Talk

Advanced search

Maybe it's because I'm used to a different system, but is it normal for 9 and 7 year olds to get os much homework?

(6 Posts)
saltire Tue 11-Sep-07 20:11:45

DS1 is in year 5. He has to read every night, but not books sent from school, just books from home or the library. One lot of reading a week has to be from a refence book and he must read for at least 20 minutes a night. Every ngiht he has to write in his reading jotter what the story was, the characters etc, like a book reveiw.
Monday night he also had to learn 10 spellings, and recite to us the 6x table and the 7x table.
Tonight he also had to learn another 10 words, another two x tables, plus of course his reading and book review.

DS2 is 7 and he has
Write 5 sentences about the school highlighting adjectives in eachs entence
Do the 2x table and the 3 xtable
Learn 10 words
Complete an activity sheet about the planets and do reading every night - same as above, book from home but without the review
All his has to be in by friday
I just feel this is a lot of homework, at their old school in Scotlandthey had maths sheets once a week, reading once a week and occasionally spelling,that was it, is this normal for the English education system

LadyTophamHatt Tue 11-Sep-07 20:13:23

NO, thats shit loads!

I absolutley loathe homework for primary school children

saltire Tue 11-Sep-07 20:18:19

I thought it was loads as well.
I don't agree with so much homework for primary school children either, they get enough when they get to secondary

Peachy Tue 11-Sep-07 20:18:56

ds1 has an activity sheet for this week (we are skipping it, its a fun quiz on films that are Age12 hmm),
10 minutes reading from a book he chose in the school library (amusingly James and the giant peach)
20 spellings
a ten times table to learn
a book review thing to do weekly, he just wrote hard but good

Its quite a lot, but otoh enough to get into a routine with, iyswim.

butterflymum Fri 21-Sep-07 12:51:10

In Northern Ireland.

Our 5yr old gets 2 words to write out 3 times each. Up to four words to visually recognise. Two sums. In addition, a written Maths or English homework (eg numbers worksheet). Also,About 4 - 6 pages of reading. All of this is for each night, ie Mon, Tues, Wed. Homework must be done for next morning. On Thurdays, homework is same except it also includes revisionin of all of the weeks written words & visual words. With the written words, he has to write all six again, 3 times each. He usually also reads all of story book.

Would take too long to post son 2 and 3's homework.

butterflymum Fri 21-Sep-07 12:52:57

Whoops, think I was all fingers and thumbs when typing my last post - excuse spelling mistakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now