Talk

Advanced search

I have Alevels & an NVQ in Early years childcare & education, What would I need to do to be a teacher?

(35 Posts)
KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 21:32:55

Very speculative atm

But it's something I am considering

TIA

lyrasdaemon Fri 28-Mar-08 22:04:44

As far as I know, you would need a degree (preferably in a subject linked to the national curriculum) followed by a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education). You would also need GCSEs in english, maths and science at grade C or above.

More information can be found here

southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-08 22:06:06

what about your nursery

Heated Fri 28-Mar-08 22:08:32

Or a BEd, if thinking primary.

You can do a traditional degree at uni or OU.

Do you have a subject in mind?

KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 22:10:10

Maths ? Science?

SEA - look heresad

So I am looking at 4yrs FT?

southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-08 22:15:48

blimey sorry about that katymac what a pita.

if you have a degree getting into teaching itsn't that hard afaik. there is support teaching i think thought not really sure what that entails.

KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 22:17:01

sad no degree

So lots of studying

southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-08 22:18:23

i don't have a degree either and wish i could go into teaching now too. but i can't take 7 years old to study, it's just not possible is it.

KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 22:20:31

I could study - I guess I'm not sure I want to

I do need a new direction tho'

KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 22:21:29

I'm trying to decide over here what to do?

southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-08 22:27:36

i feel a bit like you atm too. i'll hopefully get my nvq3 soon but struggle to know what to do with it in the long term.

i think i'd really miss working with children though. they're so much more civilised than adults grin

Heated Fri 28-Mar-08 22:28:18

Pretty much. You need a degree which is 3 yrs (or 4 yrs if doing a BEd) followed by a post grad year, usually a PGCE. However, given that Maths or Science are your possible subjects you would qualify for a golden handshake in your PGCE year or you could go the Graduate Trainee route after degree, which puts you in the classroom on about a 70% timetable and 15k-20k training wage.

Sorry to hear about your econursery plans. My dcs go to an amazing nursery on a farm. The nursery owner and farm owner have shared ownership. Don't suppose you can think of a landowner who'd like to diversify?

Is the CM career not for you then?

KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 22:30:38

I've kind of 'done it' it's getting stale - I won't stay this good if I don't do something else, the nursery filled a hole

But now what?

southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-08 22:33:47

have you local children's centres that could help you, they've got big budgets

Heated Fri 28-Mar-08 22:34:04

A franchise, like Tumbletots?

KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 22:37:19

SEA - yes they have for opening large nurseries in Children's centres - they are my main competition

Hmm Franchise

southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-08 22:38:38

why don't you join them?

KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 22:41:51

I don't think I would be very good at 'toeing the line' I'm too damn stubborn blush

southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-08 22:43:30

i work for the LA the funding they get is worth it. they need people who don't 'tow the line' that's how things change.

KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 22:44:55

Well the closest has recruited

I wonder about the 3 next closest

schneebly Fri 28-Mar-08 22:45:09

Katymac - some universities do a 3 year FT BA in primary teaching with QTS. That would knock a year off study time.

KatyMac Fri 28-Mar-08 22:49:00

Really

That sounds good

southeastastra Fri 28-Mar-08 22:50:24

as far as i understand the budget that has gone into childrens centres has been huge so i'd look into that. if you're independent they're not interested.

CaptainUnderpants Fri 28-Mar-08 22:52:35

Do a Foundation degree in Early years which can be done part time i.e one afternoon a week. But you must be working in an early years setting .

this is for two years - the you top it up to a full degree with another year.

You can then go on to do teacher quxlification but it will only allow you to teach at Foundation Stage.

schneebly Fri 28-Mar-08 22:52:40

something like this maybe? if you have mainly worked with younger kids

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: