Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone here prepared to say that they believe in anthroposophy?

(144 Posts)
Greensleeves Wed 23-Apr-08 13:12:00

There's been so much conjecture about it/testimony from parents etc who had negative experiences of Waldorf education, or who say that they weren't aware of anthroposophy/the esoteric spiritual side of Steiner.

What I haven't seen (apologies if I missed it!) is someone come on and say "yes, I am an anthroposophist, come and ask me questions and I will clarify how it works"

Anyone? I would be really, really, interested.

northernrefugee39 Fri 29-May-09 10:06:46

Message withdrawn

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 29-May-09 10:07:08

Please please read justine's post from 18th may 2009 and the link she has posted too
here

If you want to dicuss S t e i n e r do it somewhere else, set up your own website, make it easily googlable, take the risk upon yourselves

thank you

LovelyHorse Fri 29-May-09 10:15:04

BoysAreLikeDogs, I thought the latest was the server needed attention rather than it being hackers?

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 29-May-09 10:17:10

read Justines's post, I am not referring to the other posts, and the link in that post, the other stuff on that thread is bit of a red herring.

LovelyHorse Fri 29-May-09 11:16:18

Message withdrawn

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-May-09 20:05:21

Lovelyhorse we came under fire in a number of ways in the last month - hackers, trolls and in addition had some server issues. None of which was pleasant. We can't be sure what the motivation for the attack was or how we attracted this particular group's attention but we think this subject might have had something to do with it.

We've explained fairly clearly, I think, what our position is re discussion of this topic but as always we will try to allow as much freedom of speech as we can so long as the MN overall doesn't suffer.

northernrefugee39 Sat 30-May-09 15:13:57

Why were my posts deleted?
What on earth did they have in them that warranted that?
They had name of some historical authors.
This is a total farce.

Justine, what exactly is it which makes you link some mothers talking about their experiences of Steiner to hackers?
There's something very strange afoot for sure.

I agree too with lovelyhorse that before people who are probably not mothers appeared, things were a great deal more...informative.

MANATEEequineOHARA Sat 30-May-09 15:23:26

Hmm, I thought this explained the site problems, and seemed to suggest that it was nothing to do with anything linked to talk about Steiner/Anthros etc?

The whole situation is bizarre.

MANATEEequineOHARA Sat 30-May-09 15:24:30

Meant to link to the first page not the 4th!

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Jun-09 23:37:38

There was more than one reason for site problems last month MANATEEequineOHARA.

I can only repeat: we came under fire in a number of ways in the last month - hackers, trolls and in addition had some server issues.

You're right it was bizarre!

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Jun-09 23:48:19

Nb YetMoreTech was (I assume) trying a diversionary tactic in order to diffuse our attackers. Hence the slight economy with the truth...

nlondondad Tue 02-Jun-09 16:03:21

Its a real pity this thread has provoked such difficulty for Mumsnet as I thought it a better, and more balanced discussion than many I have seen. It did not have too much tedious confrontational stuff.

But I think we really do have to accept the judgement of Justine and co as to what can be done on this site.

I believe firmly in robust and free debate, I am hugely influenced by J S Mill "On Liberty". But I think we are all guests here and must respect our hosts views.....

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Jun-09 21:55:33

nlondondad, I barely scratched the surface of the prescribed reading list at Uni but JS Mill's On Liberty and Utilitarianism were, let's just say, seminal texts for me (probably accounting for around 50% of my entire primary source consumption during my 3 years).

MyLovelyHorse Wed 03-Jun-09 22:14:07

Interesting article on Anthroposophical doctors that's just been posted on my other favourite website Butterflies and Wheels.

Justine, is this ok as long as we don't link?

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Jun-09 22:35:02

Should think so.

clareVoyante Thu 04-Jun-09 11:48:51

so Justine- Mills idea that we can never be sure that there isn't an element of truth in those who are silenced has a satisfying smack of logic to it then......wink

Thanks for the link to Butterflies and Wheels MyLovely

KF78 Wed 07-Jul-10 10:03:06

Anthroposophy is not a belief system, it is a spiritual practice and a series of insights derived from that practice, one of which is that the dogmatic adherence to anything, including Anthroposophy, is unhelpful and not advisable.

So, while there are people who 'believe in' Anthroposophy rather than studying or practicing it, this would be considered unfortunate and misguided by most Anthroposophists.

restlessnative Mon 30-Aug-10 23:51:34

KF78: I thought it was a philosophy. You guys always say it's a philosophy - what happened?

The British Humanist Association recently for the first time listed Steiner schools amongst the faith schools it's concerned about re Gove's Free School funding proposals.

Positive stories re Steiner Waldorf schools in the UK press have stopped, pressure from critical groups had intensified - in Australia, New Zealand, Norway (where a book by an ex-Steiner Waldorf teacher called 'What they do not tell us' has caused a scandal) Sweden, the US, Denmark, Germany ... and here in the UK.

'Spiritual practices' are the business of the adults concerned. When these self-described spiritual practices are played out to the detriment of children and vulnerable adults, it becomes a matter of public concern.

They have been. It is.

NoToFascismThisIsAnySchool Sun 19-Jan-14 09:24:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »