Talk

Advanced search

For the teachers/ TAs/ Lab techs etc, how is the new school year going?

(24 Posts)
Blandmum Tue 04-Sep-07 08:45:08

How is this term settling down?

Thought we could have a thread to 'share' smile

HonorMatopoeia Tue 04-Sep-07 11:35:22

Mine started and finished within an hour blush
To clarify...was due to go off work in two weeks anyway because of maternity leave but arrived, went to staff meeting and then collapsed! Got stuck in ambulance, spent day in hospital and now maternity leave has started early!
Hope everyone elses term goes very well though!

Blandmum Tue 04-Sep-07 17:22:12

How awful Honor!

Are you feeling better now! Please take things as easy as you can.

My year 7 class was far too chatty for comfort, given that it was their first day, and some of them wouldn't shut up for long enough to find out what we were doing! shock

scienceteacher Tue 04-Sep-07 17:31:57

My timetable has changed dramatically in the last day. We start teaching on Thursday, and I still don't know my classes. Other than that....

Reallytired Thu 06-Sep-07 21:53:54

I have started a job at mld special school as an ICT technician. I'm shattered, I haven't stopped all day.

Reallytired Thu 06-Sep-07 21:55:04

I'm doing Approach Training tomorrow. The idea is to learn what to do if you are faced with a violent kid and restraint techniques. I'm begining to wonder what sort of job I have let myself in for!

HonorMatopoeia Thu 06-Sep-07 22:00:19

RT - I did that training, very useful to have under your belt, but agree, it does make you wonder what on earth you are doing even being in a situation where you may need to use it!
MB - I'm feeling much better now as able to go about life at my pace (well the pace of my toddler anyway!). Felt a bit dizzy again today but managed to control it.
Hope everyone settles to their new term soon smile

Lucycat Thu 06-Sep-07 22:02:34

First 'real' day tomorrow - straight in with Year 13 hmm then Year 11 - oh joy.

Had to endure an Inset day on Monday though - they've not got any more exciting in the 7 years that I've been away grin

sarahhal Thu 06-Sep-07 22:04:34

Very nice start to my term thanks MB - INSET on Monday, just Year 6 in on Tues, 7 & 8 on Weds then that was my week as I am now part time grin

Hope you are ok Honor.

Enjoy your new year everyone!

cat64 Thu 06-Sep-07 22:26:01

Message withdrawn

twinsetandpearls Thu 06-Sep-07 23:00:05

absolutely fantsastic. I am happier and more fulfilled in my teaching than I have ever been.

twinsetandpearls Thu 06-Sep-07 23:00:41

Oh no HOnor hope you are ok

Nymphadora Fri 07-Sep-07 10:18:38

INSET on Mon,I ended up with the job of doing a full years worth of evidence sheets for music hmm tues got to know our new class , nearly doubled in size from last year shock so a very full room.Then my group was made homeless in the afternoon and after changing rooms 3 times we ended up in th eplayground!
Weds is going to be the day that goes very slooooooowwwwwwwwly all year , off yesterday and today.

I am looking for supply work though and phoned a couple of schools yesterday and will try some more later.

chestnutty Sun 09-Sep-07 15:35:47

Thanks for includin the lab techs MB!
I'm onegrin
Year 10 are already blocking up sinks with the concrete they are making -They were told not to use the sinks btw.
Hope everyones elses term go okay.

Blandmum Sun 09-Sep-07 15:37:34

Ohh, know that feeling so well. Solids in the bin, liquids in the sink!

Cue picture of bunged up sink! grin

The paster of paris day was the worst!

BellaBear Sun 09-Sep-07 15:42:24

MY year 7s have been chatty as well! I'm obviously not scary enough.

On the plus side, I haven't shouted yet, and I've only met two objectionable students and TONS of lovely ones. SO that's good.

Haven't told any of my new students that I'm pregnant and will be leaving them at christmas, although I've told my form so it is bound to trickle down. And become more obvious anyway!

kid Sun 09-Sep-07 15:42:34

Inset on Monday and Tuesday. Classed behaved very well on Wedsnesday, Thursday and Friday. Only one punch up to deal with so all in all, a good week.
I hope the rest of the term is this easy grin

Blandmum Sun 09-Sep-07 15:44:35

I must say that most of my kids are totally fabbo.

One of two need some work! smile

TBH, even the 'norty' ones are quite nice smile

Whizzz Sun 09-Sep-07 16:06:58

So far - in a word - pants. I have been back a week & have only just got a timetable (still with holes in). Communication between our dept is worse than ever, boss is snapping at people, all the good stuff I did last term seems to have been forgotten & don't even mention cover.......shock

But apart from that, it's nice to see the kids again

HonorMatopoeia - hope you're feeling better

roisin Sun 09-Sep-07 17:39:31

Message withdrawn

scienceteacher Sun 09-Sep-07 18:05:00

So far so good for me. Most lessons start off with giving out new exercise books and recording text book numbers. Everyone looks really eager to get off to a good start.

nozjones Sun 09-Sep-07 19:42:16

So far much better than last year ( changed schools after 20 years - loss of major comfort zone!). This added to changing rooms,floors and occasionally blocks every lesson made it very hard. This week in my own room has been lovely, don't know what I will be saying just before P.5 Friday when I've done 23 lessons between frees- cover I'd like some time they could take during week 2!

Lucycat Sun 09-Sep-07 20:48:24

First day went well - my A level group are lovely if a little petrified of A2

year 11 tried to be a bit cool until I scared one boy who'd forgotten his pen - he felt my wrath grin

and even better that i don't work Mondays [grin

roisin Sun 09-Sep-07 22:17:39

Whoops! Try again.
I managed to include my RL in my post earlier, and had to get MN Towers to remove it blush

Anyway, yes term is going OK - quiet start, but I'm sure it will get a lot busier very soon.

But I'd still rather be on holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now