Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else consider the uniform when looking for a school ?

(87 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:07:50

It sounds really silly but I have been put off certain schools because of there uniform. Our local one is grey and maroon.blush I don't like it at all. I love the navy and white. I think that looks really smart and crisp. Is it just me that does this? Don't misunderstand, if it was a fantastic school with an awful uniform then I wouldn't have a problem but when it's two schools that are both about the same, then I'd be going for the nice uniform.

reethi96 Mon 04-Aug-08 18:11:03

For primary school I couldn't give two hoots, for secondary I prefer a smart uniform as I think it installs a sense of pride in the pupils. I wouldn't reject or choose a school on the basis of the uniform though.

catweazle Mon 04-Aug-08 18:13:57

Sort of.

We have 2 local schools (2 mins walk in opposite directions). One has grey trousers/skirt, grey sweatshirt and white polo. The other has a purple sweatshirt and blue polo.

Purple school is number one on my list so far grin

Having said that, first year of DD's school it was blue and white striped blouse with maroon jumper. Then it changed to white blouse and navy jumper.

(Head Teacher more important than uniform IMO)

LIZS Mon 04-Aug-08 18:15:11

no , only in how it might reflect the ethos of the school and practicality.

mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:20:29

I nmust get it from my mum. There was a choice of 2 secondery schools for me, one was a very casual uniform in grey and the other was navy and red with a proper wool jumper and tye.
My mum didn't even visit the first school.grin
I wouldn't go that far though.

mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:26:13

I also think that getting your first school uniform at 5 should be really exciting. It should make them feel smart and grown up. It would take away that excitment if the ubiform was awful, as she would be dressed smarter at home.

lilolilmanchester Mon 04-Aug-08 18:26:58

Not at all. School first, uniform a necessary evil IMO.

CorrieDale Mon 04-Aug-08 18:28:15

Must admit to having rejected our nearest school partly on the basis of a scarlet jumper, which would look absolutely terrible on both of my DCs. There were other reasons, but that was probably about number 3 on the list.

Thomcat Mon 04-Aug-08 18:29:42

Did I consider the colour of my DD's uniform when looking at schools for her??!! LOL! Err no. I looked at Ofsted reports, met the head, looked round the school, spoke to parents whose children already attended. Didn't think about the uniform until it came to buying it. Didn't enter my head to think about it.

Dottoressa Mon 04-Aug-08 18:29:56

Oh yes. My ideal is old-fashioned, and very, very smart, preferably with boaters. We didn't find the boaters, but DS does have long socks with school stripes on them, so that is some consolation!

I love school uniforms (though I didn't when I had to wear one myself - a brown kilt, no less...)

hatwoman Mon 04-Aug-08 18:31:46

hmm dottoressa. I had to wear a brown kilt - did we go to the same school? (there'a nother one around on mn too)

mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:31:48

CorrieDale- I don't blame you, that would probubly be no one on mine. grin
Are they little red heads like my daughter ?

lilolilmanchester Mon 04-Aug-08 18:32:42

we live in a selective area for secondary. If DD passes the entrance exams, she'll go to one of 2 fantastic schools. If not, she'll go to a failing school. Uniform means naff all compared to that.

mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:35:53

Is a boater the same as a blazer? I don't have a clue.blush
I love blazers, they are really smart. I think they have to make uniforms as cheep as possible nowadays. They have definatly gon down hill in general. sad

LIZS Mon 04-Aug-08 18:37:42

Boater is a straw hat with band ! dc's have a blazer and it is smart but at £65 a throw something which could be done without for a 5 yr old imho.

mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:39:23

lilolilmanchester- I would feel exactly the same. What a horrible possition to be in.
I wish her lots of luck.

mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:41:00

That is a lot of money.shock Is it a private school? , I think it must be.

mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:43:11

I'm not keen on boaters, I think they look ponsey. It's like wearing a top hat to school. Blazers are just nice though.

lilolilmanchester Mon 04-Aug-08 18:43:38

Thanks Mummyloveslucy. Have started losing sleep over it already. DS is in grammar and absolutely the right school for him cos he's exceptionally bright (if lazy). DD is the opposite, and I wouldn't be so worried if we had a good high school on the doorstep, but we're out of catchment for the decent highschools.
Sorry for the hijack, but hope it helps put uniform worries into perpective.

MABS Mon 04-Aug-08 18:43:52

my dd had a boater til she was 7 and left pre prep, together with a navy striped blazer. she looked sooo cute, i loved it, but thenm she grew up

MABS Mon 04-Aug-08 18:46:40

but meant to say, no, didn't consider it high up my list when choosing the school!

mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:48:17

Oh yes I know. I have some concernes over my daughter starting school as she has some special needs. I wanted to start a more light hearted thread really.
Is she having any 11+ coaching? it might help. I really feel for you and everyone else in this possition. It can be very hard to get the best for our children.

mummyloveslucy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:49:34

Don't lie MABS. grin grin

lilolilmanchester Mon 04-Aug-08 18:52:29

(sorry will drop out, just a bad time for 11+ jitters ATM!! Thanks for letting me rant on your thread).

Let's lighten it up. Anyone else like to answer MLL's OP???

savoycabbage Mon 04-Aug-08 18:52:29

I once worked in a prep school that was the shittest school EVER. Really just awful and I am sure that the majority of the parents chose it because of it's incredibly cute uniform with caps, knee socks and boaters.

It certainly wasn't for the resources or teaching standards.

Before I worked there I would see the children walking in a crocodile around the town and people would stop to look at them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now