Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me the difference between a teaching Assitant and a Learning support Assistant?

(11 Posts)
bananaknickers Thu 24-Jul-08 16:02:25

Is one more qualified or just taken different exams?

wheresthehamster Thu 24-Jul-08 16:07:53

No difference. Some schools/LAs call them different things. E.g. TAs help in the classroom generally and with groups of children and LSAs do 1-to-1 with a specific child.

Some areas all support staff who work in classrooms are called LSAs.

All have/can have the same qualifications. And it doesn't matter what you are called you still get paid peanuts grin

bananaknickers Thu 24-Jul-08 16:12:08

Cheers wheresthehamster smile.

Are you one then?

wotulookinat Thu 24-Jul-08 16:21:13

They are more or less the same thing, but I have worked in some schools (I'm a teacher) where they have used LSAs to work with children out of the classroom, in small groups or on their own, and the LSAs have had to prepare work for the kiddies. The schools have deliberately names them LSA as teaching assistants should be in the classroom, assisting a teacher.

wheresthehamster Thu 24-Jul-08 16:33:48

Yes. Did my pay comment give it away!!??

SummatAnNowt Thu 24-Jul-08 16:36:59

Back in my first job I was a teaching assistant, then when I worked again in the UK it had been turned into an LSA. They are both the same in my neck of the woods, whereas those that are there to help the teacher rather than pupils are called classroom assistants.

Whizzz Thu 24-Jul-08 16:43:54

wheresthehamster - TAs also do 1-1

I think they are one and the same job

wotulookinat Thu 24-Jul-08 16:44:58

they should be the same job.

cat64 Thu 24-Jul-08 16:49:36

Message withdrawn

wheresthehamster Thu 24-Jul-08 16:49:51

Yes, I agree, that was just an example of one of the schools I've worked in.

Christie Thu 24-Jul-08 17:30:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now