Talk

Advanced search

The BRIT School - Applications

(13 Posts)
sasquatch Sat 25-Aug-07 20:53:34

hi,
ds wants to apply for the Brit School in Croydon at the end of year 9 in dance strand. Does anyone have any experience of this? Or know anyone that does?

All replies appreciated, Thanks in advance.

peachygirl Sat 25-Aug-07 20:59:32

Try searching for booboobedoo and CAT her before she had her baby she used to work there.
I haven't seen her about much but I'm sure she will be able to help you

sasquatch Sat 25-Aug-07 21:11:35

Thankyou! err what is CAT? Dont mind sounding dim by the way.

peachygirl Sat 25-Aug-07 21:14:06

Contact Another Talker. You can email people through mumsnet
You have to pay £5 but it lasts a year.

She had her baby in march so you could put a message for her on the march 07 post natal thread

sasquatch Sat 25-Aug-07 21:15:32

Thnkyou peachygirl thanks again

serenity Sun 26-Aug-07 01:47:51

My friends DS1 is starting there next week (they start earlier than the other secondarys) If you have any specific questions I don't mind asking her for you. As far as I could see it's quite tough to get into - the child has to go through a lot of interviews/auditions and really show dedication and drive. There was something like 5,000+ applicants for 94 places this year.

sasquatch Sun 26-Aug-07 11:09:02

Thankyou serenity,

i know a few kids who got in this year, and have a prospectus. my query is that ds does a lot of dance and i think he should apply on dance, but he feels less creative in dance, i suppose he feels more inspired or confident in art/design , and he wants to apply in that strand, im trying to influence him to take dance as he has a good background/ cv/ has been working at it for years,and I think it is his best option to get in. Not to rubbish his art, as i think he is talented in both areas. It is so hard to choose....

serenity Sun 26-Aug-07 11:38:07

She's not around the next couple of days, but I'll have chat to her when she's back (never managed to get her into MN, been trying for ages) IIRC they were wrestling with that kind of decision too - not dance though. I think they also looked at what strands were more popular when they were deciding, more chance to get in if your applying for something that's slightly less oversubscribed! (Won't it be weird if we knew the same people going? grin)

sasquatch Mon 27-Aug-07 10:53:19

thanks serenity, that would be helpful.
I too think about less popular strands, but its ds who would have to present real enthusiasm at interview for dance and I dont know if he could do this genuinely if he felt he really wanted to do art.
We are in north london.

serenity Wed 29-Aug-07 10:56:16

Morning! Spoke to BF yesterday whilst letting the DCs run themselves ragged in the park.

Ok, firstly with the Dance. They do look for creativity, but that doesn't necessarily rule your DS out, it means he would have to be quite lucky with whoever he auditions with. If he's auditioning with a load of people who are good and creative then he's going to get lost, if he's with people more like him then he could be OK......but then he could find he on a strand where he's struggling to fulfill what they expect from the students. I personaly have no idea what being creative in dance is, (BF seemed to though) so I'm just passing on what she's said here smile With her DS, he wanted to take the Musical theatre strand, but although he's great at the acting and singing side, he's not so hot on the dance (and all three are essential) so they decided against it because it was better to get in on another strand than not get in at all.

With the art/design strand, she said so long as he's got a portfolio of work, and you can get a teacher to give him a good reference he should be fine applying for that strand. She pointed out that doing that strand wouldn't stop him pursuing dance either, as you can take it as an extra class.

Also, although I think the School would deny it, the saturday school acts as a 'feeder' Apparently they are doing Art and Design from this September. If you can get him on this (difficult I know as you're in N London) you'll then be in a position to get a reference from a Brit School Teacher for the application........

HTH, apologies for crapness of typing, I'm just trying to get it down before I forget it all. smile

sasquatch Wed 29-Aug-07 19:36:07

serenity,
Please thank your friend for me.And thanks to you for your help. What a relief for them to have chosen the right strand. Ds cant do saturdays as he always dances on sats.
If I new the background of the other typical applicants I would feel more confident.I think he is creative, but he lacks confidence. He has done loads of classical ballet up to now and I think he has got a bit stale with that (lots of barre work). this sept he will be doing more contemporary and choreography as well. I am hoping it will free up his creativity again.I will see how that goes, and see what his new teachers at The Place think.
Yes, I think I will encourage him to start building a portfolio from now and still have the option in a year to decide and talk to his school through the year.
Basically I cant say what we will do.
Really, am I being too controlling ? Should I let him choose? I wasnt really guided myself and made some really unwise choices, but am acutely aware of not wanting to say "dont make the same mistakes I did"!

serenity Wed 29-Aug-07 19:52:55

It's difficult isn't it? But tbh I think you have to remember that whatever he does, he's got to do it for two years, so better to do something he really loves. On the other hand if he gets to the end of the two years and decides he should have done something different, it's not going to be too late to do something about it.

Glad to help though smile

fionawhite123 Mon 19-Dec-16 18:50:55

hi,
my daughter has sent in her application and has got no reply for weeks. She is starting to worry and is just wondering how long it takes to reply and how they reply(e.g- over the phone or y email)
thanks all
fiona

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now