Talk

Advanced search

Homework help please Roman Goddess Adeona

(21 Posts)
maddiemo Wed 05-Jan-05 17:23:10

Ds1 has to find out about Roman Goddess Adeona by Friday.

All he can find is that she guides children back to their house the first time they leave.

Any experts out there with any further info about her.

Thank you

aloha Wed 05-Jan-05 17:52:16

Have you googled her?

LunarSea Wed 05-Jan-05 18:02:30

from http://home.tiscali.be/mauk.haemers/collegium_religionis/deities.htm : "Adeona: Italic Goddess of journeys, She is a protrectress of travelers. In Rome She became an indigimentum of Juno that guided children in their first steps."

From http://homepage.mac.com/dykow/libpagan/a.html : "Adeona (Roman) Goddess of arrival. She had no temples, but people offered oaths in her honour to ensure a safe arrival."

There's a bit here describing her as "ignoble"

The name comes from the latin adeo, "I approach"

maddiemo Wed 05-Jan-05 19:22:15

Thank you.
Ds1 found he could not access most of the sites as the parental control would not allow it.

Have had a look with him but not been able to find much of the info the teacher has asked for. Think he will have to ask teacher for a few pointers.

LunarSea Wed 05-Jan-05 19:41:47

What particular info has he been asked for?

maddiemo Thu 06-Jan-05 09:14:21

Lunarsea He has gone to school with his homework folder.

I will post the questions after school today, thanks for asking.

maddiemo Thu 06-Jan-05 16:53:09

The questions are

The appearance of Adeona?

Super powers?

Weakness?

Family?

Sphere of influence?

Magical items?

Friends?

Foes?

What stories feature Adeona?

Any help welcome.

twiglett Thu 06-Jan-05 17:01:14

jeez I looked for you .. but she is such an insignificant goddess i couldn't find much more than you have

do they have a reference book?

Marina Thu 06-Jan-05 17:02:56

She is obscure, Maddiemo, that teacher has sadistic tendencies. I did Latin O Level and have never heard of her until now. "Super powers" is rather 21st century

maddiemo Thu 06-Jan-05 17:14:16

Thanks for looking. Son looked at school today but could not find any info. May not have looked in the right place though

Homework has to be in tomorrow. No chance of getting to local library as I go to work at 6 and ds3 is sick.

The homework was only set Wednesday, I think he needs a weekend to find more info.

Hopefully teacher is aware of obscurity.

Super Powers is all very Pokemon.

twiglett Thu 06-Jan-05 17:24:01

I think maybe he should make it up .. after all if we can't find anything then neither can teacher

Shall I start

Roman Goddess Adeona, a fairly insignificant Roman Goddess closely linked to Abeona; Abeona guides a child while leaving a room or condition, and Adeona performs the same office for children entering or beginning.

Here is where flight of fancy starts
All he can find is that she guides children back to their house the first time they leave.

The appearance of Adeona? She is small and grey haired and looks fairly insignificant in her blue pinafore and curlers

Super powers? The magic knitting needle of doom .. and the pointy finger

Weakness? Kicking her in the shins can stop her in her tracks

Family? No no family, that's why she's so into finding other peoples' children and returning them home

Sphere of influence? The street to the front door

Magical items? Rolling pin

Friends?

Foes?

What stories feature Adeona?

Marina Thu 06-Jan-05 17:26:14

[snurk] Twiggy but I resent any implication that knitting needles are doom-laden.
Lurve the ab/ad pun, you Classicist you.

GeorginaA Thu 06-Jan-05 17:29:55

Anyone had any luck finding out what the Greek equivalent is? You usually find more information on Greek Gods & Goddesses I've found...

GeorginaA Thu 06-Jan-05 17:30:58

Oooo... there's an asteroid named after her, apparently. 145 Adeona.

GeorginaA Thu 06-Jan-05 17:31:47

"145 Adeona is a rather large Main belt asteroid. Its surface is very dark, and composition likely of primitive carbonates.

The Adeona family of asteroids is named after it.

It was discovered by C. H. F. Peters on June 3, 1875 and named after Adeona, a protector of children in Roman mythology.

Adeona has been seen occulting a star once (July 9, 2002)."

GeorginaA Thu 06-Jan-05 17:32:05

You could say that's a story featuring her

Marina Thu 06-Jan-05 17:41:21

OK, Maddiemo, as a librarian I regularly intone to bored students that sometimes Google is not the answer, real books can help, and this time I think I'm right.
I have just checked the Blackwell's Dictionary of Classical Mythology for you and Adeona (and indeed Abeona) don't even merit their own entries in this fat, comprehensive tome. I am referred to a section Indigetes and here is the text of that entry:

"An extremely numerous type of deity at Rome. They comprised those whose function was limited to the performance of a specific act and did not normally exist apart from this act. Thus, among them were powers which accompanied the human being from birth (and even from conception) until death. There was the goddess who taught children how to walk, Abeona, who directed a child's first steps away from its parents' home; Adeona who led it back home; and Potina, who made it drink..."

The article goes on to say that some of these deities became more significant under the influence of Greek mythology, such as Flora and Proserpina. But really, most of them are very obscure, and I think your ds' teacher is on a hiding to nothing if she thinks the kids are going to find out anything about "stories", "weaknesses" etc. The teacher may have chosen her because she is also generally described as the goddess of schoolchildren?
HTH

GeorginaA Thu 06-Jan-05 17:41:30

Also found a brief mention:

The Greek and Roman gods and goddesses were men and women larger than life. They fought, they schemed, they lied, they got drunk, they raped, and they committed incest. The Romans worshiped twelve major gods and goddesses and thousands of lesser gods, which had arisen from the animism of early Rome. There were gods for war, fertility, love, harvest, travel, doors, ad infinitum. Each god and goddess had his or her own sphere of influence, his or her department; and the devout Roman did not worship one god to the exclusion of others, but worshiped all as circumstances demanded. A succession of spirits “watched over each period of a man’s life from birth to death. Juno Lucina, Candelifera, and the Carmentes aided at birth. It was Vagitanus only who could inspire the first cry. Cunina guarded the infant in its cradle, giving place to Cuba when the small Roman attained the distinction of a bed. By Rumina he was taught to take his mother’s milk; Edusa and Potina watched over him in the days on his weaning. Fabulinus taught him to talk; Statilinus to stand; Abeona and Adeona attended him in his first ventures from the house;…Catius sharpened his wits; Sentia deepened his feeling; while Volumna stiffened his will…. Viduus parted body and soul.”4 Prayers and pilgrimages to shrines and temples were a common part of life in the ancient world. Features of Roman religion included not only astrology, but also witchcraft and ghosts; divination by dreams, by birds, and by entrails; magic, spells and hexes; heroes, gods, and goddesses; holy water, holy tombs, holy relics, holy cities, holy shrines, and holy days; visions, signs, and incantations; animal and human sacrifices; miracles of healing, of nature, and of destruction; rituals, processions, statues, and frescoes; incubation, curses, and worship of the dead; worship of Diana, Queen of Heaven; mendicant priests, monks, and asceticism; incense, bells, and choirs, ad infinitum. Roman society was very religious, and that religion did not end until the Christian Reformation of the sixteenth century.

twiglett Thu 06-Jan-05 18:06:54

how old is DS BTW?

aloha Thu 06-Jan-05 18:09:53

Silly homework! I wonder if the teacher did any study herself before setting it. Hmm.

maddiemo Thu 06-Jan-05 18:16:34

Thanks for info erverbody. I am just dashing off to work. Will read it all when I return.

ds is 11.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now