Talk

Advanced search

Can child apply for school near my work

(9 Posts)
motherwhocraft Fri 04-Oct-19 19:54:08

I tried to search this online but I'm not sure anyone share the same situation. Me and my husband both work in our own company and we would like to know if we can register our child to go to a school near our work address instead of home address, so we can drop our son and pick him up without traveling back and forth. He is only 2 years old and I know it's a bit early to consider, I just want to know if it's possible and we can plan our housing according.
Any one know about this? Thank you.

LolaSmiles Fri 04-Oct-19 19:57:09

Admissions are based on the child's home address.
You can apply anywhere and school will apply the admissions criteria

Bluntness100 Fri 04-Oct-19 19:58:51

No it's about where you live,

However, if the school is under subscribed you may stand a chance, worth speaking to them.

LIZS Fri 04-Oct-19 20:01:08

State school - no, you apply in the January of the academic year during which dc turns 4. The admissions priority criteria will be published online and in a booklet. You would use your home address. If distance is the deciding factor in the event of more applications than places you may miss out by choosing one near work.

Independent school - not determined by address so you could register now and pay a deposit, but there may be an assessment before a place is confirmed nearer the time.

meditrina Fri 04-Oct-19 20:16:02

I am assuming you are in England and want a state schooolac.

Yes, you can apply to any school. But you need to be highly realistic about your chances of securing a place.

You apply through your home council, even if some of your preferences are in other boroughs, and the council coordinates with the other/s. The offer you receive will be the one you qualify for which you list highest on your form. If you qualify for none of your preferences, you will be allocated the closest school with a vacancy.

If a school is undersubscribed, then you will be offered a place.

But if there are more applicants than places available, the school has to follow its published over subscription criteria, typically (after the mandatory categories of LAC/SEN) this would be siblings in catchment, other catchment, other siblings, all others; in the category where the number of applicants exceeds the number of remaining places, then it will be by distance from the home address.

You need to look at your target schools and see what the 'greatest distance offered' was in your entry category. OK, past performance is no guarantee of the future, but if it's never been greater than 800m in the last 10 years, and you want to live 15 miles away, then youbare just not going to get a place.

prh47bridge Fri 04-Oct-19 21:48:15

You can apply for any school in the country but, as others have said, you must use your home address for the application. If the school uses distance as a tie breaker (which most do), you will only get a place if your home address is close enough. You will not be able to persuade them to use your work address instead. Your best chance of getting a place at a school near your work is to live near your work.

23Squared Fri 04-Oct-19 21:57:04

What happens if you change jobs? Will you change your child's school too? hmm

Apple23 Fri 04-Oct-19 22:49:00

For State Schools (assuming you are in England), the school application form invites you to state a given number of preferences, i.e. not a choice.

Each school with have published admissions criteria, which will vary, although criterion 1 is always looked after children. The others might be special educational needs, attendance at a church, having a sibling at the school, living in the catchment area... then the last criterion is everyone else.

The school will admit pupils in criterion 1, then 2, 3 etc. until it reaches a criterion where are more pupils than remaining places. Places are then allocated according to how close the home address is to the school as the crow flies.

If you are applying under the last criterion and live some distance from the school, you are unlikely to get a place unless the school is under-subscribed. Your Local Authority may publish data on distances from school of pupils offered places in the previous year, which may help you gauge whether you stand a chance.

Local Authorities are wise to people trying to buck the system and routinely check out the addresses applications are made from, so if you decide you need to be living closer to the school to get a place, you need to genuinely move house.

Drabarni Fri 04-Oct-19 22:54:04

It depends on how far away your work place is from the school, if it's within catchment area it doesn't matter.
They only look at the home address, you can't register a relatives address even if they would be caring for the child after school. It's to make it fair system.
Some schools have very wide catchment areas, it depends on your area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »