Talk

Advanced search

Teachers: would this man be a good bet for a TA?

(47 Posts)
OrmIrian Mon 14-Jul-08 13:34:06

DH is applying for a TA job at a special school in the town. He is 46 and has been working in the construction industry for 9yr or so. But he is a qualified KS2 teacher but hasn't actually been in a school since about 1997. He has worked with adults with learning difficulties for SS.

Does he stand a chance?

Blandmum Mon 14-Jul-08 13:38:12

God yes. I think that most schools would fight to get him. all sorts of reasons, his experience with people with LD, being male....good male role models are thin on the ground in many schools etc

NomDePlume Mon 14-Jul-08 13:38:15

Sorry, I'm not a teacher but your DH sound slike he has as good a chnace as anyone ! Moreso perhaps, given that he has both 'frontline' teaching experience and experience of working with people with special needs.

NomDePlume Mon 14-Jul-08 13:39:36

oh, and has kids of his own too.

Most of the TA's in DD's school are either parents of pupils (no formal quals or experience) or are students on teacher training or about to start the course.

maidamess Mon 14-Jul-08 13:41:08

A male TA would be very welcome at my school, where we are overrun with females, me included.

VanillaPumpkin Mon 14-Jul-08 13:42:23

The only problem he will face is being overqualified. Def go for it. Being male is an advantage. Wish him luck!

nell12 Mon 14-Jul-08 13:43:00

He sounds like a fab candidate; however, a school may see his teaching qualification and wonder if your DH is using the TA job to get back into teaching and thus only want to be in the job for a short time. Your DH may need to make his long-term aspirations clear.

Best of luck smile

OrmIrian Mon 14-Jul-08 13:43:44

Thankyou.

I thought the fact that he was a man might help.

Problem is the closing date is Wed so it involves a lot of running around to get the form in on time and he will have to take a day off for the interview which he is reluctant to do as he's being laid off next month and we need all the money he can earn right now. So I suppose I want to know if there is some sort of point to it.

OrmIrian Mon 14-Jul-08 13:44:32

nell12 - he may well be doing just that (I'm sort of hoping he might). But even so he'd still be in the job for a while.

nell12 Mon 14-Jul-08 13:45:55

So he will need to think carefully about how he answers any questions regarding returning to teaching

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 13:46:39

Message withdrawn

NomDePlume Mon 14-Jul-08 13:48:58

Eh ? Who said it did ?

Are parents not 'teaching assistants' then ? Do parents not reinforce what children have learnt in school by way of homewpork, reading books etc. [pedantic snurk]

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 13:49:28

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Mon 14-Jul-08 13:50:17

Thanks nell. I'll warn him.

cod you are quite right. But I think in our school the Venn diagram has quite a few parents-who-are-also-teachers/TAs in the little middle bit.

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 13:50:46

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Mon 14-Jul-08 13:58:16

I think he a fairly good idea. As he taught for a while. The admin was what put him off originally.

And he's not exactly been taking it easy for the last 9 yrs grin

VanillaPumpkin Mon 14-Jul-08 14:00:17

I have no TA qualifications but do help out once a week at the school. I have a good degree.
I applied for the TA job at my dd's school. I was not expecting to get it and indeed didn't make the short list. The head called me in though to explain and give me some very useful feedback. The first thing he said was what an excellent application it was and asked why I wasn't going for my PGCE with the qualifications I had saying I would walk onto a course shock. I then confessed it was my long term goal when the dd's are both at school. He said they suspected that and they needed someone who could be with them to take the EY forward over the next three years.
This is why I mention being over qualified. He may well need an answer for it.

NomDePlume Mon 14-Jul-08 14:02:39

blah, blah.

Teaching is a cake-walk isn't it fishy - colouring in, reading a bit of Biff & Chip, home at 3 and nice long holidays ?!

Slouchy Mon 14-Jul-08 14:06:15

Quick point - I am a sec teacher, currently working as a TA in primary (part of a long-term plan to switch into primary).

Being a TA is great - hard work but lots of fun. BUT BUT BUT BUT...the pay is appalling especially for a qualified teacher and he may find this sticks in his craw a bit!

Slouchy Mon 14-Jul-08 14:07:41

<<Lol at NomdePLume waving a worm around (i.e. cod-baiting)>>

katebee Mon 14-Jul-08 14:18:11

NOTICE TO TEACHERS
Surely you need to be able to spell to be a teacher?!!! wink

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 14:40:32

Message withdrawn

maidamess Mon 14-Jul-08 15:55:03

We've just advertisied for 4 TA's at my school. A fair few Mums applied, but thankfully those with zero experience didn't get the job. Or those that did didn't just say how the hours would suit them, and their childrens holidays hmm.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 14-Jul-08 15:56:55

When we appointed LSAs, being a man was a very big plus by itself TBH.

With his other experience he must be well-placed.

Whizzz Mon 14-Jul-08 15:58:53

Yes!! I am a TA in secondary & I think the fact that he is a qualified teacher & has experience of SEN issues will be a good starter. Obviously males are in short supply (we have a few in our school & they are fab!). Best of luck to him & do let us know how he gets on.

I do hate the assumption that you are only a TA "to fit in with the kids" Grrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now