Talk

Advanced search

primary school admissions

(10 Posts)
bredicot Sat 05-Feb-05 20:15:48

having got first s into local school, relaxed and assumed others would get in under sibling link. Shocked to hear a conversation recently where someone had read or heard on tele, that gvt is considering abolishing sibling links. has anyone else heard this or was he talking nonsense??

mckenzie Sat 05-Feb-05 20:28:26

I have heard something about this but dont know the exact details.

RTKangaMummy Sat 05-Feb-05 20:35:58

Do you still live close to the school?

eg. If you still live close or if you have moved then that may affect the admission

If it is a church school then do you still go to church?

coppertop Sat 05-Feb-05 20:40:56

I think the plan is to stop situations where parents get one child into the school, move away from the catchment area but still get their other children in. Apparently this means that in some places there are children within the catchment area who are being turned down because placings are being given to children outside it under the sibling link policy.

In my local area it has been ruled that the policy of reserving places for children of the staff is also wrong.

JanH Sat 05-Feb-05 20:42:19

Just searched on the Guardian website and DFES under "siblings admissions" and "primary schools admissions" and found nothing there...

Not necessarily conclusive mind you!

JanH Sat 05-Feb-05 20:43:38

ct, if that's what it's about then I have to say bravo to the LEAs!

RTKangaMummy Sat 05-Feb-05 20:45:30

CT yes that sounds fair to me too

misdee Sat 05-Feb-05 20:46:58

ct i bloomin well hope so. i live close to a lovely school but cant get dd1 in for love or money as it heavily over subscribed. so we walk twice the distance to get to her current school, and pass so many people who live further than we do to get to our 1st choice school. makes me angry. dd1 keeps asking why she cant go to one thats closer.

RTKangaMummy Sat 05-Feb-05 20:48:38

bredicot

Have you moved or has something else happened?

grumpyfrumpy Sun 06-Feb-05 17:42:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: