Talk

Advanced search

Montessori schools

(7 Posts)
3andnomore Sun 23-Sep-07 14:50:40

Hi there, my friend called me last night and wanted to find out more about these, and she thought I might know something about them...but I don't really....so
anyone know of any good websites, etc...

basically she is doing a college course, Nursery nurse kind, and she needs to prepare a presentation about the montessori way etc...
Thanks in advance!

Peachy Sun 23-Sep-07 16:06:55

Oooh I did this for my Access, I wa shoping is till ahd it on my system but don't- best palce to start with si to look for books by AMrio Montessori, I amy ahve an ancient one if she wants it, CAT me if she does- and go from there. She would need really to go to a Montessori school and phtotography some of the equipment etc as thats a big aprt of the set up.

Any q's do ask

3andnomore Sun 23-Sep-07 16:24:45

Peachy, there is a Montesoori school nearby her, and they aproached them, and they were very helpful about sending a DVD, etc...and I have searched some websites out for her, too...and I will ask her if she would like the book (don't have cat though, but if she wants it, I shall leave my E-mail addi on this thread...thanks ever so much!
Oh, and I will ask her if she has any specific questions...but tbh, I think at this point of time, she hasn't even got a vague idea what teh philosophy is...but hopefully the websites I gave her will help her wiht that.
Thank you for your help!

Peachy Sun 23-Sep-07 16:32:49

Do warn her that the old Montessori books were written dacades ago and are seriosuly non-PC. maria developed her stance to help kids with sn (she used many other names to describe them!), so they read as old as theya re.

Essentially though its about giving the child a set of boundaries and allowing them to guide their own development within them- often basic things such as having a toy on a mat to create a sense of boundary for where that child is based. there is also quite a naturalistic elements to the sceme- toysa re made of wood not plastics, and they are functional- button boards, shape sprters-a nd progressive in nature. there's also a multi sensory focus- writing one sname in sand etc as first writing, some of it is very progressive even today.

I did send my older 2 to a Montessori (ds3 woudl ahev gone hd we been still there) but it was a particualrly warm one with a loving lady running it. have heard it can be cold in the wrong ahands.

Do like the independence focus- quite small kids used to prepare meals etc for themselves, take responsibility for cleaning up etc- perhaps something mising from manys chools today.

3andnomore Sun 23-Sep-07 16:38:26

Peachy, you obvioulsy have first hand experience form the parents point of view, so, would it maybe be possible if she could talk to you, via E-mail forinstance....I think it would help her to understand even better then from books...if that makes sense...

Peachy Sun 23-Sep-07 16:40:15

No probs. my e-mail is peachesandcream04@btinternet.com

3andnomore Sun 23-Sep-07 16:42:38

Thanks ever so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now