Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you had an 8 year old DD who had dyspraxia and struggled with her writing.....

(7 Posts)
chocolateteapot Thu 27-Sep-07 08:04:14

.... would you be cross if you heard that she sometimes has to miss some of her play time/lunch time as she hadn't finished her work ?

She also has hypermobility and low muscle tone so it is much more of an effort for her to write than the other children. She has just said that the supply teacher they have a couple of times a week makes her stay with the other children who have been talking too much and they have to miss some of break time or lunch time.

I have PMT atm and know I get a bit stroppy at this time (understatement !) so thought I would check the MN jury before I wade in there all guns blazing ! Many thanks.

cocolepew Thu 27-Sep-07 08:11:09

I posted a thread like this a couple of weeks ago. I went in to complain about dd missing p.e., staying in at break and writing lines, because a small percentage of the class were noisy. Everyone agreed it was out of order. Does the school keep a medical record on her. I send one with my dd every year with updates etc. so all teachers understand her problems. Good luck

chocolateteapot Thu 27-Sep-07 08:19:24

Ah, I missed that thread cocolepew. They do have medical records and the teacher who is doing it has taught her a fair bit over the last few years so really should understand her problems. It's blatantly obviously she has a problem fgs, she has a writing board and triangular pens. I am REALLY cross.

I'll go in again then. Had better wait until next week when I will sound more rational again !

coppertop Thu 27-Sep-07 10:23:12

I would definitely complain. It's the equivalent of giving detention to a child with mobility problems just because they didn't run fast enough.

My 7yr-old needs similar help to your dd and I would be extremely annoyed (to put it mildly) if he was being made to stay in because of this. It sounds like a breakdown in communication. I would speak to the usual teacher or to the SENCO.

fizzbuzz Thu 27-Sep-07 20:34:41

OUTRAGEOUS!! I am a secondary school teacher, and when my ds was in primary school, he was often kept in to finish writing (he is dyslexic, with some fine motor problems), I asked the SENCO at our school what she thougt about it.

She was not impressed to put it mildly. I complained to the school, and it didn't happen again.

However Ds wa at a feeder for my primary, and I teach pupil as old as 17/18, who remember that teacher keeping them in, and they still feel bitter and twisted about it.

Definitely complain, it is like discrimination

mumeeee Mon 01-Oct-07 10:54:34

I should complain. My 15 year old has Dyspraxia and even now she does not have to do as much writing as her calssmates. She is allowed to write straight onto work shets rather than copy out question and answer into her bools.She also has permision to finish work at home if she wants to. Her school does not make her stay behind to finish work but she is allowed to go into the librairy or Drama room to finish work if she wants to.
When she was at primary school she was allowed to do less writng than the other children. For example she might have done half a page while the others did a page. Thare was also a classroom assitant in the classroom who would write for her if she neede then to.

RosaLuxembourg Mon 01-Oct-07 10:57:34

Yes, my 10-yr-old DD is dsypraxic and I would be outraged if she was penalised for it in this way. Speak to the class teacher in the first instance and get her to make it clear to the supply teacher what should be happening - if that doesn't work request a meeting with class teacher and SENCO to discuss the issue. Don't go in all guns blazing though, it is probably a communication breakdown between class teacher and supply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now