Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

not happy - how can governors help - or can't they?

(20 Posts)
flatmouse Wed 16-Jul-08 12:41:08

We found out teacher allocation for next year, and it seems that the teacher that has been allocated for Y4 is an NQT. (having previously understood that they would be having a "known to be strict" experienced teacher next year).

I have no issue with an NQT in general, let's face it - all teachers are one at some point. The issue i have is that this is the 3rd NQT this class has had in their school life so far. The one they have had this year has not managed to control/discipline/successfully manage the class, and as such the kids are beginning to run wild and need a firm hand next year.

There is also a very wide range of abilities within the class, and i believe it would take a teacher of experience to be able to accommodate and motivate all levels.

Having a discussion with the head this afternoon. Where do we stand? What help could we ask for from the Governors?

Suggestions please. Thanks.

Blandmum Wed 16-Jul-08 12:45:04

You wouldn't have a leg to stand on, IMHO.

as you say an NQT has to start somewhere, saying this but 'Not this class please' smacks of educational NIMBYism.

For all you know this NQT could rule them with a rod of iron, god knows I did when I was an NQT.

Plus he/she is newly trained with loads of good ideas and enthusiasm. They will be monitored more closely than other teachers and if there is a problem it should be picked up and sorted sooner.

If there is a problem later on, then you are right to raise it, but blackballing this teacher before the event? I don't think you have (or should have) a chance.

flatmouse Wed 16-Jul-08 12:57:17

Thanks MB. I understand your comments. And yes, perhaps this is NIMBYism, but it has got to the point that my disappointment with the standard of schooling(particularly with YR and Y3) has lead me to take the selfish attitude that it's MY child and i must fight for what is best for them, rather than a fairer more pragmatic approach.

Blandmum Wed 16-Jul-08 13:04:31

Moreover you don't know that this NQT will be substandard.

For all you know they could be one of the best teachers in the school

While I would have sympathy with you complaining about a teacher you know to be crap, it is mildly mad to complain about a teacher that you know nothing about.

'I wish to complain about my dcs having a new teacher who may or may not be crap' Sounds daft, doesn't it? smile

Governers will thing you are a little unreasonable

LIZS Wed 16-Jul-08 13:08:41

sorry can't see you getting anywhere. Sounds more like a case of mismanaged expectations than an issue of allocation.

Is it a one class intake ? Same could be true for any class group but this teacher may well be as good if not better at dealing with them in terms of range and discpline than a more established teacher.

Hassled Wed 16-Jul-08 13:09:59

In any case the Governors are there to help with the overall strategic aims and values of the school, rather than the day to day operational stuff. That's the HT's domain and I as a Governor would hesitate to question operational decisions that the Head had made. I could feed-back your views, and give advice to the Head as I saw fit, but no more than that.

I do understand why you're a bit twitchy but I think you need to give it a bit of time.

paros Wed 16-Jul-08 13:10:05

Godd I wish my ds had the Nqt teacher this year by all accounts she is great . his teacher on the other hand well if your into music and are girls you will do well . But if your a boy god help you . i think Nqts are great they have all these ideas and enthusiam (sp) .But have to say Ds teacher last year (I would lay down and die for her LOL ) was the best teacher in the world very experienced.

nooka Wed 16-Jul-08 13:10:24

I don't think it is unreasonable to speak to the head about the situation, but you'd probably do better to concentrate on what went wrong this year and what they plan to do to make sure it doesn't go wrong again next year. I think it is reasonable to be concerned, yes the new NQT might be great, but they will be inexperienced, and it doesn't sound as if the school provided sufficient support to the last NQT if the class was starting to run wild. It also doesn't sound very fair to the incoming NQT.

flatmouse Wed 16-Jul-08 13:23:35

OK thanks. My biggest concern at this time is the discipline, so i'll be asking how they intend to manage that going forward.

And i also agree about better managing expectations. Albeit more poor communication that is the problem. The children had already spent a session with the originally proposed teacher - it all changed when a teacher from KS1 announced plans to be on secondment for a year next year.

