Talk

Advanced search

Ask the audience .... homework help for DS1 please

(21 Posts)
MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 19:57:43

What makes the use of alcohol such a difficult topic for some people to make their minds up about?

He has to write an essay of 500words and is up to 207.

He's 12 btw.

TIA

kernowcat Thu 27-Jan-05 19:59:28

Is he yr7 or 8?
Was the essay title?

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 20:01:56

That was the essay title and he's in Y7.

kernowcat Thu 27-Jan-05 20:04:47

ok I'll just ask my DS if hes any ideas? (he's yr7)

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 20:05:37

thanks. If we can repay the favour etc......

morningpaper Thu 27-Jan-05 20:05:46

Jeez it's a bit depressing when even the TEACHERS come up with incoherent sentences...

morningpaper Thu 27-Jan-05 20:06:53

Does that mean "Why is the use of alcohol controversial?"

IS it?

Or is it just controversial for 12 year-olds?

I don't get it.

kernowcat Thu 27-Jan-05 20:07:18

Sorry we're stumped!!!! He's gone away to think?????

SenoraPostrophe Thu 27-Jan-05 20:08:13

...because a) it's a dangerous drug, but b) it is an inherent part of our culture - celebration=champagne; 18th birthday=get drunk (not wahay, I can vote); "have a good time last night?"="did you get drunk" etc.

that kind of thing?

kernowcat Thu 27-Jan-05 20:09:03

Maybe you need to drink before answering the question????
Its worth a try......................

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 20:09:35

apparently she just wrote the title on the board and told them to write a 500 word essay. This was in RS (Religion and Society)

lockets Thu 27-Jan-05 20:10:00

Message withdrawn

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 20:12:22

need a big drink.
He's loving your suggestions senorap.

lunavix Thu 27-Jan-05 20:13:19

just get him to do 50 words on an introduction (I dunno, what is alcohol ) 200 words on why it is bad (religion, death, illness, drunken behaviour) 200 words on why it is good, I mean, accepted (social behaviour, drunk=fun, culture of going down the pub) and 50 word conclusion ie people are drawn either way which is why some are majorly for and some are very against.

Well, that's what I'd do!

morningpaper Thu 27-Jan-05 20:13:25

Oh so he wants a FOR and AGAINST type thing:

FOR:
Alcohol is a social lubricant
Moderate alcohol consumption is shown to be benficial to your heart
Alcohol has been safety enjoyed since the beginning of history
Alcohol relaxes people, which is a feeling they enjoy
Alcohol can taste nice and is enjoyable to drink

AGAINST:
Alcohol can lead to a 'yob' culture
Alcohol can develop into an expensive and destructive habit
You may do something you regret
You could sleep with ugly people

CONCLUSION:
Responsible alcohol use should be taught and encouraged so that everyone can enjoy alcohol in moderation.

Can he tell his teacher than loads of women his mum met on the internet did his homework for him?

lunavix Thu 27-Jan-05 20:14:57

I think he should tell his teacher that that was a daft, and rather poorly worded, topic for a 12 year old to discuss!

morningpaper Thu 27-Jan-05 20:15:32

Luna you are too right there!

Goldfish Thu 27-Jan-05 20:16:08

Blimey , I hope my 11yr old doesn't get homework like this next year. I would have thought it meant something like do some people think that alcohol is a sort of dependent substance or can you just use it socially. Like some people only smoke when they go out and some rely on it to get them through the day. Do you think it is ok to drink every day or if you need to wind down with a drink is that acceptable. I just asked ds1 in yr 6 what he thought and he said I dunno. He just said he is doing alcohol abuse in PSHE. Help, this essay could be coming our way.

kernowcat Thu 27-Jan-05 20:21:47

Glad you found some helpful suggetions, I hope we don't get that one soon!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 20:22:00

I do agree luna but he's in the type of school where you do not question your teacher like that.

And DS thinks that mumsnet is a wonderful resource because he's had lots of homework help here. DH thinks it's brilliant because he doesn't have to help so much. And I think it's wonderful because it means that DH doesn't have to help (hinder) lol

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 21:01:07

Many thanks netters. Homework complete 506 words. Some direct quotes a la mumsnet. Very happy boy. Extremely happy mum. Just maths to finish and then he's off to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now