Talk

Advanced search

Steiner school / Scotland

(49 Posts)
suzun Tue 24-Jun-08 14:32:41

I know there are lots of threads on this subject already but just wondered if anyone elses children have been ruined by the steiner education.

My dd has been bullied for the last 4yrs and have only just realised from threads on here about the Anthroposothy side. Yes i know after 4yrs.

DD was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome but now we have been told by the clinical psych that he believes she was wrongly diagnosed in the beginning and it was a result of constant bullying that was not dealt with.
She was bullied on a daily basis and there are also child protection issues which i wont go into.

She is now home educated and is almost a different child although will take some time to recover.

I really am furious and hoping to get a report from the psych to send to the school and also the HMIE are due to inspect soon and i want them to also have a copy.

There are so many thing that the school should be answerable to but you never get a straight answer.

My son is 8 and has had 5 teachers in the space of a year.I really want out of the school but my boys want to stay.
I'm sure it is because they know nothing else.

We are ostricised by my dds old teacher and really feel outside of the 'community'lol.

Both my boys will be so behind accademically that they will really struggle in a mainstream school and also they are not used to full days either.

A friend of mine was given 8,000 pounds by a uk steiner school to keep quiet about the bullying of his child by a steiner teacher.

There was a recent class trip and on the last night the boys and girls were allowed to stay in the same tent. These were 13/14 and 15yr olds :0

There are so many shocking things that i want to blurt out but have to be careful.

I find the teachers well most of them very odd and it seems to be the norm to swap partners there too.I'm not joking either .

We have just recieved a letter asking for a full years fees upfront by end of July. Has anyone had this type of thing happen.

Bws

s

nanettawoman Thu 29-Jun-17 13:54:04

Bullying and safegurding issues at Rudolf Steiner school Kings Langley. Children are victims. See report: reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/117631

Mov1ngOn Sun 15-May-16 15:25:06

That's scary. Iwas almost tempted by the one near me.

Tamarandave Sat 14-May-16 22:29:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

barkinglordwhatwhat Fri 13-May-16 20:17:30

As a former pupil, I can honestly say that Waldorf/Steiner education, together with the awful teachers and the constant bullying and abuse ruined many peoples lives. Both children and parents who raised concerns
Forget the smooth propaganda on YouTube etc, it is not worth the gamble sending your child to a Steiner school. The risks are huge
The same issues that crop up in the UK waldorf schools are present in other parts of the world as well. I would never send one of my children to a Steiner School but would rather let them read books at home.
Sadly my experiences are not unique. I went to 2 different Steiner schools and have subsequently met ex pupils who were also badly bullied and/or sexually abused by staff. I have met people who attempted suicide as adults due to their experiences in Steiner Schools. There are also people who enjoyed themselves and have done well but I suspect they would have done well wherever they went.
At my second Steiner school a pupil was given permanent brain damage and left as a vegetable when another jumped on his head repeatedly. Other pupils were victimised with homophobic bullying, racist bullying, and bullying based on disability. For example, a very vulnerable girl with MS was called spastic and imitated mercilessly and bullied by all the girls, most of the boys and some of the teachers. They obviously did nothing to stop the bullying. What tended to happen was that even kids who were not the ringleaders all joined in to avoid being victims themselves. Teachers also did this as they sought popularity with the bullies who were invariably the most popular, the fastest runners, best at sports etc.
Other pupils were bullied due to minor disabilities or unusual appearance.
So what new...bullying happens in most schools. Well here is the problem:
Anthropology views bullying as both Karma and that the soul of the disabled person is impure. As as result nothing is done to stop the bullying despite.
With a heavy emphasis on Greek, Roman and Norse history and myths/legends, a subliminal message is taught that only being white and of an athletic and attractive physic is the goal. Anyone not fitting this is an outcast.
Class Teachers who take the morning 1.40hr lesson each morning remain the same for classes 1-8. So if they bully or are otherwise bad teachers your DC will be lumbered with them for 8 years potentially
Bright students have no place in Steiner School, since reading, maths and science are held back, neglected or dismissed as unimportant according to some staff. Furthermore since many teachers for upper school, GCSE and A level stages are not properly qualified to teach their subject, bright students have no one to bring them on.
Steiner Teachers in my school were often unqualified for the subject they taught. Due to shortage of teachers (low wages) and the fact that teachers didn't have to have a PGCE, only the Steiner teachers course. Some Steiner teachers would never be up to teaching in a state school. Many are overgrown hippies and tend to be egoists in my experience. There are a few really nice teachers, but most are a nasty, ragtag bunch of loony lefties with no moral standards (dont be fooled by the nice trees and pretty picture you will be shown on open day)
Anyone under the impression that morality or being nice to each other is taught or encouraged in Steiner schools has been misled. On the one hand there is the quasi Christian and mystical side in the books, yet most of the the staff and the enthusiastic anthroposophists are left wing and liberal in moral outlook and this permeates the world-view children are provided.
Also quite a number of kids in Steiner Schools have been excluded from mainstream schools or have been troublemakers, but since their parents can pay, they are welcomed since they can pay full fees and Steiner education is not cheap. Money talks so the bad eggs find a home, but the good kids suffer academically and psychologically because of these imported, often disruptive, bullying kids.
Bullying is far worse in Steiner Schools for various reasons.
Lack of supervision in break times. Teachers were often smoking behind an outbuilding instead. Lack of an authority figure to whom teachers are accountable if they do nothing (ie no head) There is also the issue of Karma in that teachers believe it is the child's necessary path to be bullied or even the child's fault for actions in a previous life. Lack of accountability to Parent Governors. In Steiner Schools, the teachers together with a few prominent supporters/anthroposophists (college of teachers) are in charge of decisions and staff issues.
Basically the way Steiner schools are set up provides the ideal setting for incompetent, immoral, abusive and irresponsible teachers to succeed and be protected. In the 1980's 90's a paedophile was allowed to remain working at a West Midlands Steiner school for years and rather than being held accountable was demoted from teacher to caretaker. Many students were targeted at school and in their own homes since he befriended parents and co-teachers