Anyway thanks for your comments. The intent is to be as open-minded as i can this afternoon whilst also trying to get my concerns addressed.

StellaDallas Wed 16-Jul-08 13:31:09

As a governor, I would say this issue would not be within our remit - it is up to the headteacher to decide how to deploy the staff. I think it is not unreasonable of you to explain your specific concerns to the head, but you are prejudging the situation, which is rather unfair on the new teacher coming in.

MingMingtheWonderPet Wed 16-Jul-08 13:47:07

Just for the record, and I am sure you realise this anyway, my DS's class has had an NQT this year (Y2) and quit frankly she has been brilliant!
As said above, loads of enthusiasm, great standards of discipline and overall DS has improved tremendously.

Governors would not be able to help you (I am a governor and quite rightly I have no say over who teaches my DS).

Freckle Wed 16-Jul-08 13:47:19

Sorry to hijack, but I am having a similar problem at the moment. On 17th June I found out that a teacher, who was partly responsible for our decision to withdraw DS1 from the school and who DS1 blames for a lot of the awful stuff that happened to him, is going to be a Y6 teacher next year. Since we withdrew DS1, this teacher has never asked after him, will not look me in th eye and goes to great lengths to avoid me if I am in school. I immediately went into the school to request that DS3's class (currently Y5) be allocated to the other teacher, explaining my reasons. On 11th July, I found out - simply through a general notification to parents - that DS3's class had got this teacher. I had had no response to my initial contact.

I have had email correspondence from head, after I went straight in again and explained my worries, initially refusing to discuss the matter and then agreeing to a meeting but stately categorically that she will not change her mind.

Can any governors or teachers explain whether I have any chance of persuading her to change the class allocation? Or whether the governing body is likely to become involved?

Blandmum Wed 16-Jul-08 13:53:07

I think that there is a world of a difference between

a. raising real problems that have already happened

and

b. complaining about a teacher on the off chance that they are going to prove to be substandard

the first is quite sensible

the second is mildly insulting and could well prove to be needless.

Doing the former make you look reasonable. Doing the second makes you look mildly paranoid

Christie Wed 16-Jul-08 13:58:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamablue Wed 16-Jul-08 14:23:33

NQT teachers are often very keen and enthusiastic. They have just started out in a profession they have trained very hard to do and have to prove themselves. They are not yet cynical or tired. Give her a chance before you write her off, she could be fantastic. The governors will have interviewed her and therefore have already judged her to be capable of the job.

flatmouse Wed 16-Jul-08 15:17:51

But i didn't put this in the AIBU topic! wink

Seeing all your comments makes me think yes, perhaps i am being unreasonable. In my defense, i can only judge against past events - and past events (this year's NQT for example) have not been satisfactory.

However, i agree and my focus now moves from "who will be teaching" to "how the school is going to support this teacher in the areas that i have concerns about the class in general".

Blandmum Wed 16-Jul-08 15:19:28

I think that the latter is very sensible, particularly if there have been problems of this type in the past.

HonoriaGlossop Wed 16-Jul-08 16:26:13

totally agree with all you said on this topic MB

It really hits a nerve with me as a friend whose child has some SEN has literally discounted EVERYTHING said by his teacher this year because "she's straight out of college!" Even my mum (ex-teacher, of many years experience) saying to them "Oh, that's good then because she will be up on all the latest approaches" has not made a dent in their prejudice. It's utterly maddening.

anyway that's not you flatmouse. Sounds like you have come up with a sensible approach - good luck.

unknownrebelbang Wed 16-Jul-08 16:34:14

We've had great experiences with NQTs, but I can understand you feeling anxious, given the experiences you have had so far.

It's good that you've readjusted to be on the support the NQT (and the pupils) will get, fairer to everyone concerned.

othersideofthefence Wed 16-Jul-08 20:31:22

You also have to remember that your child could be allocated an experienced teacher who isn't very good.

In our school we have an NQT who has been streets ahead of one of the more experienced teachers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now