Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What practical things have you done to help with your child education?

(14 Posts)
dukester Mon 03-Sep-07 15:31:38

This could range from private tutors, learning a language etc...

chestnutty Mon 03-Sep-07 16:19:46

Dd had a tutor for English and go an A in her GSCE.
Also I work in a science department so bring home lots of resources - text books, past papers, crib notes from my school (dds go to a different school).
Buy lots of revision guides.
lots of encouragement, nagging, bribes and other support.

snorkle Mon 03-Sep-07 16:44:07

We have decided to go camping in France rather than Cornwall for the next few years to give them opportunity to practise their French.

fartmeistergeneral Mon 03-Sep-07 16:48:52

Schofield and Sims, Schofield and Sims, Schofield and Sims.

I love them!

Reallytired Mon 03-Sep-07 20:31:06

"Jolly phonics" to learn how to read.

"Write from the Start" to learn how to control a pencil before starting year 1.

However education is more than academic. My son has learnt how to ride a bike and his swimming has improved. Visiting interesting places and gaining knowledge about the world is also good.

Legacy Mon 03-Sep-07 20:44:44

- reading to them every day from about 6 months old
- always encouraged art/ drawing/ colouring/ puzzles etc (for writing/ pencil control)
- bought Jolly Phonics books/ DVD to support school teaching
- letters in the bath from early age
- became a parent helper at school so I could better understand what they were learning/ the curriculum/ teaching methods
- extra- curricular drama/ music/ sport
- took a positive interest in all homework assignments/ helped as appropriate
- weekly visits to the library
- encouraged and supported friendships with their classmates to help school be an enjoyable place

er....
- fed them nutritious food to keep them healthy and alert at school
- ensured they got enough sleep ????

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you mean though - isn't this just what 'good parenting is about'?

dukester Mon 03-Sep-07 23:39:23

This is all good stuff! Want to say more but dd3 has just woke up screaming.

ghosty Mon 03-Sep-07 23:50:01

I purposefully didn't teach my son anything before he started school. The emphasis in NZ is 'play, play and more play' ... I used to be a teacher and tbh I have met too many parents who have said to me, "What do you mean she is average, I taught her to read when she was 2!"
And ... I am lazy ... grin

He started school at 5 and is a bright boy, in the top group for everything etc etc ... so I don't think actively teaching him before school would have set him at any advantage ...

BUT ... what I do with him now ... he is nearly 8 ... is:

I instil in him the importance of doing his homework as soon as he receives it ...
I help him with projects that he needs to do - not do them for him, but teach him how to research stuff (use the internet and the library) ... I teach him how to take information and put it in his own words etc.
I make sure that all that kind of stuff gets at least started the day he gets given it ... My parents NEVER helped me with any homework or made me do it so as a result I was a 'last minute', 'stay up all night the day before it is due' type student and I hated it. I am convinced that had I had any kind of encouragement in that way as a child I would have been a much better student.

Legacy Tue 04-Sep-07 09:05:31

ghosty - that's really good advice about the teaching children 'how to' organise and approach their work.

DS is almost 8 and about to start getting more serious homework. However he is impulsive and tends to rush into things without thinking about them, and then changing his mind halfway through/ crossing out etc etc.
Over the summer he had to write a piece about his holiday and got very frustrated about 'not knowing what to write' so I showed him how to do a simple 'mind map' with all his ideas/ thoughts etc to organise it all before he started writing. He loved it, and I really hope it will make a difference in the future. I wish schools taught more in the way of organising and planning skills!

quickdrawmcgraw Tue 04-Sep-07 09:33:18

I do a lot of illustration for children's education so I often use my children as guinnea pigs which means they sometimes learn that way. For example I created some phonic letter magnets which are all over our house and I also wrote a book to introduce a second language into your house so they've been subjected to me twittering things in French and Irish at them. grin

also what Ghosty said... I HATED homework when I was younger and always left it to the last minute. I sit with dd to do hers as soon as she comes in from school and try to get her excited about working things out for herself and taking pride in what she hands in. I try and instill a good feeling in her once she's done it and is free to do what she likes for the rest of the afternoon.

Hurlyburly Tue 04-Sep-07 09:55:03

Nothing at all. Nada. My DCs go private and the amount of parental involvement they expect just makes me GROAN.

I tell my DCs that if they want to learn, it's up to them. They have a houseful of books FGS.

Under duress, the activities I have begrudgingly caved in to are:

- extra- curricular sport. This is a royal pain in the ass. My DCs are sporty. Three sports each. Logistical nightmare EVERY SINGLE DAY INCLUDING WEEKENDS.
- reading their books with them. Why can't they read them alone? Bah
- extra-curricular music (instrumental and choir). Why I have to listen to my children mangling Chopin, I do not know. I should be paid for this.
- try to teach them French. We go there for 4/5 weeks a year. I insist they order in restaurants and shops, ask directions, work out instructions and play with French children. Dunno why this is helpful though. I mean who apart from the French and previous French colonies speaks French?

fartmeistergeneral Wed 05-Sep-07 08:18:31

You sound like a wonderful mother.

Privilege coming out of your ears and still complaining about every little thing.

kslatts Wed 05-Sep-07 09:24:59

I listen to mine read every night and always encourage them to do their homework as soon as it is set.

My 2 dd's also do activities outside school, Brownies/Rainbows, irish dancing and swimming.

We try and arrange days out to help them understand what they are learning at school.

Hulababy Wed 05-Sep-07 09:33:25

I suppose most things I do with/for DD is heling her ins omeway with education isn't it?

Be it reading stories to/with her from an early age, holidaying in foreign countries to learn about other cultures, oney and language, to learning how to play independently whilst I do the cooking.

Yes, I do more specific purely educational stuff at times - help with homework, chose the school we felt best suited her,s upport school events, provide hr ith books, etc.

But I do think we all do loads to help our children's education without even realising it, surely? Impossible to list it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now