Mummycaring Fri 02-Oct-15 21:28:45

I could not possibly recommend Steiner School's to anyone at present. The child safeguarding is seriously and dangerously deficient in my experience. I have evidence of this in writing also.

Mummycaring Fri 06-Feb-15 16:20:16

Some Steiner School child protection practices are dreadful. They will have to change or more children will be abused. No sign they are getting the message.

escaped Mon 29-Dec-14 21:58:47

I cant tell you how insulting you insinuations are!
Biased because we hate the idea?! We are biased because we have experienced abuse and have evidence. You should be ashamed of yourself for lack of compassion and understanding of the true facts and suffering we went through at the hands of steiner education. Do not presume to know or advise people to be wary of such a blog! Shame on you, you ignorant person.

escaped Mon 29-Dec-14 21:44:55

"watch out" for people that post on stop steiner in Stroud. I do hope you are not suggesting we are making it up? If anyone wants a full rounded view of honest actual accounts of steiner education please read the stop steiner in Stroud blog. We post our real life, true, honest facts on this site.

Stopsteiner Mon 29-Dec-14 13:56:37

reluctancyisthebestpolicy says "beware of these stop steiner people" and that our stuff is "pretty worrying".
Stopsteiner is designed to provide information so that parents can make an informed choice when they look at Steiner education. comments from other critics and links to other sites mean that parents can make up their own minds. There are comments from Steiner supporters too.
The original poster Suzun was embarrassed to admit she did know about anthroposophy or that it is the reason for the problems in Steiner schools, even after four years! This is not her fault; the schools obfuscate when asked about anthroposophy, and most parents until now did not even know it existed.
Some parents may not object to this bizarre belief system being used on their children, but at least they should know about it before they sign up.
If reluctancyisthebestpolicy "knows people" he may have a connection with Steiner. Yes, be careful what you are reading, as he says, and do as much of your own research as possible.
Helen

reluctantcyisthebestpolicy Mon 29-Dec-14 11:33:53

hi guys. its always sad to hear of bad experiences sad Id beware of these stop steiner people too... read a lot of their stuff its pretty worrying. theyre pretty obvs biased because they hate the idea behind it not the practice. a lot of the schools get pretty good inspections and I know ppl that came through and did well in life, at least one dr. I know ppl that did much worse in my locaql state school with bullying and intimidation. be careful what yr reading guys smile

Stopsteiner Tue 26-Aug-14 22:11:16

Please come to this blog and help stop other parents from falling into the trap of Steiner education.
stopsteinerinstroud.com/2014/08/26/plans-to-be-resubmitted/

Willow22 Sun 24-Aug-14 11:45:06

I've not read this thread before but just came across it. I noticed it was old and wasn't going to comment until I saw your message JaneGI. I'm so sorry to hear how bad it was for you and your fellow pupils in the 70s.

I hate to admit it now but we sent all three of our children to a Steiner school and we so regret the decision. My daughter was bullied both by the children and one of the teachers. My husband once arrived to collect her and found her soaking wet and covered in mud after being tipped into the local stream from a wheelbarrow. When he spoke to a teacher he was told she asked for it. We don't know how it happened but even if she had volunteered to ride the wheelbarrow why didn't they clean her up and comfort her? She was bullied incessantly as were other children in her class and nothing was ever done. when she eventually became afraid to attend school we were asked to remove her because she was disrupting the class by not taking part in lessons!

My two boys did not experience this sort of thing but the level of education was really bad. The eldest left with two GCSEs, a C in Maths and a F in English and found college impossible to cope with yet he has an IQ in the gifted range. My younger son was asked to leave when we got into arreas with the fees after a lot of family problems incuding still having to cope with our daughter's ongoing mental health problems partly caused by her experiences at the school.

