Talk

Advanced search

Piano lessons

(8 Posts)
partaria Sat 26-Jul-08 11:01:47

quick straw poll to find out what s considered to be the best age to start piano lessons. ds3 is 4.5 and is showing signs of being keen (2 older siblings play, but started at 6 and at 10 - the 10yo had played another instrument previously). For example he will sit up and spontaneously sing along to his own attempts to play simple songs he's learned at nursery !

He's no Mozart, but he wants to have lessons. he starts reception in september. i was thinking of letting him settle into being at full time school then start him after half term when he will be 4.10 months old. Or should i wait another year ?

LIZS Sat 26-Jul-08 19:04:40

dd is starting next term at just 7 . Some of her friends have played for about 2 years. I think formal lessosn and starting school may be too much initially.

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Sat 26-Jul-08 19:06:33

Ds1 started at 6 and ds2 started at 7.

Gobbledigook Sat 26-Jul-08 19:17:32

My ds3 is only 3.11 and starting reception in Sept - like your ds he loves the keyboard - he has a kids one but we also have a piano and he is the only one of my 3 children that will go and lift the lid and play a tune and sing along. He loves it! He plays the low notes and says 'mummy this is like a giant' and the high ones saying 'this is the fairies!'!!

However, I think he's a bit young yet. I think I'll wait at least another year, if not longer.

foofi Sat 26-Jul-08 19:23:45

7 does seem to be a good age. For instruments that come in smaller sizes, eg violin, you can start earlier, but I'd say for piano the earlier you start the longer it will take to reach the same standards, so don't bother.

partaria Sat 26-Jul-08 20:35:20

Thanks everyone; think I'll wait at least 6m to a year, that way he'll be more mature (if he's still interested that is !).

Littlefish Sat 26-Jul-08 20:50:02

I asked my old piano teacher this only last week! He said, no younger than 6.

snorkle Sat 26-Jul-08 21:18:27

I think 7 is a good age. Many (but not all) of my dc's peers who started younger gave up after 2-3 years. It's very fustrating for the little ones as their progress is quite slow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now