Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how many terms for pre-school?

(9 Posts)
Moomin Fri 04-Feb-05 18:35:26

we've just had the registration form for dd's pre-school. she's a sept b'day so we've been offered either 3, 2 or one terms, for morning sessions only.
would it be too much for her to go for the whole 3 terms before starting reception? she'll certainly be ready for it, she's mature for her age and she enjoys the social side of nursery at the moment; i just wonder if she won't be a bit fed up having 3 terms there. the alternative is to start in the january and have 2 terms.

Aero Fri 04-Feb-05 18:39:13

I'd go for the three - ime they really enjoy and benefit from their time there. You don't need to send them every day do you? Maybe start with two, then three then five in the last term perhaps.

Moomin Fri 04-Feb-05 18:44:46

the letter says it'd be for 5 mornings a week. it's the preschool attached to the primary school she'll be going to so it's not as flexible as nursery i don't think.

Moomin Fri 04-Feb-05 18:44:47

the letter says it'd be for 5 mornings a week. it's the preschool attached to the primary school she'll be going to so it's not as flexible as nursery i don't think.

Moomin Fri 04-Feb-05 18:45:17

sorry. finger had a little spasm when i clicked the post button!

Twiglett Fri 04-Feb-05 18:46:22

DS started at 3 and 3 months at pre-school so he'll have done 4.5 terms by the time he starts reception in September .. definitely the more the better IMHO

Aero Fri 04-Feb-05 20:07:27

I hadn't realised that - they're probably not as flexible as a pre-school that's not attached to a school, but it's worth calling them and asking if you don't think your little one is ready for five mornings.

stripey Fri 04-Feb-05 20:11:46

I have a ds at pre-school nursery and they are very strict about days off, don't even like to grant holidays in term time even though its not compulsory to attend school until a child is 5 (I think). A friend's child went to a different pre-school and she sent him in and kept him off whenever she felt like and the school didn't mind, I think it depends on the school.

stripey Fri 04-Feb-05 20:14:12

Sorry and in answer to the original question I think 3 terms is fine. Gets them used to everything and they can make friends before school. Ds is on his second term and loves it. Ds2 (also Sept born) will be eilgible for 5 terms in pre-school nursery I am debating whether that will be too long. I am going to wait and see how he is when it is time to start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now