This is the school that is now a state funded academy and has received an £8,000,000 grant after the local education authority refused to help our children with their dyslexia due to a shortage of funding!

MinimalistMommi Sat 10-May-14 17:10:03

Just look at this:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2384747/Ringwood-Waldorf-School-pupils-told-cut-art-lesson.html shock

JaneGI Tue 06-May-14 19:25:40

Hope you don`t mind me writing on here but i have been thinking of this for that last few days. I was a child at a Steiner School in the 1970`s, bullying there was rife by Staff and Pupils alike, no one ever listened, no one ever stopped it, don`t know if i can go into it all because it is quite painful, but there was a girl in my class who was slightly different to everyone else because she had a medical condition that meant she was over weight. One particular PE lesson, i don`t exactly know what happened because i wasn`t there that day, some other girls in the class went into the changing rooms, stripped her and put stinging nettles on her buttocks, nothing was done about it because the idea was it was her own fault. I was a boarder there for some time and on regular occasions i had a boy come into my room at night who told me i would be dead in the morning. I also witnessed a teacher hit a child on the back of the neck so hard the child vomited. And witnessed another teacher drag a small girl by her hair along a path very hard because she didn`t want to go outside. I know this is an old thread but i just needed to tell some one. Thanks for reading.

kaumana Sun 09-Jun-13 12:00:38

Have a look at the Local Edinburgh thread and you'll see that it is still a problem.

AJMG Fri 07-Jun-13 18:57:53

dear all - have not been on this website for some time but now find ourselves in the midst of a Steiner bullying situation in Scotland. See there has been a thread before and wondered if any of those involved are still here?

guyane Sat 05-Jul-08 21:16:51

Thanks, , we'll see; eyes open at all costs... Perhaps the next stage in the 'evolution' of Steiner education is to transform the pseudo religious belief system (I totally agree with that analysis) into a genuine philosophy (i.e. without the 'belief' criterion)... but I go cautiously on that one for now. I wonder what would happen if I mentioned Richard Dawkins wink?

northernrefugee39 Sat 05-Jul-08 20:45:39

hi guyane, thanks for your sympathetic post. There are actually more than the three families who have posted on this thread with stories like this; many people have come on over the past months relating quite similar and sad tales of the problems with Steiner schools.
Many of them have been banned too, set in motion by antthroposophists determined not to allow public discussion of negative stories about Steiner .
Like you, I have always believed that there are some good things within the curriculum, but while it is lead by anthroposophy, the schools are harnessed by a retrogressive and rigid pseudo religious belief system.
Interesting you mention "overt anthroposophical tendencies" as a criticism of your previous school, because "covert" anthroposophy is the real danger in my eyes. The fact they go to such enormous lengths to hide it is the biggest warning sign that they behave in a cult like way.
I truly hope your new school is the one for your kids and they come through it well.
I always believed that if these schools existed without the anthroposophy they could be wonderful.

guyane Sat 05-Jul-08 19:42:56

Oh this is so sad. You have experienced the worst of Steiner education and teachers - we have been through a similar place in Scotland (partner swapping, overt anthroposophical tendencies and generally unreal people...). A good Steiner school brings education first, nothing more, and really does allow the children to develop fully all their multiple intelligences. The school you have experienced brings others into disrepute and should, I have always said since my own experiences there (say no more...), be fully investigated and closed. Our own children are returning to Steiner education in a properly run school teaching the children the full Waldord curriculum with state and waldorf-trained teachers .. but the fees to match ... but the pupil successes too. Good luck to you all (and to us, I hope we're doing the right thing for our kids...).

plumandolive Fri 04-Jul-08 17:00:55

It's the name of our two black guineapigs.... posh shop my foot grin

It's amazing how much nicer people are to plumandolive than northern actually.
But maybe I become sweeter with my new persona.

I think I posted on the Steiner threads as plum once too when things were slow....nothing bad, promise...

There's a shop near us in fact, called Plum. it sells trinkets and such stuff....gifts it does.. qute nuice, a place my 13 yr old goes for friends presents....

barking Fri 04-Jul-08 16:39:30

Love the name Northern, sounds like an exclusive boutique
you're too posh for me grin

plumandolive Fri 04-Jul-08 16:34:27

Yikes- that's my other user name- it's me northern who is also plum... as people get cross with Steiner threads I use this name too....

plumandolive Fri 04-Jul-08 16:32:46

Oh hi suzun, I actually sent you a message at netmums with my email, I don't have it on here yet.
I keep thinking I'll do cat, and then think, oh they're going to ban me soon, what's the point? Hee Hee

Hi barkingsmile

barking Fri 04-Jul-08 16:28:18

Suzan, I think you can log in via my mumsnet then look at your email options to yay or nay cat (contact another talker)

suzun Fri 04-Jul-08 16:23:27

Hi Northern
Sorry to sound thick lol but how do i get messages on here because i can't seem to find a way of recieving them

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »