Talk

Advanced search

Prizes?

(6 Posts)
Flicketyflack Thu 10-Oct-19 15:46:59

Why would you award a prize in class for a piece of homework that was clearly done by parents?

Ds just started Secondary school and was asked in a lesson to make a map of a country which he did marking places of interest etc. At parents evening this week I was surprised to see 3d papier-mâché maps, framed maps with mini monuments & even a sour dough map!

Today son has texted to say the papier-mâché map won!

Why? Having seen it it is apparent a parent has had lots of input as it was so beautifully crafted.

Surely the point is learning to be self-sufficient and the actual detail of the Country they were highlighting facts about?

I thought we left this behaviour behind in primary school along with the Christmas Wreath or Easter Cross designs which could be exhibited at Tate Modern grin

Seriously why oh why do the schools reward this parental behaviour?angryshockhmm

Flicketyflack Thu 10-Oct-19 16:22:35

Just me then wink

sirfredfredgeorge Fri 11-Oct-19 10:42:03

It's secondary school, you may well be underestimating the ability and enthusiasm of the students. Certainly given you have no evidence other than the quality of the finished result you are being extremely unfair.

user1474894224 Fri 11-Oct-19 10:52:37

Ha ha....My friend and her husband 'help' their sons with homework. I was hearing about his menu that one had helped with the IT, the other the recipes and then when there was a type one adult fixed it, reprinted it and they sent it in. My son is left to his own devices - I figure if it's not good enough he will be told (and to be honest having seen the piece of A4 paper he is handing in for one piece of homework I hope the telling is soon.....the content is ok, but having been in his bag for a week it is screwed up, ripped and messy....) I have made suggestions and I will support if needed e.g. testing on languages, setting up my PC for him to do maths on. But what does he learn if I do it for him? Resilience, time management, the ability to be proactive, problem solve etc etc are all important skills for him to develop. Don't think anymore about it. You are setting your child up for life.

Flicketyflack Fri 11-Oct-19 14:49:30

Unfair sirfredfred I think it's the parents who are being unfair 😆

I did see the 'work' of the 11 yr olds hmm

RedskyLastNight Fri 11-Oct-19 15:05:01

Unless you know for sure that the children who produced the amazing artistic creations have zero artistic ability, it's not impossible that they were made unaided. So agree with sirfred you are being a bit unfair.

(my DD would make a much better job of a papier mache map than I would tbh!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »