Talk

Advanced search

Private tutor

(14 Posts)
midas Tue 21-Aug-07 17:07:02

Wondering if anyone can help?

I have tried searching through the net but have not been able to find anything.

I am looking for a private tutor in Erith/Dartford area.

I have a ds1 starting Y1 in Sept and need a tutor for him for maximum 2hrs on Saturdays.

He is, I believe a bright boy who had a reading level of YR1 (according to his report) when he finished reception, but he is just not very interested in doing school things. When he does he does very well.

I get frustrated trying to get him to read/write and do not want to ruin our saturdays.

There is the other issue of concentrating, he gets really bored quickly, will not watch a movie for more than 5 minutes or sit still in class, he tends to wander off and do his own things during lessons which his teacher was always on about.

He uses the cod liver multivites.

Blandmum Tue 21-Aug-07 17:13:36

I think that 2 hours would be a very long time for such a little boy.

I feel that you might be better served having a chat with his teacher about stratgies that the teacher and you can use to help your son to improve his concentration.

Best way to get a tutor would probably be to ask in the school if they know of anyone tutoring in their spare time. But TBH I'm not sure that extra tuition is what is going to turn things round in school for your ds.

cornsilk Tue 21-Aug-07 17:14:53

Agree that 2 hours seems a long time. My ds has two seperate shorter sessions - works very well.

Saturn74 Tue 21-Aug-07 17:16:07

Agree with MB.
Perhaps it might be helpful to look into less formal strategies for improving his concentration.
eg: pc games, memory games, using words as part of a treasure hunt etc?
Maybe buying him a disposable camera and encouraging to keep a diary or scrapbook.

ScummyMummy Tue 21-Aug-07 17:18:38

Agree with mb. He's very little still and will change a lot in the next year in terms of his schoolwork, I expect. Year 1 is often a difficult year anyway, ime. He'll suddenly be expected to sit down and concentrate on school work to a far greater extent. Can you play some board games with him to help his concentration?

LIZS Tue 21-Aug-07 17:20:31

Agree, and I think you'll find it hard to get anyone to tutor a child so young. Perhaps one of the TA's would spend an hour a week playing educational games and doing fun but strutured projects with him, rather than dry academics. You could always increase it if he cooperates. He may respodn to the increased formality of a Year 1 curriculum better anyway , if he is ready.

cazzybabs Tue 21-Aug-07 17:23:41

2 Hours is too long, far to long - he will not be able to concentrate for that long. Short but often will be far better.

If he does not like doing school things you will switch him off. I would aim to increase his concenration by doing things he likes - play lego, play a board game, paint, cook - not by doing things he doesn't like. Make up a story with him and you write it down, play computer games (there are loads of education ones), make a book with him about things he likes.

At the start of the term I would not expect my year ones to concentrate for longer than 20 minutes and that is not 1-1 without changes of activity.

midas Tue 21-Aug-07 17:24:44

Thanks for all that, his reception teacher had her own way in making him sit still.

He had a square carpet that he sat on during carpet time.

This will be the third time they will call in someone to assess him (2 nurseries, 1 school) and they have all said there is nothing wrong with him.

I did think 2 hrs might be too much and he is really quite ahead in most things in school just doesn't like doing them.

cazzybabs Tue 21-Aug-07 17:27:15

Some children do develop at different rates - he has advanced in his reading and writing, but now needs to do so in terms of his concentration.

TBH he sounds like a typical little boy to me - boys need to be practical. That is how they learn best by doing things.

Do you read to him as well?

midas Tue 21-Aug-07 17:30:22

Yes I do read to him most evenings. He loves it and asks questions.

Actually he sits still for bedtime stories.

MaureenMLove Tue 21-Aug-07 17:39:43

If you really must get a tutor for him, look in the Primary Times. I know it is distributed to your area to all the schools and its also online. There have definately been ads in the classifeds for tutors, as I know a friend of mine got a tutor from there for her dd.

jellyhead Tue 21-Aug-07 17:44:10

I looked ito getting a tutor for ds1 when he was 6.
Most of them say it is best to wait until they are 8. I'm glad now I didn't get one as looking back at it he was too young.

midas Tue 21-Aug-07 17:49:23

Thank you all.
I will wait and see how it goes.

samanthar Wed 29-Aug-07 17:01:42

have you got an explore learning centre near you ..theya re usaully is sainsburys etc its quite expensive about 80 £££s a month but is v.good for boys and that works out at abou the same as having a tutor 3 or 4 times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now