Talk

Advanced search

tips for getting DS to write cursive and not print.

(6 Posts)
grumpyfrumpy Mon 31-Jan-05 10:58:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 31-Jan-05 11:37:30

I think the cursive writing while he's storywriting will come, but it's a difficult thing to push IYSWIM. They are two developing skills in a young child and he will be able to do the two together, just not yet!

I had children in Y2 who would not be using cursive writing consistently at this point in the academic year, but many would be by the end of the year.

Has it been highlighted as an issue by his class teacher? I'm wondering because "joined" writing is something that is considered when marking Y2 SATS.

oatcake Mon 31-Jan-05 11:40:13

out of interest, why is this so important (apart from SATS)? surely the point should be more on grammar and spelling rather than being able to join up?

dh writes in angry looking block caps and has done all the time I've known him..

grumpyfrumpy Mon 31-Jan-05 11:53:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

roisin Mon 31-Jan-05 14:38:28

I really wouldn't push it grumpyfrumpy ... I certainly wouldn't make SATs results a reason for pushing him. They are an assessment of the teaching, not the students. Level 3 is the 'target' for children at the end of year 4, because most children should be writing cursive by then. Many children in yr2 are not writing cursive - either because they haven't been taught, or they don't choose to.

My ds1 learned cursive in yr2, but only started to use it by choice towards the very end of the year.

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 31-Jan-05 17:10:40

Yes, as I thought, this target isn't necessarily in the interest of your ds, it's because the school would like a level 3 on their Y2 SAT results!

I really would not push the issue with him and don't worry about it, as I say, it will develop throughout his writing naturally over time .

Oatcake, joined writing becomes important because as children write more, it's quicker to do so in a joined style. I also think it's less important than other skills but becomes helpful as they begin to write longer stories etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: