Advanced search

Anyone moved their child to another school in middle of foundation year?

(8 Posts)
newkid Tue 15-Jul-08 15:58:41

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as dd is only starting foundation in Sept. However, we have just learned that she might be one of two girls (rather than 1 of 3 or 4) in the class (there will be six boys). They share a class with Y1 and there are 3 girls and 2 boys in Y1 so she will interact with more than one girl but worried that it won't be right environment for her.

DH is really upset about this (and about other aspects of the school). It was my decision largely as school she was going to was not really local and was v large (28 in each foundation class).

Am feeling mixture of anger with DH for not being able to 'go with the flow' and upset for the fact that I may have made the wrong decision for dd.

I've promised dh that we will move dd as soon as it looks like it's not the right environment for dd but am worried about implications for her and also am wondering whether it's possible anyways.

SueW Tue 15-Jul-08 16:08:55

Don't worry about it too much if you do decide to move.

We put DD into the nursery department of her school (independent)aged 3y9m and the night before she started, DH accepted a contract in Australia. We gave a term's notice on her first day and she left three months later.

She then went from 2 full days and three mornings (or maybe 3 days/2 mornings) to kinder in Oz where she did 11 hours a week.

Then back to the UK the following September and into Reception (at the school she'd previously left).

She was fine. Honestly!

stillthinkinaboutit Tue 15-Jul-08 16:12:50

yes, moved all 3 dds at same time. youngest was in foundation about half way through. She managed perfectly fine. she was quiet to start with but as a new kid was welcomed with open arms. very settled now. dd2 was in yr 2 n took a lot longer to settle. dd1 was yr 3 n settled well, although she now hasnt got into same secondary school as friends because out of catchment. very upsettin. dd2 &3 face same prospect.difficult decisions but must make for right reasons. my dh occasionally throws my decision back at me but probably because he doesnt want any blame. perhaps your dh is the same! cant be blamed later on if all goes pear shaped!

newkid Tue 15-Jul-08 16:52:45

stillthinkinaboutit, why did you make the move? Just curious.

Our reasons would be

*ratio of boys to girls in foundation (though ratio in foundation/y1 actually OK).
*concerns about whether they will push dd who is quite bright (but sometimes hides her abilities with silliness)

Then, there are some general things (it's a church school and we are atheists etc).

stillthinkinaboutit Tue 15-Jul-08 17:43:08

moved because dd1 was bullied by a group of girls over a couple of years. constantly went into school but nothing was ever resolved on a permanent basis. education n confidence had slipped badly so we looked for a school that had a good ofsted report but mainly one where bullying was least likely. the school has been great and there have been no issues. unfortunately secondary school in our catchment is where the girls that bullied her are going. the one we wanted her to go to is a church school, we r not religious, it was just that it has a good rep n all her friends r off there. we made a decision about her primary school that i am happy in for the most part but obviously the next stage is gonna b very challengin for her n i feel guilty about that. you can only make the decision that you feel comfortable with. good luck n hope dh supports you!!

mrz Tue 15-Jul-08 19:33:17

As a reception teacher I often have children leave or enter my class during the year

sundayschild Wed 16-Jul-08 01:54:17

Don't you think it's a bit early to be worrying about your child being pushed? Talk to any teacher about how bright your child is before she's even started school and watch their eyes glaze over!

ReallyTired Wed 16-Jul-08 20:58:37

Does your area still have staggered intakes? In our country there is a huge influx of summer born children after christmas. If you moved her after one term then it would be easy for her to settle into a new school with the summer born children.

Why don't you ask the other school if there are any places? It might be possible for her to start at the other school and then transfering school would not be a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now