Talk

Advanced search

RICHMOND primary schools - did everyone get a place after all?

(67 Posts)
Giuliettatoday Thu 06-Sep-07 09:51:25

Really just asking out of interest, as I had read in the newspapers and on mn that there was a severe shortage of state primary school places (-240), and lots of people ended up with no place at all or with a place at a school they didn't want for various reasons (distance, bottom of league tables, sibling at different school etc.).

Now that the term has started, I haven't heard anything any more but am really wondering how the problem was sorted, where everyone ended up, what came out of appeals and so on.

Caroline1852 Thu 06-Sep-07 09:55:22

Do you mean Richmond in North Yorkshire or Richmond-upon-Thames?

Giuliettatoday Thu 06-Sep-07 09:58:58

Sorry, I mean Richmond-upon-Thames.

slondonmum Fri 07-Sep-07 10:43:00

bump

fridayschild Fri 07-Sep-07 11:55:33

DS1 is at the second choice school, started yesterday. Last week this second choice school were saying they had 40 names for reception, it's ok this term because some are morning and some afternoon, but I don't know what will happen in January when they all go full time. This is not an over-subscribed school usually.

One of his friends started an appeal but magically got offered a place at the first choice school the day before his appeal date. The boy's mum is keeping quiet about the grounds of appeal, it is all a bit mysterious as this child had no relevant siblings or SN statement.

CountessDracula Fri 07-Sep-07 11:57:18

dd had 4 friends who didn't get any place at first

They all have places now, though not all in the school of their choice!

ladygrinningsoul Thu 13-Sep-07 21:47:17

I spoke to admissions a few days ago (about next year). They mentioned that quite a few children had got places at Trafalgar and Stanley just before term started.

amidaiwish Thu 13-Sep-07 22:25:02

oh i can't bear it
DD1 is due to start reception Sept 08
this is all looming isn't it?
she didn't get our choice of school nursery so have left her in daycare nursery for now...
feel the stress levels starting to simmer!

amidaiwish Fri 14-Sep-07 09:16:38

bump... any news?

decafskinnylatte - how are you getting on or did you go private?

ladygrinningsoul Fri 14-Sep-07 09:46:41

amida, admissions were talking about children near where I live. Trafalgar is just under a mile away and Stanley over a mile. It seems there was a lot of movement in the waiting lists just before term started - people moving house, maybe?

eleusis Fri 14-Sep-07 13:38:57

I only know one child who didn't get a place and he now has a place at his first choice (Orleans).

Amida, you know that AC has change their entrance criteria so that being in the nursery no longer gives you priority into reception? However, if you don't go to HT, you would pretty much need to live spitting distance from the school.

amidaiwish Fri 14-Sep-07 18:38:02

oh so it didn't all end as badly as it seemed last Easter!

St J's is still looking a nightmare to get into because of their quota system for St Margaret's / Hampton too... can only try!

eleusis Mon 17-Sep-07 10:01:05

But, if you put St. James down 1st and you don't get in that might reduce your chance of getting whatever the 2nd choice is because people who put it first might be taken before you (all other criteria being equal).

amidaiwish Mon 17-Sep-07 16:10:52

well i have heard that the schools don't get to see your order of preference hmm
am not convinced personally!

eleusis Mon 17-Sep-07 17:54:09

Yes, but I thought that the borough would send kids who put it down as first before a child who put the school down as second. This might not be true though.

On another subject, do you still go to Amida?

amidaiwish Tue 18-Sep-07 12:15:24

yes i do indeed go to Amida, sporadically blush
went yesterday am and my legs are on fire today...
when do you go?

eleusis Tue 18-Sep-07 13:17:24

I went last night, but I seem to have injured my ankle. And forgot to call GP this morning. I'm going to try again tomorrow night but I think I might end p on the bike. I am very annoyed about this. I like to run. I hate the bike. sad

And Sunday I'm going to my tennis lesson where I shall make a fool of myself on the court. Hope my ankle hold up.

ladygrinningsoul Tue 18-Sep-07 13:26:24

Do either of you go to any of the classes?

ladygrinningsoul Tue 18-Sep-07 13:27:11

(we've spoken before - I used to be susie40)

eleusis Tue 18-Sep-07 14:47:35

No, but I've been eyeing trying to work out which one I should go to. Running on the treadmill is bound to get a bit boring so I was thinking of joining a class. Do you go to any of them?

ladygrinningsoul Tue 18-Sep-07 19:09:02

I do Body Pump, Body Attack (Not a good one to start with!) and Total Conditioning (the Tuesday morning one).

amidaiwish Tue 18-Sep-07 19:29:30

i used to do body pump but find it quite hard to do properly so haven't done it for a while.

i wanted to do the beginners plus tennis course on tuesday evenings, but can't rely on dh to be home! I know i should just book a babysitter but it hasn't happened and now it's too late as it started tonight - next time!

I'm going to do a body balance class, must dig out the timetable. Have always fancied having a go at squash too, can you believe i've never tried it?

ladygrinningsoul Tue 18-Sep-07 22:11:00

Yes, I must go back to body balance as well...there is one on Monday nights but first we were on holiday and now we keep having stuff on Monday nights

eleusis Tue 18-Sep-07 22:15:46

AMida, come join the beginers plus on Sunday at 5:00. I just joined it. It won't matter that you missed the first class. There were only two of us there on Sunday. I expect more will show up next Sunday. Oh yes, squash looks fun. I have never played it, but have played raquetball (many many moons ago). They look very similar apart from the raquet.

I can't do morning for classes. I should look and see what is on Mon and Wed. nights 7:00 or later.

amidaiwish Wed 19-Sep-07 08:44:06

oooh, yes i might come this sunday at 5pm esp if there are only 2 of you. i haven't had a "rating" - but beginners plus i think is about me!

how flexible do you think the lessons are? 5pm on sunday is a difficult one as we often see parents for dinner sunday afternoon. if he would let me "make up" a class on a tuesday eve if i miss sunday then i would def do it... guess i need to call him (i have the number) and find out.

and Monday night body balance. right i am going to try and make that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: