue 05-Aug-08 14:57:30

oh and i'm in scotland.

elmoandella Tue 05-Aug-08 17:20:09

bump=== maybe its later someone else will know?

elmoandella Tue 05-Aug-08 21:11:53

please help?

mrz Wed 06-Aug-08 12:39:44

Community nurseries. You need to live in the catchment area to qualify for a place, and many also have ‘social need’ criteria (You must have some recognised disadvantage, such as lone parenthood or low income). Community nurseries are subsidised, so the fees are generally much lower than private nurseries. Some local authorities buy or subsidise places at community nurseries and these places are often reserved for families in particular need. On the other hand, community nurseries also sell a proportion of places to working parents who can afford the full fees.

elmoandella Wed 06-Aug-08 13:13:52

thanks, so this thing my friends kids go to isn't a community nursery. coz anyone can apply for one of the places, regardless of income.

so do you think it's just a private thing someone has started doing at the school.

for us to do this would there be the same regulations as a nursery??

or would it be along similar lines to a toddler and parent playgroup with some added paperwork?

OrmIrian Wed 06-Aug-08 13:15:57

Anyone can apply to our community nursery regardless of income/situation but there is only a subsidy if you live in the ward.

elmoandella Wed 06-Aug-08 13:19:23

ward? i'm in scotland. is that like catchment area?

so maybe it is a community nursery.

how do i get one of these set up at our new school?

OrmIrian Wed 06-Aug-08 13:20:30

A ward is a subdivision of a town - to do with voting I think. Each ward has it's own councillor.

elmoandella Wed 06-Aug-08 13:23:30

ok. thanks. will see if i can find info on setting community nursery up

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: