Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

One for the Biology teacher, or those of you doing AS biology, or having dc's doing AS biology

(11 Posts)
Blandmum Thu 06-Sep-07 19:31:46

It is that time of year when we start the AS course. I don't know about anyone else but I always start off doing the cell biology

have a look at this

This a CGI animation of the inside of the cell done by a graphics company in colaboration with Harvard Uni.

It shows the unbeleavable level of complexity within each cell.

The download is long, but it is so worth it, as it is mindblowingly amazing

Some fantastic MNetter posted this last year, I've forgotten who, but who ever you are, thank you so much again.

I use it to really grab the little bugger's attention in the EM lesson!

Did you ever find/get hold of the ull version MB?

It was truely stunning. I took it to work and had 20 post grad/post docs stunned by it so I hope your A level students enjoy it

scienceteacher Thu 06-Sep-07 21:31:32

Excellent stuff! I hope you mentioned that it was physicists who developed this capability.

I had my first AS physics lesson today, and one of the things I mentioned was that we deal from imaginably small measurements to imaginary large ones

scienceteacher Thu 06-Sep-07 21:32:06

*imaginably large

Blandmum Thu 06-Sep-07 21:36:27

I did find it full one, but, like a fool, I have misplacced it.

TBH for the A level student this edited version was enough.

Scinceteacher, this stimulated a great discussion on what colour these things really are, and we ended up talking about electrons vs photons....so I did do a bit of physics with them smile

But MB...I am not an A level student and would like to see the full version..hmm...will have to google...

Blandmum Thu 06-Sep-07 21:46:34

here I think

Enjoy! grin

Thats still a truncated version isn't it?

Loved seeing it again though....love the kinesin/dynein walky bit....

Blandmum Fri 07-Sep-07 07:15:56

Thi k it is longer though, with the comentary....Iy sid it was a link to the full thing (I contacted the animators and they put me through to someone in Harvard)

Oooo cometray, I didn't have my speakers on...will watch again.

Full version is supposed to be 8mins and although I enjoyed it I didn't think I spent 8 mins watching

That wasn't the version, it still had no comentry...but a bit of googling seems to have found it.

here for future reference.

Will watch later when I am all alone and can appreciate all of its pure beauty smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now