Talk

Advanced search

hackney primary schools

(21 Posts)
salinger Thu 13-Jan-05 19:20:52

hello to all hackney parents.
i am keen to stay in hackney with my children because i like it and i think it is a fun place for kids! But i am tired of friends from other parts of london telling me i should move because of the bad primary schools. We don't live close to Lauriston school, our nearest are probably orchard and morningside - are they as dreadful at the league tables seem to indicate? It would be great if anybody could enlighten me.

salinger Sat 15-Jan-05 18:44:48

Hello me again. are there any mn hackney mums with general info about hackney primary schools, not necessarily the ones i have mentioned.

hoxtonchick Sat 15-Jan-05 18:48:45

we live in hackney too. ds is 3 & he will be going to school locally. we live west of london fields & the 2 schools we're interested in are queensbridge & gayhurst. gayhurst in particular has a good reputation, but i'm not sure we're close enough. ds is going to stay at his sure start nursery 'til he starts reception, so i haven't actually started looking at schools yet - must get round to it soon.

i met someone who teaches at morningside today. she described it as challenging. but i should think that's true for most hackney schools.

keep bumping this thread, there are definitely other hackney mumsnetters whose children are already at school (frogs, dinosaur & kid spring immediately to mind).

DecafArabica Sat 15-Jan-05 23:59:37

Salinger, do you want to stay in the same area of Hackney? I know a little bit about schools in Stoke Newington but the info won't be much use if you aren't planning a move.
I love living in Hackney too, we've got the best parks in London!

hoxtonchick Sun 16-Jan-05 01:32:19

oh sorry arabica. i knew i shouldn't start naming people as i'd be bound to miss someomone out . how are you feeling?

kid Sun 16-Jan-05 09:25:30

Message withdrawn

DecafArabica Sun 16-Jan-05 11:04:38

Hi Hoxtonchic. Am fine if a bit tired and bloated! Let me know when you fancy an outing to the Museum of Childhood/Geoffrye Museum

salinger Sun 16-Jan-05 13:18:19

Thank you very much - this is all very interesting.
DecafArabica: i would love to have info about schools in stoke newington.. Also does anyone know anything about orchard school?

DecafArabica Sun 16-Jan-05 23:52:46

I went to see William Patten and Betty Layward (both community primary schools) and was impressed with the atmosphere and kids in both of them. Also my husband's done a little bit of teaching at Grazebrook and he thought they were good too.
Hoxtonchic, are you still a member of the gym, cos I am about to rejoin.

hoxtonchick Mon 17-Jan-05 09:09:22

hi arabica - yeah, i am still a member of the gym. took ds swimming yesterday actually. most i've done since i've been pregnant.... definitely up for a museum trip. i've got your number, i'll text you.

salinger Mon 17-Jan-05 22:26:16

thanks arabica, great stuff. Thanks very much.

Doddle Wed 19-Jan-05 17:09:23

Hi, just seen this, i'm a Hackney parent, Hackney teacher and Hackney school governor!! Most Hackney Primary schools are very good or improving, there are some that need avoiding however! My ds1 is in Y1 at Millfields Community School, this is a large thriving school that we really love, great atmosphere, happy children, Dinosaur's DS1 is there too.

Hackney has poor SATs results(not that they matter!) generally, but children who are motivated, remain in the same school from reception to Y6 and have supportive parents tend to do well. Millfields have bent over backwards to accommodate ds1 and his rather strange needs.

I don't want to post where i teach and govern as the combination makes me too identifiable, and it wouldn't be very professional, but if anyone wants to CAT me I'm happy to answer anything I can about Hackney Schools.

salinger Thu 20-Jan-05 10:49:29

hi doddle, i have contacted you through CAT. Thanks, Laura

bundle Thu 20-Jan-05 10:54:14

hackney and islington were both among the most improved lot of LEAs in a recent list...we live in Hackney (by just one street) but dd1 has just started at St Joan of Arc because I'm Catholic and it's much nearer than any of the Hackney schools.

hoxtonchick Thu 20-Jan-05 10:55:12

hello bundle! how is dd1 doing at school? would love to see you & catch up soon. xxx

bundle Thu 20-Jan-05 10:57:39

only got back into work this week, had to use up my leave which was good because it coincided with dd1's school start. she's fine, a bit tearful when i leave her but the teacher says she quickly gets on with things and is trying v hard eg with writing letters. would love to see you too but have promised myself i won't leave the office for fun until i've done my expenses! but i'm at home mondays and fridays with just dd2, so maybe we could do the museum??x

catgirl Thu 20-Jan-05 11:16:21

hi - I live in Hackney too, although my ds is not at school yet (next year!). our closest is St Dominics, which is OK as we are catholic, but we are also close to Wentworth nursery - which is meant to be great. I have looked at Orchard's ofsed report and it seems ok to me - have you read the reports rather than looked at the league tables? Take no notice of your nay-saying friends, everyone I know has bad opinions of schools wherever they live (unless it is Richmond )

frogs Thu 20-Jan-05 11:36:26

Have only just seen this. My older two are in a Hackney primary school, and agree it can be fine -- depends on the school and on the other kids/parents. It also depends on the makeup of any particular year group, and you can't predict that until your child is actually there. I think any school needs a critical mass of supportive families who value education and expect their children to do well. Some Hackney schools have this, and some don't. It matters not just to the actual teaching your child receives, but to his/her wider experience of school as well -- having friends home to tea, playing in the playground etc.

As well as reading the Ofsted reports and listening to local gossip (both taken with a large dose of salt!) it can be quite enlightening to hang around outside the gates at home-time, to give you a feel for what's going on. Make appointments to visit the schools -- visit several, even ones you think you might not get into or want to go to, as it's the differences that are interesting, and you need to see a few to get a feel for it. As a last resort, it's worth remembering that even very oversubscribed schools get places further up, if you're prepared to move a child other than at the start of nursery/reception. Since dd1 started at her school we've been offered places at all the most sought-after Islington schools, most of which are well out of our area.

But don't get me started on secondary school options...

Charliepw Thu 27-Jan-05 22:10:09

Hello all you ladies
This is a message to DecafArabica really because i would love all your info on schools in Stoke Newington.
I live in Stoke Newington although my postcode is officially E5 Clapton but maybe your info would be suitable to me.

I hope you see this message.
Charlie

Doddle Sun 30-Jan-05 14:31:56

Charliepw, I live and teach in Clapton E5, CAT me, and i'll answer any questions you have.

DecafArabica Mon 31-Jan-05 12:30:37

Hi Charliepw, CAT me if you want more info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now