Talk

Advanced search

Advertising in schools

(10 Posts)
flashingnose Thu 03-Feb-05 10:48:56

Twice now this term, ds (year 1) has come out of school full of enthusiasm for an out of school activity that has come into school to promote themselves (e.g. a drama workshop). They are not cheap. The promotion/demonstration is in school time.

Am I right to feel cross or am I a miserable old bag?

coppertop Thu 03-Feb-05 10:57:08

I would feel pretty annoyed too tbh. It sounds as though they're relying on pester power to get parents to sign up. I also think it's wrong to use school time to give these demonstrations. I know schools need more funding but I don't think this is the way to go about it.

flashingnose Thu 03-Feb-05 11:01:57

Well, that's my feeling really. Am weighing up whether to go and see the scarey Headmistress about it.

Caligula Thu 03-Feb-05 11:34:01

I personally wouldn't mind if something like a drama workshop came into school, because it's an opportunity I might not find out about otherwise.

I think at this age, using school time to promote stuff like this, as long as it is a valid extra-curricular activity, is acceptable - it's all learning about what's out in the world.

Wouldn't approve of something like MonkeyBizz coming in though. Drama/ theatre, sport, brownies - all OK. Purely commercial stuff like playbarns, not OK.

flashingnose Thu 03-Feb-05 11:39:23

I think my feelings are compounded by the fact that the school are very bad at communication - all that ever seems to come back in ds's book bag is requests for money or adverts. To then come back saying they'd been advertised to in school time just p*ssed me off, to be honest. School just seems to involve me reaching into my pocket on an almost daily basis .

starlover Thu 03-Feb-05 11:49:52

I think it's good in some ways, because there are always kids out there whose parents wouldn't bother to find out about stuff like that otherwise.

flashingnose Thu 03-Feb-05 11:52:37

OK, so I am an old bag then .

JulieF Thu 03-Feb-05 21:18:24

Oh dear we often advertise our drama classes in this way! Its a good cost effective way to advertise to people who may not know about us.

I personally object more to companies like Nestle trying to get parents to buy their cereal to raise money as they are one of the most unethical companies out.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Thu 03-Feb-05 22:10:11

I'd be cross too. I don't think schools should be advertising opportunities. I ranted loud and long about a similar sort of thing here . Ask to see the school's policy on business and advertising if you want to know more. Hey, where does it end otherwise? McDonalds handing out leaflets on nutrition? Companies want to advertise, fine, but don't do it to MY children on school time IMO.

Caligula Thu 03-Feb-05 23:50:57

www, I have actually seen a food and nutrition poster in a school domestic science (or whatever it's called nowadays) room, with the McDonald's golden arches on it.

I was speechless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now