Talk

Advanced search

teachers - prevalence of slapped cheek in secondary schools???

(7 Posts)
berolina Mon 31-Jan-05 19:24:08

Hi there all from one teacher to others - well, I'm not a 'real' teacher, but I teach student teachers .
I'm off with a small group of students into a school on Weds to perform a play we've been working on for the kids (13-16yo). As I'm also 23 weeks pg and know from a blood test that I'm not immune to slapped cheek, I was wondering about your experiences with the prevalence of this in secondary - is it common? We are in Germany, but I assume it'll be much the same as in the UK. What guidelines have you had about exposure to slapped cheek when pg?
TIA

berolina Mon 31-Jan-05 19:24:47

ps there is a similar q in the pg section, in case ayone's wondering.

janeybops Mon 31-Jan-05 19:47:12

My son has just been diagnosed with this on Sat, there is advice on the NHS Direct website. Basically it can be a danger to the fetus I seem to remember if you catch it up to 20 weeks pg

janeybops Mon 31-Jan-05 19:50:44

or try this

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/expert/2059.html

marialuisa Tue 01-Feb-05 10:38:19

DD's ill with this at the moment, my understanding is that it only occurs in small children, esp 3-6year olds and that the only risk in pregnancy is before 20 wks. There's a mini-epidemic in my area at the moment.

Nome Tue 01-Feb-05 11:40:22

I had this in my twenties and was rather ill. Problem is that the staff generally might not be told or the only the school nurse or the child might be sent in by their parents regardless.
A couple of years ago where I was teaching it turned out that a girl with German measles/rubella had been allowed into the main exam hall to sit her exams. As a colleague was pg at the time we were furious that we hadn't been told and that special arrangements hadn't been made for the girl to sit the exams in isolation. I found it out by chance chatting to the nurse, so the school had been told.
Waffle, waffle. This isn't helping very much, is it? You could try talking to the school office - they might have been notified if there are any cases in the school? I don't know how it is transmitted - contact? sneezing? Might be worth finding that out.

berolina Tue 01-Feb-05 14:13:58

Hi there all. Thanks for your help.

I rang the school and first had to patiently explain what it is (!), then when I described the 'slapped cheek' appearance they said 'oh, we don't have any of that'. Oh well...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: