Talk

Advanced search

Having a school dilemma - moving schools but they can't both go to same school, what should I do?

(46 Posts)
Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 21:47:00

dd is 8 and ds is 4 so he'll be starting in Sept. For anyone who doesn't know, we are moving to Wiltshire from Cumbria next month. Now there is a brilliant school about a mile and a half away, excellent Ofsted, about double the size of dd's old school (so not very big still). I contacted them and they definitely have a place for dd, but not for ds. sad

So the question is, do I split them up, put dd into this good school and hope that a place becomes available for ds one day? Or do I keep them together and go for a nearer school but which has nearly 400 pupils and not so nearly as good a report?

Stuck on what to do.

WideWebWitch Tue 29-Jul-08 21:48:41

Yes, put dd in, wait for someone to move. Keep begging for a place for ds. It won't hurt at all if he does 1 yr in one place and then moves. My ds went to one school from 5-6, another from 6-8 and has now been at the best ever since. Glad you chose Wilts, can you say where?

WideWebWitch Tue 29-Jul-08 21:50:04

Also it's much easier ime to get a year 1 place than reception so you may find it easier for him next year.

Unless the other school is lovely too, in which case send both of them there, how big is thge diff between the schools? Have you seen them? Or been on schoolsnet? Or asked anyone?

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 21:53:42

www, near where we were looking. grin

Trouble is that ds has already had 3 nurseries and was really looking forward to being in the same school as dd. It'll break his heart to start a different school on his own, not to mention really inconvienient getting them to different schools.

However this school is really really good and would be better for them both, having only 200 pupils (dd's old school has 95) rather than nearer 400. They are totally full, all the children going for 'tasters' turned up and even Year 1 is full.

But if I put them both into the same school, am I sacrificing dd's education for the sake of her brother? Or would she do just as well? Oh I don't know what to do!

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 21:55:58

The school I want them to go to is a little further, but has under 200 pupils and a glowing Ofsted report, getting 1s and 2s. Implements the 3 Rs and when I phoned the sounded really lovely and very apologetic.

The school they can both go to, we have an appointment to look round on Sept 3rd, it's nearer, but doesn't do as well with the Ofsted report, getting mainly 2s and 3s. Although the head is said to be making improvements. The report said that average pupils don't make the progress they ought to make. dd is an average pupil.

ReallyTired Tue 29-Jul-08 21:56:30

I would go for nearer school unless its truely dire. Its nice for children to make local friends. Its good for children to walk to school as well.

Otherwise I would put your dd in your prefered school and see if a place comes up for your ds. Being a sibbling he would be top of the list. Places often come up at the start of september if someone opts for a different school

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:02:50

I don't think there will be a place there in Sept, all the taster sessions were taken. It's the best school in the area so I don't think anyone will forsake their place.

The other school worries me because of it's sheer size and because they seem to focus more on the kids with sn and the average pupils are getting left behind. dd has struggled a little but with her current school being so small, they've been able to focus on her weaknesses. I'm afraid she might slip the net in this one.

The other school is walkable, just.

This is a very difficult decision.

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:06:52

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

WideWebWitch Tue 29-Jul-08 22:08:47

Ah, if you're going to C, my mum lives there!
I think could you wait until you look around? Does he HAVE to go yet? Can you wait?

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:09:43

Just tell me what my priorities should be?

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:10:18

Oh hello again? It's near C, more like M.

I can't really wait as I need to work.

WideWebWitch Tue 29-Jul-08 22:10:25

IMO:

A good head
fun
happy looking children

hoxtonchick Tue 29-Jul-08 22:12:08

i'd go for the closer one where they can be together i think. but have you looked round either yet? ofsted isn't everything by a long stretch imo.

Califrau Tue 29-Jul-08 22:13:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:13:51

But which will provide that?

I think the bigger school might be scary for both of them, but at least they'll be together. Or am I kidding myself about that, after all he'll be in Reception and she'll be in Year 4 so they might not be 'together' anyway.

A smaller school would make it easier for dd to settle in.

The head of the first school is trying to get the school back on top.

The secretary of the second school was lovely on the phone and said her kids go there and love it. Really positive comments from the parents on the Ofsted report.

Flum Tue 29-Jul-08 22:15:08

Oooooh you might be near me... is it Melk, Malm or Marl. If the latter then you are.

I would put DD in and put DS elsewhere, someone will move away and you will get the place then.

We went for a better further away school initially but then I flinched at the drive everyday with 3rd babe coming so have gone for the nearer school in town in the end.

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:15:58

Cali, that means he will change schools in Year One, and he's already had 3 nurseries. I don't want to disrupt him further. I really don't want him to move schools again.

Oh dear!

Califrau Tue 29-Jul-08 22:17:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:17:39

We can't look round yet, we're 300 miles away. The forms need to go in asap. I've only got the internet to go on.

Flum Tue 29-Jul-08 22:18:07

Does he have to start school in Sept could he wait til Jan?

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:19:25

I asked them that, they don't do staggered startings. Besides, they're full whatever, reception and years 1 and 2 are all full. They have spaces in years 3 and 4.

hoxtonchick Tue 29-Jul-08 22:21:31

but people don't always take up their reception places -- they move, go private, change their minds. i reckon you'd be in with a chance of a reception place. just ring them every day!

Flum Tue 29-Jul-08 22:22:43

Well I think you should start them at different schools, he will get a place eventually, also you will get to know both schools, you might even like the nearby one more in the end. We did, even though not such good Ofsted rep. more room, lunch provided etc. near me then?

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:23:54

I will.

Ok, what I might do is this. I might put on the forms that I want them both to go to this school, and put second choice as the other school. Then I'll ring the school every bleeding day. We visit the other school on the 3rd so we can have a good look round. If they still can't fit ds in at the start of the Sept term, erm, well what do I do then?

Rhubarb Tue 29-Jul-08 22:24:48

No flum, sorry.

Perhaps we should just do that then? Oh stop making me change my mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now