Talk

Advanced search

Need good state schools but only have around 200k to spend on a house. Where should I go?

(70 Posts)
SparklePrincess Wed 28-May-08 16:03:12

I currently live near the East Sussex & Kent border. If I stay where I am the dc will have the choice of several quite good state schools. Heathfield CC, Uckfield CC & Uplands in Wadhurst.

Problem is my marriage is over & I only stand to get around 200k to buy a house for the dc & myself. If I stay in this area that will be quite difficult to do without resorting to some awful rough estate, which im not prepared to do. Also, because were out in the sticks theres no public transport, so petrol costs are huge, (especially now) & my car`s a gas guzzler at the best of times. I wonder whether it might be sensible to move to a bigger town with better public transport.

My parents live in Hastings, & I know I could get a great house there for 200k, but the schools are diabolical. Eastbourne seems only marginally better. Ideally id like to rule out that whole locality & start afresh somewhere completely new to me, but I simply dont know where to start when it comes to schools, quality of life, transport links, employment possibilities etc etc.

Id consider almost anywhere within a reasonable (probably 2 hours or so) traveling distance of my parents house in Hastings.

Advice gratefully received. smile

twinsetandpearls Wed 28-May-08 16:11:34

We only have about 200K and want a good state school. We are going to the Poole area. Will check how close to Dorset you get in two hours.

twinsetandpearls Wed 28-May-08 16:12:57

Poole is 2 and a half hours from Hastings.

brimfull Wed 28-May-08 16:13:04

there's a good school in Battle near Hastings -is that too £££ ?

twinsetandpearls Wed 28-May-08 16:14:59

3 around your price range in Battle

brimfull Wed 28-May-08 16:17:48

my friend lives in Battle and says the senior school is great
here

MrsRecycle Wed 28-May-08 16:18:53

East Grinstead?

SparklePrincess Wed 28-May-08 16:25:31

I love Poole. Are the schools there really good? What about Bournemouth,whats that like?

Battle would be an ideal choice & has a fab comp, but buying a house in a decent location would be a struggle. The stuff on Rightmove in my range is either tiny or on a dodgy estate. Im not a snob, but ive never lived on a council estate, & were coming from a relatively large house in a lovely location, theres only so low im prepared to go for the dc`s sakes. Havent completely given up hope with Battle. If I thought I could get the dc into Claverham by buying on the outskirts of St Leonards id try, but its a huge gamble.

SparklePrincess Wed 28-May-08 16:26:57

East Grinstead is probably a bit out of my price range.

I love Claverham ggirl.

twinsetandpearls Wed 28-May-08 16:37:42

I have a thread going about Poole, property and schools, should be in active convos now.

SparklePrincess Wed 28-May-08 16:42:08

What section is it on? I cant seem to find it.

twinsetandpearls Wed 28-May-08 16:43:02

here

Piffle Wed 28-May-08 16:45:45

sth lincs not close enough but bloody fabulous schools here nice area and cheap houses you'd get 4 bed new ish house walkaboe to school rail shops for under 200k infact well under.

SparklePrincess Wed 28-May-08 16:53:19

Just reading your thread tsap.

Thanks Piffle.

UnquietDad Wed 28-May-08 17:09:36

"Only" 200K?

Welcome to Normal Person World...

(Bit harsh, I know, as you've just been through a divorce and all that, but it's quite salutary to think that this, or less, is all that most people have to spend on a house in normal circumstances. Avoiding the "ghastly estate" wouldn't be an option for them...)

hullygully Wed 28-May-08 17:12:42

no chance Claverham unless in catchment area.

schneebly Wed 28-May-08 17:18:44

You would get something nice for that price around here and there are several excellent schools. We are in the North West though which is a bit further than 2 hours!

SparklePrincess Wed 28-May-08 17:21:55

Thanks UnquietDad. Just what I need, another man sticking the knife in.

schneebly Wed 28-May-08 17:22:42

this

under budget, views of coutryside but on edge of town and the local school is 'outstanding' according to ofsted!

schneebly Wed 28-May-08 17:23:02

but oop north

UnquietDad Wed 28-May-08 17:27:21

I wasn't sticking the knife in, just pointing out that it's an average budget.

Nighbynight Wed 28-May-08 17:30:46

I am also divorced and my budget would be around 150K. Not a snowball's chance in hell. Agree, you are lucky if you have 200K. From my recent research, you should be able to get near a decent school.

SparklePrincess Wed 28-May-08 17:31:57

I could buy a really nice house in some places for 200k, but I cant sacrifice my dc`s education for the sake of a nice house.

UnquietDad Wed 28-May-08 17:32:25

It's obvious you are going to have to compromise on something - house or area?

Nighbynight Wed 28-May-08 17:32:47

no, I am sure she can get the combination of decent house/school and jobs with 200K.
I would be looking in dorset.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now