Talk

Advanced search

SCHOOL REPORTS - absences - how many? - what does yours say??

(38 Posts)
forevercleaning Tue 08-Jul-08 19:11:15

Does yours say

AUTHORISED ABSENCES - number

UNAUTHORISED ABSENCES - NUMBER

LATES BEFORE REGISTRATION - NUMBER

LATES AFTER REGISTRATION - NUMBER

What have they put on yours? Just read mine and sooooooooooo blush

Jajas Tue 08-Jul-08 19:12:04

What does number mean? Lots?

forevercleaning Tue 08-Jul-08 19:12:39

yes it states how many days off etc

janeite Tue 08-Jul-08 19:13:16

Yes, ours report it as half days, using the headings you've given. It's also given as a percentage.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 08-Jul-08 19:13:29

we got ds1's today;
attendances - 307
authorised - 4 (what for? I have no idea - does this include sick?)
unauthorised - 12
Including
approved educational activity - 1 (WTF is this????)
not lates or unexplained.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 08-Jul-08 19:14:21

ours is half days and also has % aswell - I asume they just use a standard programme.

forevercleaning Tue 08-Jul-08 19:14:49

yes the authorised is sick when you have sent a note in.

unauthorised is hols etc.

god knows what the approved activity is - school trip out?

TheFallenMadonna Tue 08-Jul-08 19:15:28

Authorised absences are when a letter has been received from home explaining the absence, or permission has been given by the school. Unauthorised is where there's no explanantion. Aprroved whatsit probably school trip.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 08-Jul-08 19:17:30

i know unauthorised - that was out hol.
couldnt place the authorised, but he has probably had 1 day sick, then he didn't go in a few weeks ago when we had the dog put down. I guess the fact that they were told is what makes it authorised.
Still no idea on the activity - they have had 1 half day trip and 1 full day trip (plus another yesterday but that probably isn't included) so don't think it can be trips.

forevercleaning Tue 08-Jul-08 19:35:09

just looking for a few more people before I admit what I read on DS2 report blush

clam Tue 08-Jul-08 19:43:37

The number of absences quoted often leads to confusion, as it refers to sessions, i.e. half days. Loads of people look at that and gasp, thinking that surely their child hasn't been off that much. Ideally, you're looking at the upper 90s %-wise.
Approved educational activity might mean something like where they have been to a music session at another school, or a sports' tournament or something.
But re: the lates... how can you be late before registration? That's a new one on me.

forevercleaning Tue 08-Jul-08 19:45:26

well clam on the lates before registration there were 15 !!!
Think its after the bell has gone and gagte closed. ie entering via the office but before registration.

Lucycat Tue 08-Jul-08 19:45:52

Not got our reports yet - god knows when we will be getting them tbh - then again the dds don't finish school for another 2 1/2 weeks. sad

ChasingSquirrels Tue 08-Jul-08 19:45:53

ours says "late before registration closed" and "late after registration closed".

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flamesparrow Tue 08-Jul-08 19:59:39

100% grin

(DD loves school, and I have gone into "winning" mode and kept wanting to get through "just this half term", now I will be upset if she's off before the end of term blush I know I am odd, I am competing with myself btw, not other parents!!)

We do have one late mark angry because I stupidly took her to the doctor to check she was ok for school hmm

RustyBear Tue 08-Jul-08 20:16:23

Where I work, late before registration closed is when the teacher has done the register but it hasn't gone back to the office, late after is when it has - in practice it's before or after the start of assembly.
It can also be confusing because some systems have a fairly early cut off date for putting lates on the report.
We wouldn't count a doctor's appointment as late if we'd been told about it

Flamesparrow Tue 08-Jul-08 20:18:35

It is classed as "late with authorisation" or summat

andyrobo237 Tue 08-Jul-08 20:28:49

We had a 97.5% attendance rate - she had four days off ill - three separate incidents (three were Thursdays and the other one was a Wednesday and Thursday - how sad am I!!), and one afternoon off as an authorised leave - when we went to Center Parcs for the weekend.

We have 'approved educational activity' and this included the afternoon off last school year when DD did her dancing exams. Others have had it for swimming galas and the like!

forevercleaning Tue 08-Jul-08 20:28:55

The thing is ours does not say whether it is half days or whole days and there is no %

So i have 18 authorised absences and 14 unauthorised. Sounds bad enough on half days let alone whole days blush

forevercleaning Tue 08-Jul-08 20:31:01

must be halves surely?

I cannot remember. But worst of all is there was a cut off in MAY!!!

andyrobo237 Tue 08-Jul-08 20:43:11

Ours had a full A4 print out so you could clearly see what days the absences were for, and there were two marks for every day - looks like a standard package!

DITDOT Thu 10-Jul-08 10:02:20

Just got DD's and she has been put down as on holiday in term time in May. We are both teachers so this would never happen!!

Quite worrying that she was marked absent when she was there. Fire reasons.

School should be able to tell you what the approved activity was and what date if you ring them

Should be on their system

cory Sat 12-Jul-08 19:53:34

ok I'm only coming on this thread to make you lot feel good: dd had an attendance rate of 59% this year!

But she does have serious health issues. Incidentally, they seem to have counted her 6 weeks in hospital as absences which is wrong, as she was attending the hospital school. Oh well, never mind.

singersgirl Sat 12-Jul-08 21:01:15

DS1 is nearly 10 and just finishing Y5 and I was surprised to see that he has not missed a day of school this year. And we haven't been late at all either! Am feeling chuffed about that. DS2, nearly 7, has only had 1 day off sick. We are getting past that 'ill all the time' phase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now