Talk

Advanced search

Hammersmith and Fulham Primary Schools

(24 Posts)
monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 11:05:47

This is a long-shot but does anyone know what Wendell Park and St Stephen's are like? The Ofsted reports are a bit out of date and I keep hearing conflicting things about them. Any other (non-religious) good ones apart from the sainted John Betts, Brackenbury and Greenside??

Azure Thu 20-Jan-05 11:22:11

Hi Monkeygirl - Wendell Park is not far away from me, but I don't know much about it. DS is due to start Reception this September so we have been looking at various school options, although have accepted a place at a private school for the time being. TBH I was put off by the Ofsted report for Wendell and decided not to go around, which I know may be shortsighted. Quite a few kids down our road go to St Peter's in Hammersmith, which is a C&E school. We visited the school last year and had a generally good impression, although preferred Belmont school in Chiswick (the application form goes in this week for Belmont). We've also applied to John Betts, but haven't even been able to go around it. Not much help, I'm afraid, but I'll be interested to read any other feedback you get.

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 11:32:02

Yes I was put off by Wendell's Ofsted report as well! But they have a relatively new Head so just wondered if it had improved alot over the last year or so.

I hadn't even considered applying for a school outside the borough cos I know for the good ones here you virtually have to be living in the playground (especially John Betts. I know several people whose kids go there and it is a v good and v popular school) - I will go and do some research on Belmont anyway - thanks!

Azure Thu 20-Jan-05 11:46:52

Annoyingly we are two streets away from the catchment area for Belmont and apparently it is normal for all children in the catchment area who apply to get in. Why didn't I look into this when we moved last year??

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 14:30:30

They should provide new parents with a book of 'Things that will not occur to you until it's too late' book, defo...

Apparently the state secondary schools are even worse in the borough, gulp...

sinclair Thu 20-Jan-05 15:02:49

Hi Monkeygirl we must be neighbours!! We are lucky enough to live v close to Greenside and one term in we can't speak highly enough. Depending on how far north of Goldhawk you are, John B may be a longshot as it is soooo over subscribed. Brackenbury is very popular and as a 2 stream entry does seem to cover a wider catchment. But to answer your question, I know a family at St S who are very happy, and on W Park, the word is it is turning the corner. Ask around tho - lurk in Wendell Park at chucking out time to get the true picture!

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 21:22:12

Sinclair, must admit that I am secretly hoping for Greenside and, although we are pretty near, cos it's so popular, if there's a lot of siblings again we have minimal chance. Yes no chance with John Betts. And I had heard that things were changing at Wendell Park but even so.....thanks for the info anyway.

Anyone else??

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 21:26:18

Message withdrawn

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 21:28:03

Message withdrawn

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 21:28:42

Ah - sadly am in the scummier end of the borough .

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 21:32:56

Message withdrawn

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 21:37:54

Lockets are you a teacher in the borough??

Would not be happy if we got Wormholt I'm afraid. Also, being a Godless family we are mostly excluded from a lot of the schools unless there are any places left after everyone else has had their pick...

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 21:41:59

Message withdrawn

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 21:51:26

I actually met someone who started work at Wormholt today and couldn't praise the teachers, and Head especially, enough, but yes, as much as I hate to say such things about children so young, but it does have lots of them with 'issues' and problems. DD is very sensitive soul so would like quite a gentle school for her if possible (without wanting to wrap her in cotton wool). I only really have a chance I think at Greenside, which sounds ideal, Brackenbury at a push (cos of its double intake), Wendell Park maybe and St Stephens as they do have non-denominational kids there. Might also apply for Addison, even though am not really near but some people in the street do go and maybe Lena Gardens??

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 21:55:40

Message withdrawn

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 22:00:06

Well it's good that someone at the 'coalface' (even if it was your former life!) thinks that - didn't realise how stressful this whole school applying lark could be.

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 22:05:06

Message withdrawn

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 22:12:11

That's a bugger. Swings and roundabouts though I guess cos house prices here are ridiculous, even in the Bush. Sadly we can't afford a house here but where we live is very handy for dh's work...

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 22:13:22

Sorry, does that sound really shallow. What I meant was that we live in a shoebox with 2 kids, although I know we are luckier than alot of people!

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 22:15:43

Message withdrawn

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 22:18:14

Very handy for the Beeb . Dh can do bed to desk in less than 15 mins and so is able to look after dd1 in emergencies or come home for lunch occasionally.

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 22:22:57

Message withdrawn

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 22:58:46

Yes he works in tv centre - will stay until he's kicked out but his job is relocating to central london in about 2 years - wanna buy a flat? . Next time I'm up that way will have to look out for the post-prod place...definitely more fun working in W12 if you live here, otherwise no other point in coming. Well until the shopping mall is finished, whenever that is...

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 23:01:17

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now